ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need your opinion - chrome or black pillars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 06:24 PM
andybisnut
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaddyMatt
The chrome pillars seem very out of place.. borderline tacky. Have you ever seen those cars riding around with chrome edging on every single side of every single door on the vehicle? Same concept here.. breaks visual continuity and looks plain tacky. And this is from someone who runs big bling wheels . But seriously, it's your decision/your vehicle, and if it looks good to you then go for it! You have a beautiful car either way.
It really is a good looking car. At fist, I was kind of on the fence about it. I have a friend who said it's "grandpa-ish." But the ES is definitely growing on me every day.

Try this ^^^. It works wonders for debadging, and I believe those are simply stuck on with adhesive. Remember to work slowly with the heat gun to avoid damaging anything you don't intend on removing
I'll give it a shot, I think. I am liking the chrome less and less every day. You guys talked me into it.

Anyways congrats on the car, what other mods do you plan on doing?
Thanks! I really have no other plans. Any suggestions?

Last edited by andybisnut; 08-23-12 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-22-12, 07:03 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by andybisnut
It really is a good looking car. At fist, I was kind of on the fence about it. I have a friend who said it's "grandpa-ish." But you have to understand that this guy would be driving around a tricked out Subaru Impreza at age 27 if he could, so you have to take what he says with a grain of salt. The ES is definitely growing on me every day.

I'll give it a shot, I think. I am liking the chrome less and less every day. You guys talked me into it.

I have to agree the 4ES has started to grow on me too. I used to prefer the late 3ES black on black look but I'm really starting to like the 4ES more.
Old 08-22-12, 07:20 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Remove the chrome. It's not a gaudy cadillac. Its LEXUS
Old 08-22-12, 11:42 PM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

I lol'd... if I had a dollar for every Ford or Chevy truck riding around down here in South Texas with 6 chrome vents from the local Wal-Mart plastered on each side, and half the time they aren't even lined up correctly.. well let's just say I would be driving an LFA. LOL
Oh my god I know exactly what you mean! They're everywhere, it's an epidemic! What part of South Texas? I'm from the North Houston area
Old 08-22-12, 11:44 PM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Megafast13
Exactly. American cars are the ones with chrome all over them. The Japanese keep it simple.
Old 08-23-12, 06:26 AM
CaddyMatt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlphaOnion
Oh my god I know exactly what you mean! They're everywhere, it's an epidemic! What part of South Texas? I'm from the North Houston area
San Antonio

And it's even worse when I see it on a BRAND NEW car... I can understand an old beater but why in god's name you would deface a brand new vehicle with cheap chinese bling stickers is beyond me

Can't speak from personal experience yet, as I haven't done anything but a debadge, but my next plans for the 4ES is going to be a set of coilovers to lower the car 2"-3"... should give the car an aggressive look, this ain't your grandpappys Lex! lol.

But for starters, dark tint all the way around would be a great first step with your car.

Last edited by CaddyMatt; 08-23-12 at 06:27 AM. Reason: grammar nazi
Old 08-23-12, 10:46 AM
andybisnut
Rookie

Well guys I took your advice -- I removed the gaudy chrome strips from the pillars. Here's a crummy pic from my phone. You can see that the paint beneath looks fine. Still have a little goo-gone cleanup to do, but overall, I think it's gonna look great!

Last edited by andybisnut; 08-23-12 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-23-12, 10:47 AM
andybisnut
Rookie

But for starters, dark tint all the way around would be a great first step with your car.
That's a good idea. I'll look into that.
Old 08-23-12, 10:48 AM
andybisnut
Rookie

Originally Posted by Megafast13
Done & done.
Old 08-23-12, 11:00 AM
andybisnut
Rookie

If anyone's curious, there was a lot of rubbery adhesive left over after I pulled the chrome pieces off. Here's an example:

Old 08-23-12, 11:10 AM
CaddyMatt
Driver School Candidate

Looks excellent! And yuck! ^^^ I'm glad that adhesive came off with no damage
Old 08-23-12, 12:59 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

How did you do it?
Old 08-23-12, 01:34 PM
andybisnut
Rookie

Originally Posted by MrBooby
How did you do it?
I let it sit in the sun for a while to warm up. Then I CAREFULLY peeled back a corner with a putty knife. Once I got enough to grab with a pliers, I blew a hot blow dryer on it and just carefully "peeled" the chrome piece down. They actually came off fairly easily/quickly.

The hard part was getting all the residual adhesive off. Basically I used the blow dryer method again, and tried to "roll" the adhesive down with my fingers, if that makes sense (got some nasty blisters now, LOL). Once I got all the chunks off, I just used Goo Gone to get rid of the rest.

BTW I talked to a guy at a body shop, and he said it was fine to just pull 'er off, as long as I did it nice & easy.
Old 08-23-12, 02:24 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by andybisnut
I let it sit in the sun for a while to warm up. Then I CAREFULLY peeled back a corner with a putty knife. Once I got enough to grab with a pliers, I blew a hot blow dryer on it and just carefully "peeled" the chrome piece down. They actually came off fairly easily/quickly.

The hard part was getting all the residual adhesive off. Basically I used the blow dryer method again, and tried to "roll" the adhesive down with my fingers, if that makes sense (got some nasty blisters now, LOL). Once I got all the chunks off, I just used Goo Gone to get rid of the rest.

BTW I talked to a guy at a body shop, and he said it was fine to just pull 'er off, as long as I did it nice & easy.
Nice, looks much better.