ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1995 Lexus ES300

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-20, 02:55 PM
anhtran
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Did you try adjusting the sensor as it is explained in this thread? There is no point in replacing the TPS if you don't adjust it..
Would you please explain me how to do adjusting the sensor? Or show me the link to read
Old 02-13-20, 04:04 PM
anhtran
Driver

Do you know the wiring and how to test TPS to know whether it is damaged
Old 02-13-20, 04:10 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

There is a link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...dle-1uzfe.html
Scroll down to Post #4. It is for the UZ engine, but the procedure is the same. Also, it doesn't mean that the sensor is damaged or bad, it means that it is out of alignment, meaning that your old TPS may still work fine, it was just out of alignment. To align the sensor, loosen its bolts and start twisting the sensor, as it is explained in a thread.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 02-13-20 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-13-20, 04:44 PM
anhtran
Driver

Disconnect the TPS connector - and I measured socket: pin 2 = 11.8VDC, pin 4 = 5VDC. Wire 1 and 3 no voltage
Old 02-13-20, 05:32 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Again, look at the thread. You need to look for resistance and continuity. And you also need to have some really narrow feeler gauges (0.65mm and 0.45mm).
Universal Metric Feeler Gauge Blades Universal Metric Feeler Gauge Blades

Originally Posted by Cure
Now unplug the sensor wire and plug in your connector. Place the 0.65mm feeler gauge under the stop screw. Jam the multi-meter pins into the back of the other connector so they hold themselves in. Pins go to #1 yellow and #2 black, there are numbers on the plug. Multi-meter set to continuity. Now rotate the sensor all the way to one side and all the way to the other, find the exact instant the continuity shuts off and tighten one screw. Now insert the 0.45mm and continuity should be restored. (Continuity on some multi-meters is a beep to show two items are connected. If you've never used the meter before and you want to test it, make sure not to touch the pins to each other as it could damage the unit. Touch something that’s metal instead.)

Now change to resistance mode and using the same #1 & #2 wires it should read “0.34-6.3” ohms as stated in the pdf. Now change to pins #1 & #3 and insert the 0.45mm. It should read under 0.5k ohms. Note: No matter what I do, my sensor sits around 700 ohms, I might need a new one but I’d love to compare notes with someone else…

Now when you insert the 0.65mm feeler the resistance should go to infinity. On my meter it reads 0.0 Million ohms.

That’s it, you’re done. Start and stop the car a few times to test everything out and take it for a test drive and let us know how it worked out for you.
Old 02-13-20, 06:05 PM
anhtran
Driver

Measure the old one and the new one I see the differences:
- Resistor between 1 and 4: old = 4.67 kohm / new = 3.55 kohm
- Resistor between 2 and 4: old = 25,5 ohm / new = 77.5 ohm
- Resistor between 3 and 4: old = 56.3 ohm / new = open circuit ????????

- Resistor between 3 and 1: old = 4.7 kohm / new = open circuit ????????
​​​​​​​- Resistor between 3 and 2: old = 81,5 ohm / new = open circuit ???????
​​​​​​​
- Resistor between 2 and 1: old = 4,7 Kohm / new =3,6 Kohm

It means that pin 3 of the new is isolated to other pins, while pin 3 of the old is connected. What TPS is right?

Open the connector, the voltage apply to pin 2 is 11.5V and to pin 4 is 5V, are these voltage ok?

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Old 02-13-20, 06:17 PM
anhtran
Driver

I think TPS is an variable resistor with 3 wires: 2 wires is ground and 5VDC or 12VDC, the remain wire has voltage change due to Throttle position, output to ECM, indicate the throttle position.
I do not know why my TPS having 4 wires and with 5V and 12V
Old 02-13-20, 06:33 PM
anhtran
Driver

I do not understand inserting a feeler gauge between the throttle stop screw and stop lever? For what purpose and what are feeler gauge? stop lever?
Old 02-13-20, 07:09 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Why do you have 4 pins - you are right, this sensor is a potentiometer of sorts. But in your case, your TPS is combined with the Idler Switch, which gives you the fourth pin and an error that you have.

About sensor resistance - it does seem like your new sensor is an aftermarket, so that may be your issue. Still, it seems like both of them are in specs, so you choose which one to install. I would better stick with OEM parts.

And about the feeler gauges - to be honest, I am not sure about that, since I have a different kind of sensor. It looks to me though as the stop lever will not touch the stop screw while driving, that is why you need those feeler gauges. You can test that theory after the adjustment by looking for a gap between screw and the lever.. With that said, I am sure that it is an official setting procedure.

P.S. I also found another post about adjusting the sensor, it has a bit more visuals..

Old 02-13-20, 08:01 PM
anhtran
Driver

Test TPS
Apply 5VDC to pin 1 (+5VDC) and pin 4 (ground). Measure pin 3 (TP signal) voltage: turn the throttle --> pin 3 voltage increases in both TPS, old and new.
Measure pin 2 (maybe idle signal or something i do not know) the voltage unchanged when rotating.
So I know that both TPS are good in variable resistor to measure TP position. But I do not know why in the old one, the Idle pin is not isolated with other pins like in the new one. If the Idle pin is not isolated can we conclude that TPS is damaged?
So what is the problem now and what I should do? It is not only replace the new one.

Last edited by anhtran; 02-13-20 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-13-20, 08:57 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by anhtran
Test TPS
Apply 5VDC to pin 1 (+5VDC) and pin 4 (ground). Measure pin 3 (TP signal) voltage: turn the throttle --> pin 3 voltage increases in both TPS, old and new.
Measure pin 2 (maybe idle signal or something i do not know) the voltage unchanged when rotating.
So I know that both TPS are good in variable resistor to measure TP position. But I do not know why in the old one, the Idle pin is not isolated with other pins like in the new one. If the Idle pin is not isolated can we conclude that TPS is damaged?
So what is the problem now and what I should do? It is not only replace the new one.
That is how it should be, that is how it tracks throttle position, but that is not what you are after. You need to adjust your Idle Switch, which it seems like your pin 2, and to do that, you need your Feeler Gauges and Continuity Tester. Please try following adjustment instructions.
Old 02-14-20, 10:45 AM
anhtran
Driver

Do you know Why does the idle has 11.5V.
Old 02-14-20, 11:16 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Do you know Why does the idle has 11.5V.
I guess because it goes in opposite direction (from 12V to 0V), you can test it by applying throttle, you should see the voltage decrease.
Old 02-20-20, 05:05 PM
anhtran
Driver

I reinstalled the old TPS, but adjusted its position how to the voltage E2 and Idle wire = 0.5V the fix the screws. It now reaches over 50 miles but without code
Old 02-20-20, 07:40 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

I reinstalled the old TPS, but adjusted its position how to the voltage E2 and Idle wire = 0.5V the fix the screws. It now reaches over 50 miles but without code
Great! Let's hope it stays that way..

Also, a really similar problem popped up recently on this forum, so maybe you would want to keep an eye on it, just in case.. Here is a link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-no-power.html.

Quick Reply: 1995 Lexus ES300