ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Anything that bugs you about your ES?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-12, 08:12 AM
CaddyMatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by imherenow
well its def a design flaw..i think the cupholders are not deep enough to hold the bottles in place..If you look @ newer ES ( or any other car) the holders are very deep. And almost like 40% of the bottle is "sink" into the holder. I think if our ES were deeper then it would def hold any bottles in place..
About the only thing I like about my cupholder is how cool it looks popping in and out
Old 09-14-12, 08:36 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

I wish there was a separate button for the tilt function of the sunroof. I'm always paranoid about closing it, thinking that it will slide open.
Old 09-14-12, 08:49 AM
CaddyMatt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I wish there was a separate button for the tilt function of the sunroof. I'm always paranoid about closing it, thinking that it will slide open.
Same here, I always have to double check to make sure it closed correctly

Another thing to mention is the rain-sensing wipers. What stinks is if you start the car with water already on the windshield, you need to switch it out of "Auto" and then back to activate the system, otherwise it won't "calibrate" itself correctly. And down here in south Texas it gets mighty hot in the summer, which causes the wipers to randomly go haywire at around 100 degrees. Almost makes this feature not worth it.
Old 09-14-12, 10:19 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

The frameless window was one of the biggest design flaws, it was a dumb decision for something cosmetic that I'm willing to bet most ES buyers didn't even notice until after they bought it.

A car like this should be all about making the driver feel like they're in a cocoon. When I'm driving at highway speeds, the wind noise is really bad. I've make some "ghetto" alterations that have helped (like putting foam behind the weatherstripping to push it into the glass and some silicone paste) but the whole car probably needs new factory weatherstripping from the dealer, which isn't cheap. A traditional framed window even after many years would be fine.
Old 09-15-12, 10:08 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
The frameless window was one of the biggest design flaws, it was a dumb decision for something cosmetic that I'm willing to bet most ES buyers didn't even notice until after they bought it.
The frameless door windows are pure JDM style we can thank the Windom for that, I like them from the classic standpoint but they are not ideal. My 01 ES has 90k miles, my weatherstrip is in good shape and wind noise is not bad, I think if it is really bad you have an issue. So there is hope, if you keep your seals pliable. We have an 05 Outback with the frameless windows too and that one has more wind noise than the Lex.

Originally Posted by imherenow
well its def a design flaw..i think the cupholders are not deep enough to hold the bottles in place..If you look @ newer ES ( or any other car) the holders are very deep. And almost like 40% of the bottle is "sink" into the holder. I think if our ES were deeper then it would def hold any bottles in place..
My guess is they didn't really design a place for cupholders and the fold out thing was what they could fit into the space in the console. I have thought about some ways to make it "deeper" but it has to be something that folds up with the retractable mechanism, particularly if you have heated seats since the cupholder sits over the buttons which is another thing I don't like..
Old 09-18-12, 10:32 AM
toytrain13
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What really bugs me on my 2002 ES is the floor button "hand brake." Try using that when you're on a steep hill waiting at a red traffic signal! My 2004 Camry with the console-mounted hand brake makes this so much easier. I thought the floor brake went out with 65 Oldsmobiles!
Old 09-18-12, 10:35 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by toytrain13
What really bugs me on my 2002 ES is the floor button "hand brake." Try using that when you're on a steep hill waiting at a red traffic signal! My 2004 Camry with the console-mounted hand brake makes this so much easier. I thought the floor brake went out with 65 Oldsmobiles!
It's a parking brake, meant to be used when parked. LOL, it's not hill assist.
Old 09-18-12, 11:18 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hypervish
It's a parking brake, meant to be used when parked. LOL, it's not hill assist.
In addition, your car shouldn't be rolling back anyway.
Old 09-18-12, 12:31 PM
toytrain13
Rookie

Well, when I had a manual transmission, I was instructed not to use the clutch to hold the car in place when stopped on a hill- that this burns the clutch disk out. Do you mean you can just hold the ES on a hill using the gas pedal? Sounds like the same thing to me... Here's a link (see item 1) http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-a-Car...Back-on-a-Hill
Old 09-18-12, 12:59 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Well, when I had a manual transmission, I was instructed not to use the clutch to hold the car in place when stopped on a hill- that this burns the clutch disk out. Do you mean you can just hold the ES on a hill using the gas pedal? Sounds like the same thing to me... Here's a link (see item 1) http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-a-Car...Back-on-a-Hill
You're correct about the manual transmission, but this car is automatic. All you have to do is hold the brake pedal. My 98 ES can stay in place with my foot off the pedals, but I hold the brake just for safety.
Old 09-18-12, 01:50 PM
toytrain13
Rookie

So- right foot on the gas pedal, left foot on the brake? We're talking San Francisco hills by the way! That means up to 1:4 grade. My solution so far has been to not drive the ES in San Francisco!
Old 09-18-12, 08:01 PM
MCL23
Driver School Candidate

yea thats what I do when I'm starting from a stop on a very steep hill to prevent my car from rolling backward into the car behind me. Shouldn't hurt your brakes too much since you only need to hold the brakes long enough with your left foot to prevent it from sliding back a couple of inches when transitioning your right foot from the brake to the gas pedal.
Old 09-18-12, 08:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,033 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Can't believe I forgot to mention this, if the temperature control is set to COLD, every time you start the car it auto sets to recirculate. Very annoying.