ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Paint for the Es300.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 07:40 PM
JonnysES
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint for the Es300.

What do you guys think about paint? I would like black top to bottom. As far as getting it painted and getting all the dents fixed does $800 bucks sound good or what? What about painting it myself? I've never done anything like that but I know how to get know how. What do you guys think? My first post on here so I'ma newbie just trying to get into the forum world. Thanks for any Input.
Old 09-17-12, 02:36 AM
JonnysES
Driver

Surely someone has some input?
Old 09-17-12, 04:58 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Honesty, if you are only paying $800 then the paint job is going to be crap and be worthless in 2-3 years. < yes, I know that's a very generic statement, but it's true for that price, you are not getting quality paint. It depends on the shop, but like I said generally, a paint job costs much more.

Factory paint is great, and nothing will ever match the quality. I suggest not getting it painted. You get the dings pulled out if you want, but I'd leave the paint alone. A good paint job costs 2-3 grand, $800 will leave you with a ton of overspray, peeling paint in 2-3 years, etc.
Old 09-17-12, 04:16 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who's doing it, Maaco or someone in their private shop?
Old 09-19-12, 12:30 AM
JonnysES
Driver

It's a guy in a private shop, he said it would last about 4 years if I take care of it. Of couse it won't won't look like lexus paint. I'm assuming it's been wrecked because it obviously has some macco crap done to it now. My guy said it won't be like new but it will look better then a lot of cars. He said the paint and clear is a few hundred bucks worth it's not that single stage clear stuff either he also told me for about 300 bucks he could just re clear it. He is stripping every bit of the car to plastic/metal and filling dents(that car has about 4-5 dents all small). He's good no doubt, i saw his DD Mazda looks great. We had a car accident recently just a minor dent but our insurance company actually referred us to him, but the my guy who is painting actually owns the shop and it's been open for years and years. I'll put some pics up of what it looks like when i get a little free time. I did wax it so it went from like a 0/10 to maybe a 3/10.
Old 09-19-12, 12:48 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ask him what kind of paint hes using.. honestly the cheapest i've seen is $400 across the border here haha and they were pretty damn good..

but even a friend of mine quoted me $1100 for ppg paint, and he said its the cheapest he can do

honestly don't paint you're car unless you plan on keeping it for a while, and spend it on mechanical parts or something since you're care is a 96 and all
Old 09-19-12, 12:56 AM
JonnysES
Driver

Had some stuff on my phone. Ignore the little girl it's my neighbors daughter. The picture is with the fender waxed on the part without clear. I used that dawn to strip oils and grease. The video is what the car looked like before any wax. Should i just wax it every month or get her painted? http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2lnkehi&s=6
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by JonnysES; 09-19-12 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-19-12, 01:00 AM
JonnysES
Driver

Oh I have serviced her up dude, the works. Only thing I can see before too long is the rear motor mount and the dogbone mount and some brakes which I've done once but that was 13,000 miles ago. Lets just say I "drive" my car. Picking up a set of used tires soon though. Guess I'll just wax it though. I do want an sc300 with a 1jz swap. However I did forget to mention I'm taking the lights and trim and weather seals out my self as well as door handles, door mirrors, grill, emblems are already off. Maybe thats saving on the price a bit?

Last edited by JonnysES; 09-19-12 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-19-12, 04:53 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jesus christ, looks the EXACT same as my es300! cept mine is red, but clearcoat is peeling in the same places (maybe we had the same painter!!)

ha thats funny cause i'm getting some used or new tires soon haha

waxing won't do much since the base coat is already exposed/faded

honestly the cheapest and best option with best results is
primer, few layers of base, and like 3 - 5 layers of clear

but its pretty much whole new paintjob

don't do the 1 day paints either you get what you pay for

and pricewise, it'll save a little but if ask if him if you sand off the clear/and prep some of it it should take much off

but honestly it seems like hes using cheap paint
btw please don't just spray clearcoat on your car it will look like crap cause its going to have dark spots and light spots
Old 09-19-12, 08:23 AM
SexyLexy11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JonnysES
What do you guys think about paint? I would like black top to bottom. As far as getting it painted and motor fiend all the dents fixed does $800 bucks sound good or what? What about painting it myself? I've never done anything like that but I know how to get know how. What do you guys think? My first post on here so I'ma newbie just trying to get into the forum world. Thanks for any Input.
Black is a nice color, however whenever I see the ES300, I see it either in a nice silver or pearl white, never really black. I presume it would look nice though.
Old 09-19-12, 01:25 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Not a good idea to continue using dish washing soap after you get the car repainted.
Old 09-19-12, 02:58 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i was thinking of a paintjob on my ES, cuz original paint kinda wore off by now, went to a couple of shops, the cheapest i could find was $1500 at least
Old 09-19-12, 04:45 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Maybe ask him if he can use more quality products for a few hundred more bucks, that way paint job will last you 10-15+ years.
Old 09-20-12, 03:43 PM
JonnysES
Driver

The wax just makes it shiny for a month or two. It looks much better believe me. The base coat is completely dull until you wax it then it is almost as shiny as the clear. Look at the picture closely see the reflection of the sky? I only used dish soap to strip the grease and oils from the base coat before I waxed it best thing I could find at the time I don't wash the car in it trust me. i never wash cars in that stuff eats the clear. Yea it must be really cheap stuff I'll go see him soon and ask what it'll cost if he uses really good paint and i do all the prep work then I'll get back to you guys.
Yo gazor I doubt it we live 3,000 miles apart :P. Cars usually all peel the same starting with the trunk roof and hood then it works it's way down the doors and fenders.
Old 09-20-12, 04:52 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

You don't want to do prep work, believe me. I'm a painter by trade and this is what really annoys me-when people think that they can do "prep work" Average person doesn't have an idea what is involved in prepping a car for paint.
It's kind of like going in for open heart surgery and telling surgeon "hey Doc, I'll slice myself open to save a couple hundred bucks, how about it?"

Quick Reply: Paint for the Es300.