ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

4 License Plate Screws?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-02, 07:05 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts
Default 4 License Plate Screws?

OK, most of you will probably suggest that I get a life. But that being acknowledged ahead of time, it annoys me that my '02 ES300 doesn't have 4 screws for the license plate. And I don't like frames. Would there be any damage in drilling two small "starter" holes in the bottom of the plate area and buying two self-tapping screws? Or am I looking for trouble?

It seems that the two top screws are machine screws and not self tapping...so I had better not mess with them too.
Old 11-16-02, 11:39 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All Lexus models are two screwed. I wouldn't go drilling anywhere, I'd just learn to deal with it

Why not a frame fan? I think a nice simple frame really makes the car look finished.
Old 11-17-02, 12:57 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

:eek: Drill the holes if you want to set yourself up for early corrosion and rust.

If you are worried about the back of the plate banging against the paint, try a few strips of 1/8" thick weather stripping. Stick it to the back of you tag. It will absorb any vibrations and protect the paint. The 02 Lexus should have come with two black nylon screws, this eliminates the visual eyesore of a rusted plate screw.
Old 11-17-02, 12:59 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't even use a frame, and my plate looks fine (not bent). I wouldn't mess with the metal/paint, rust radiating from where the holes were drilled looks a lot worse than a slightly bent plate.
Old 11-17-02, 01:08 AM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the only license plate part i don't like is the front of my car.
everytime i take it to one of those super power expensive car washes with a free coupon, the front license plate gets all bent funny, and it makes me waste my time to bend it back. the strong wash also broke my gold package frame. now i'm license plate frame-less in the front. oh well.
Old 11-17-02, 01:18 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

If the car wash is messing up the plate and even breaking the plate frame, keep away from that carwash!

Personally I think its hard to make a front license plate look good on a car, the 98-00LS does a pretty good job, mounts it flush into the bumper cover.

What I would do is go to www.auto-stuff.com and pick up one of the thin chrome two holes license plate frames. They're very sturdy, even have a plastic lens that goes over the frame. Makes the car look very finished and will not allow the frame to bend. They also have pads on the back of them to keep the finish safe underneath.

Last edited by SW03ES; 11-17-02 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-17-02, 02:20 AM
zexen
Advanced

haha well the carwash is really good at it, and it's all free with the coupon's that come week after week. the carwash is called Car Spa. I'll look into the license plate cover, but it's only happened twice. no more messed up plates recently. thanks for the help, SW
Old 11-17-02, 03:32 AM
schu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally posted by Zeta
the only license plate part i don't like is the front of my car.
everytime i take it to one of those super power expensive car washes with a free coupon, the front license plate gets all bent funny, and it makes me waste my time to bend it back. the strong wash also broke my gold package frame. now i'm license plate frame-less in the front. oh well.
FYI
It is illegal to not have a front license plate in Texas. (This is the voice of experience.) Our 2002 RX300 does not have a good means of attaching a plate in front, so my husband made two brackets that he attached to the back of the bumper (or somewhere behind the bumper) and come up over the front.
Old 11-17-02, 08:34 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Default OK You Guys Convinced Me

...not to drill. So I used double sided tape on the lower corners of the plate and it now sits flush. And I can easily remove that tape without any damage if I ever change out the plate. Thanks for saving me from doing something stupid.
Old 11-17-02, 02:42 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Good stuff.

I can nee where you're coming from, plates in MD are always twisted when they come new lol. Thats why I originally started using frames.
Old 11-17-02, 03:02 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Plastic plate covers are great! If they are illegal in your state, get one which is 'clear', they protect the license plate so well, and relflect light just as the paint of your car does.

I have smoked license plate covers and they look amazing. It ADDS to the look of the car.

THE BEST PART: cops can't take pictures of the plates
Old 11-17-02, 08:35 PM
zexen
Advanced

Originally posted by schu

FYI
It is illegal to not have a front license plate in Texas. (This is the voice of experience.) Our 2002 RX300 does not have a good means of attaching a plate in front, so my husband made two brackets that he attached to the back of the bumper (or somewhere behind the bumper) and come up over the front.
i have the license PLATE, but the gold pkg cover broke...
hey schu, where are you in TX?
Old 11-17-02, 11:55 PM
schu
Rookie

Ahhh - frameless in Texas. That's probably not illegal.

I'm in Austin - 183 x Anderson Mill Road, another area under construction. Food is dropped by helicopter once a week. We can sneak out Old Spicewood though.
Old 11-18-02, 05:50 PM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

I always put a plastic cover over my plates. If it gets scratched or dirty after a while you can change it. A dirty scratched up lisence plate makes your new car look like crap!! just a thought.

Adam " Lexist "
Old 11-18-02, 05:53 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Here in PA. a new plate is only about $5. Cheaper than replacing frames or frame inserts. And truthfully plates still look new after many years.

Quick Reply: 4 License Plate Screws?