ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Weird lowering springs result

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 10:25 PM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird lowering springs result

I just installed H&R's on my '94 ES a couple of days ago, and the F/R drop is weird. It appears that the front was lowered considerably MORE than it was supposed to be (based on the H&R website, which states a 1.3"F/1.25"R drop for these springs), and the rear was lowered AS MUCH or LESS than it was supposed to be. The car now has this super rake stance that I don't like at all. I know the springs are supposed to settle over about 2 weeks or so, but that still doesn't explain why the front was immediately lower than it should be. Does anyone know what the explanation might be? It's possible that it's just because of the weight of the engine, or that I might have been shipped the 4-cyl Camry springs by mistake.
Old 09-11-12, 07:24 AM
dewso1
Driver

I got mine lowered a week or two ago, and i could only barely tell the difference from stock at first, once they settled it was all good though.

Sounds like a spring screwup unfortunately. They didn't have part numbers stamped/printed on the springs for you to check?
Old 09-11-12, 09:34 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

got pictures?
Old 09-11-12, 12:58 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Which part number did you purchase? Was there anything odd about them, compared to stock?
Old 09-11-12, 02:40 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe you installed in rear in front and front in rear highly unlikely but who knows maybe, but yea what is the model number you bought? and pictures
Old 09-13-12, 09:49 PM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

I just thought of something else. Only the front shocks have bumpstops and the rear don't. I trimmed the bumpstops on the front down to 2/3 of their original length when I installed the springs, even though the directions didn't mention them at all. Could that possibly be the problem?
Old 09-14-12, 03:45 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

You're supposed to have bump stops on all four corners, as far as I know.
Old 09-14-12, 03:24 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaOnion
I just thought of something else. Only the front shocks have bumpstops and the rear don't. I trimmed the bumpstops on the front down to 2/3 of their original length when I installed the springs, even though the directions didn't mention them at all. Could that possibly be the problem?
The H&R's are supposed to drop the car like that. If you search Bigbird's 3rd gen camry on toyotanation, it'll probably look how your car does. Hell my Eibach kit did the same thing. its not as noticeable but its there.
Old 09-14-12, 10:18 PM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bdub215
The H&R's are supposed to drop the car like that.
In that case, I don't think the "1.3F/1.25R" measurement is very accurate. The front dropped way more than that. But now I need to figure out how to solve the problem. Is there any way I can make the front a little higher or the rear a little lower?
Old 09-15-12, 07:52 AM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AlphaOnion
In that case, I don't think the "1.3F/1.25R" measurement is very accurate. The front dropped way more than that. But now I need to figure out how to solve the problem. Is there any way I can make the front a little higher or the rear a little lower?
Run a different spring in the rear like I do on my Avalon. Spring extenders are also an option but I don't recommend.
Old 10-15-12, 06:14 AM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

Ok, I finally have pictures. Here are the pics of the ride height after installing the springs and letting them settle:

As you can see, the front is alot lower than stock. Way more than 1.3 inches. The rear has dropped noticably, but not nearly as much.

Here are a couple of pics of how I would like it to look (these were taken with about 250 pounds of weight in the trunk to even out the springs):

Any thoughts?
Old 10-15-12, 03:59 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

^ if you want that kind of drop, You need my custom suspension setup i have on my Avalon (Dropzone springs front, Tein S-tech Rear)

wheelswap and settle

Last edited by Bdub215; 10-15-12 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-15-12, 08:59 PM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

I really don't want to buy a whole second set of springs just for this. I'm thinking about either using spring extenders on the front,or cutting just a little bit off the rear springs. Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-16-12, 01:27 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

do not ever cut springs please. your lexus deserves better than that.
i'd say stick with it for a while, say 3 months. if you are still not happy, then get another set of springs.

on a less serious note, u can start hauling some fat chics to get ur desired stance
Old 10-16-12, 02:10 AM
dcollister
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EEngineer
do not ever cut springs please. your lexus deserves better than that.
i'd say stick with it for a while, say 3 months. if you are still not happy, then get another set of springs.

on a less serious note, u can start hauling some fat chics to get ur desired stance

thatta boy!!! break em in while breaking your back seat playa!!!

Quick Reply: Weird lowering springs result