ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New Member and brake system question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 09:29 PM
vintagelex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Member and brake system question

Hey everyone, I just joined this forum but I've been reading it for quite a while I have a 1992 Lexus ES300, it's a one owner car my dad bought it brand new back in 1992 and we've managed to keep it in (I think) much better than average condition so far (pics will come later)

I have a question about a specific part of the brake system, and I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.. the steel brake lines leading to the rear passenger side wheel need to be replaced (most of the others have been done already) because they are very rusty and I don't want them to start leaking again, but there is a problem. There is the "load sensing proportioning valve" (that spring attached to the brake lines and the suspension) which is broken and rusted beyond saving. This will have to be replaced if the brake lines get replaced, but it seems there is absolutely no way to get one of these other than from the dealer. The guys at Car-X showed me that it would cost them $420 just to order the part, but said that if I found a good used one they could install that one. My question is where could I possibly find a good one of these valves that is not rusted away or broken? Seems like there is nothing for sale online, not even on Ebay. If anyone has any sort of idea where I could find one for a reasonable price, your help would be greatly appreciated! I attached a photo just so you can see what shape mine is in (sorry you cant see the actual spring part), and believe me it's worse than it looks in the photo..

Thanks for reading this and any help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails New Member and brake system question-brake-lines-1.jpg   New Member and brake system question-brake-lines-2.jpg  
Old 09-10-12, 10:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,846 Likes on 2,405 Posts

The part number for the valve is 47900-33080 which goes for about $280 from an online Toyota parts dealer. Your best bet is a salvage yard, go to car-part.com and select your car, then look for the brake proportioning valve, although I can't know if that is indeed the part you need they might be referring to the one under the hood not sure. But you can always find the wrecker near you and give them a call.
Old 09-11-12, 01:43 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 231 Posts

Man that looks rough. How often do you wash your car during the winter? I would also recommend a salvage yard.
Old 09-11-12, 01:58 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

+3, you can probably find one at the salvage yard.
Old 09-11-12, 02:10 PM
vintagelex
Driver

Thanks for helping, lexus2000 I checked out car-part.com and it seems they have it at a salvage yard close by for $35. Seems like a great way to get parts. I will write them an email or call them because I need to make sure that it is actually the correct part before I go buy it. I also have my doubts though that a "replacement" valve that's been in Illinois conditions for the past 20 years will look any better than mine. But it seems like they have several so hopefully it'll get figured out.

MrBooby, I know it looks very bad, but in fact it is only the things like brake lines and fuel lines that look like this, the underside of the actual car has no rust anywhere, all the factory undercoating is still in place and it's had no rust ever And what is rusted is getting gradually replaced.

I'll try to add some pictures of my car soon. Also, I'll be starting a new thread soon about the timing belt, as that needs to be done and I want to make sure everything that could possibly start leaking etc. is replaced while the mechanic is in there. I'll post an update when I figure out if the salvage yard has the part I need.
Old 09-11-12, 03:02 PM
vintagelex
Driver

I was able to get a somewhat better photo of the valve. Here you can actually see where it's broken.
Attached Thumbnails New Member and brake system question-lspv-valve-1.jpg  
Old 09-12-12, 09:58 PM
vintagelex
Driver

I called a local junkyard and apparently they have several of these Lexuses there for parts, so this weekend I'll go check it out. I also need a new antenna so hopefully they have that too.