ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Diagnosing Fuel Pressure - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-12, 08:14 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Only way to get a pressure leak in the tank is via the fuel pump check valve. Do this, clamp off the line just in front of the tank and then check for a pressure drop between that and the engine bay. It's entirely possible too that your new pump has a faulty check valve. Not common but not unheard of either.
Old 07-27-12, 10:45 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mdbrown
Only way to get a pressure leak in the tank is via the fuel pump check valve. Do this, clamp off the line just in front of the tank and then check for a pressure drop between that and the engine bay. It's entirely possible too that your new pump has a faulty check valve. Not common but not unheard of either.
That would remove the fuel pump and would instead put the focus on the injectors, correct? Sounds like a good idea, I'll need a pair of vice grips.

p.s.: I'm a bit of a clutz and I did drop the new fuel pump on a tile floor from about 4 feet during installation...
Old 07-28-12, 06:51 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

If you have to use vice grips make sure and put a rag on the hose. If you can, vice grip makes a set specifically for clamping off hoses, those would be better. If you dropped the pump then I'd probably want to check that again. As for the fuel smell, it's possible too that if the tank has been topped off a few times the charcoal canister might have fuel in it...
Old 07-28-12, 09:44 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How are you measuring the fuel pressure, with the pump disconnected from the fuel system? How is the pressure gauge hooked up?
Old 07-28-12, 12:28 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Power6
How are you measuring the fuel pressure, with the pump disconnected from the fuel system? How is the pressure gauge hooked up?
I'm using a T-type adapter with one end hooked up to the car and one end closed off with a piece of clear hose and a cap. The black piece of hose is what gets connected to the fuel line.

Name:  486ac4a4.jpg
Views: 4785
Size:  257.0 KB

Originally Posted by mdbrown
If you have to use vice grips make sure and put a rag on the hose. If you can, vice grip makes a set specifically for clamping off hoses, those would be better. If you dropped the pump then I'd probably want to check that again. As for the fuel smell, it's possible too that if the tank has been topped off a few times the charcoal canister might have fuel in it...
Living in New Jersey, I have no control over my fuel tank. The car gets filled up by a gas attendant and is often topped off. If the charcoal canister does have fuel in it, does that mean it needs to be replaced? How would I test for it and why wouldn't it trip a CEL?

Last edited by Hayk; 07-28-12 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-31-12, 01:28 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

So I went back and did another pressure test on the pump. After 24 hours, the pressure dropped from 42psi down to about 10. I fiddled with the connections and hoses, and I don't see anything obvious.

Would the check valve be the only source of a leak in this situation? Could it be the fuel pressure regulator that's next to the pump? I want to be 100% sure before I do a warranty replacement.
Old 07-31-12, 04:46 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Regulator next to the pump? Only thing I've ever encountered is the check valve in the pump.
Old 07-31-12, 08:30 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This car is a return regulated fuel system the pressure regulator is under the hood referenced to manifold vacuum right?

Not convinced the pressure loss over that time is a big deal but hopefully you will test again with new parts to compare...
Old 07-31-12, 10:03 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Well the drop is pretty significant. It goes from 40 to 30 within an hour and then down to 20 something within the next few hours. After 12 hours, it was at around 13psi. I wonder if the gauge never read zero because of the residual fuel in the lines.
Old 08-12-12, 06:28 AM
TOLex168
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MrBooby, did you solve the problem?

I have ES330 at 115K and have intermittent smelling the gas in cabin for the past 5 years. The last happen was last Sunday; it was very strong smell and needed to open the window. Jack the car up and could not find anything and never smell it again for the hold week.

Background: Smell gas in cabin like over fill or passing gas stations during gas transfer. I could not duplicate the problem and it happens a few times a year. It did not happen over a year until last Sunday evening (hot/Sunny at 85 degree outside, gas tank almost empty, bumpy road at new construction zone/town, no gas station/tanker around).

Try to find and fix the problem when it was first happen, but I could not find/solve the problems. Just ignore it for the past 5 years. Any help for direction or suggestion would be appreciated?
Old 08-12-12, 11:59 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TOLex168
MrBooby, did you solve the problem?

I have ES330 at 115K and have intermittent smelling the gas in cabin for the past 5 years. The last happen was last Sunday; it was very strong smell and needed to open the window. Jack the car up and could not find anything and never smell it again for the hold week.

Background: Smell gas in cabin like over fill or passing gas stations during gas transfer. I could not duplicate the problem and it happens a few times a year. It did not happen over a year until last Sunday evening (hot/Sunny at 85 degree outside, gas tank almost empty, bumpy road at new construction zone/town, no gas station/tanker around).

Try to find and fix the problem when it was first happen, but I could not find/solve the problems. Just ignore it for the past 5 years. Any help for direction or suggestion would be appreciated?
I have not solved the problem. I did replace my fuel filter though and it raised my gas mileage. Although I need to drive a few more tanks of gas to confirm it.

I really couldn't tell you for sure what could cause a strong gas smell INSIDE the car. It could be gas fumes from the engine bay getting sucked into the air intakes. It could also be gas fumes coming in through the fuel tank access port underneath the back seat. The cheapest solution would be to replace your fuel tank seal, it's a little rubber donut that sells for about $10. Denso Part #954-0015
Old 08-12-12, 07:09 PM
TOLex168
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks you MrBoody for info and part #. The smell happen very short time, less than 30 seconds. By the time, I pulled over to check/smell around a few times, but I could not tell if it came from gas tank under rear seat or from engine bay via air vent.

I did have 05 ES330 SFMs manual, and I checked/looked around a few times regarding to fuel tank/lines/systems, but I did not replace any parts due to not fault found. I just took apart, inspect, clean and put back.

Last edited by TOLex168; 08-12-12 at 07:52 PM.