ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Weird lowering springs result

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 08:24 AM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I Googled spring extenders and they're way too sketchy. And I looked at BigBird's coupe, and his stance is even all the way around. And it's even lower than mine. It looks more like coilovers than just springs.

OH MY GOD WHAT DO I DO?!
Old 10-16-12, 05:49 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

BigBird's red coupe had ksport coilovers until they blew lol.

his ride is long gone...parted out
Old 10-17-12, 10:36 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What exact product did you get. Have pictures of the parts before install? Anything odd about the spring fitment? Part numbers on the box and/or spring match what you ordered?

It just seems like you bought the wrong parts, or got sent the wrong rear springs...
Old 10-17-12, 12:20 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EEngineer
BigBird's red coupe had ksport coilovers until they blew lol.

his ride is long gone...parted out
He was on H&R's before then and had a super raked stance. Just like the OP's
Old 10-17-12, 09:21 PM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bdub215
Is that for sure a pic of when he had H&R's installed? In that case, I think my front ride height matches up with his. But his rear looks much lower than mine. Maybe I did get the wrong rear springs?
Old 10-17-12, 09:25 PM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

But another thing I failed to mention is that I have the Whiteline 20mm sway bar installed on the rear, but the front sway bar is still stock. I just got my Whiteline 24mm front bar in the mail yesterday but haven't installed it yet. Could that be the problem? I doubt it but it's definitely possible.
Old 10-18-12, 06:59 AM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AlphaOnion
But another thing I failed to mention is that I have the Whiteline 20mm sway bar installed on the rear, but the front sway bar is still stock. I just got my Whiteline 24mm front bar in the mail yesterday but haven't installed it yet. Could that be the problem? I doubt it but it's definitely possible.
Sway bar will have no effect. If you think there's still a problem, I'll swap you either my eibach's or my dropzones maybe you could be satisfied with something else.
Old 10-18-12, 10:25 AM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

If you think there's still a problem, I'll swap you either my eibach's or my dropzones maybe you could be satisfied with something else.
Wow haha that would be pretty cool of you. It's just that the Eibachs are softer than the H&R's and I'm looking for performance as well. The Dropzones are a thought, but with a drop like that I wouldn't be able to keep my factory shocks. But I'm pretty sure all my shocks need to be replaced anyways, so I might have to get some Koni's or Tokico Blues.
Old 10-19-12, 03:43 PM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

If you think there's still a problem, I'll swap you either my eibach's or my dropzones maybe you could be satisfied with something else.
I know that you have the front Dropzones on your Avalon, but you must not be using the rear springs, right? If you would be willing to trade your rear Dropzones for my rear H&R's, that would be FANTASTIC and it would definitely solve my problem.
Old 10-19-12, 07:03 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AlphaOnion
I know that you have the front Dropzones on your Avalon, but you must not be using the rear springs, right? If you would be willing to trade your rear Dropzones for my rear H&R's, that would be FANTASTIC and it would definitely solve my problem.
They're sitting in my basement because i like my ride comfort. And they're sitting in my basement because the strut mount doesnt sit flush on the spring until weight is on the suspension (Called D2 about this and they told me thats how it should be for a 2 inch lowering spring ) so If thats what you want, I can PM you my Info and we can get things on the road.

Stock VS Dropzone rear turned upside down.
Old 10-20-12, 01:48 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

To add: since I got my ES300 running today after doing Headgaskets & Valve seals I took this shot to show the stance on my eibach suspension
Old 10-21-12, 07:17 PM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

I just thought of something I had been neglecting this entire time -- my shocks need to be replaced. I figure that the weight of the engine is causing the front to sag because the shocks are doing nothing to hold it up, and the springs by themselves aren't strong enough to do so. The rear shocks are no better, but the difference is that there isn't nearly as much weight on them.

I am buying a set of Tokico HP shocks tomorrow and will install them as soon as they arrive. They're on sale for a killer deal too Hopefully that will solve my problem. If this doesn't work, then I will definitely trade Bdub215 for his rear Dropzones and that should do it.
Old 10-22-12, 01:28 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Shocks shouldn't make a difference here. Monotube shocks do have a "platform" of pressure and affect ride height a little, even though a shock itself, by nature, does not hold the car up, it only damps the motions. I am pretty sure the stock, and all replacement shocks save for a Bilstein, are twin tube type for our cars, which have very slight gas pressure, not enough to make a ride height difference.

Let us know how it works out though, there could be some other factors involved.
Old 10-24-12, 07:53 AM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

do we have results?
Old 10-26-12, 06:08 PM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

Well I haven't installed the shocks yet, but after much research I have concluded that they will make no difference in ride height. So now I will for sure be trading springs and that will hopefully fix this.

Quick Reply: Weird lowering springs result