ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Grinding from the Front Brakes.. Need a job?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-02, 01:44 PM
utexas112
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding from the Front Brakes.. Need a job?

Hey guys

I am having a little grinding/binding coming from the front brakes when i bring my 96 ES to a stop. I am anticipating a brake job. I just wanted to see what I should expect to pay/where i should take her, etc. Dealership? Small private brake shop, does it matter?? Can i turn the rotors or do i Need to get new ones??

Thanks as always
Old 11-25-02, 03:50 PM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Angry

Yeah mine have jsut started to do that lately also.. i dont know if it is the weather out here, or if i need new breaks. I think that I do because it takes me longer to stop and i have to push down on the brake harder.

Adam " Lexist "
Old 11-25-02, 04:01 PM
Lvangundy

Mine are doing the same. They sqeueal ALWAYS.. and sometimes GRIND to a stop..

New pads and rotors too...!!??.
Old 11-25-02, 04:28 PM
jaymode
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The work can be done at a place like meineke. also if u dont mind having raybestos pads instead of oem pads, everytime you need brake work, you just need to pay for labor because they offer a lifetime warranty, so no parts to pay for.
Old 11-25-02, 05:52 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rotors will most likely be replaced. Rarely are they ever "turned". Autozone rotors run around $30-40 ea for standard no frills rotors.

don't let then grind too long. This will cause unneeded vibration, friciton and intense heat. Heat travels rapidly in metal and you could fry your wheal bearings, ABS/Traction control sensors, and anything else connected or touching. This will result in more $$$$ to fix a simple brake repair.

I agree with jaymode: meineke, midas, speedy, are all pretty good. Look for the life time warranty. Toyota and Lexus may cost more for parts and they may try to convince you that your calipers may need replacing.
Old 11-25-02, 09:35 PM
99LexusES300
Driver School Candidate

Seriously? Going to meineke or midas is better than takin it in to the dealership? Are the brakes still good even if theyre Raybestos and not OEMs? Are you sure the Raybestos are ok
Old 11-26-02, 01:08 AM
Sooner
Pole Position

I agree with jaymode: meineke, midas, speedy, are all pretty good. Look for the life time warranty. Toyota and Lexus may cost more for parts and they may try to convince you that your calipers may need replacing.

sounds like what meinke and midas do more than a dealer.make sure they put your shim kits back on.
Old 11-26-02, 12:39 PM
jaymode
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had raybestos padson my 93 lexus and they feel a little different but now i am used to it, but too bad i have to get rid of it.
Old 12-03-02, 07:17 PM
utexas112
Rookie

Will replacing the pads with non factory ones drastically change the feel of the car as it stops??

For Ex, will it still feels like it comes to a "sitting" stop (similar to a bimmer), rather than a lurch with the front end diving and bouncing back up like on a ford crown vic or something?

I like the way it feels when it stops now, when the brakes arent acting up, that is. It just kind of sticks down on the road.
Old 12-03-02, 07:58 PM
LexFather

Damn guys listen up.

Brakes squealing is the cars hint of telling you to replace pads. Pads are $20 for the cheap set of 2 to up to $80 for the best brake pads. They resurface the rotor, a $200 job or less.

If you ignore this warning, then the pads will wear down so low it will wear the ROTOR! Then you have to replace the rotor AND pads. This is a $500+ job. They have to replace the rotor, they cannot resurface it.

Now if u plan to UPGRADE your rotors, might as well wear it down and replace. That is what I did when I replaced my stock rotors to cross drilled on the ES.

Make sure everything works properly. Bad brakes causes vibration, bad steering and it stresses other parts of the car.
Old 12-03-02, 11:51 PM
1loudlex

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
[B]Damn guys listen up.

If you ignore this warning, then the pads will wear down so low it will wear the ROTOR! Then you have to replace the rotor AND pads. This is a $500+ job. They have to replace the rotor, they cannot resurface it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man you got ripped off!!!

Well actually it is not that much. I did mess up one of my front rotors really bad, and I just replaced 2 rotors, and got new brake pads for the front of my car and it only cost me 75$!!! I did the job myself with the help of a fellow CL member and it was really easy.

So just to let everyone know it was only 75$ and I got parts at NAPA. I know that might sound like a cheap place to get parts, but i will not have my car for that long a time. Just thought someone might be interested.

Adam " Lexist "

Last edited by 1loudlex; 12-03-02 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-04-02, 12:31 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm right with ya on the DIY stuff. I like to get my hands dirty. Just remeber to bleed the brakes properly when your done or you get to do it all over again in a couple of months, that is if your brakes don't fail you before then.

sj
Old 12-04-02, 02:02 PM
1loudlex

Yup.. we did that.. they are running great!!!!

Adam " Lexist "
Old 12-04-02, 05:55 PM
LexFather

I gave Lexus dealer prices for info, it does not mean that is the route I went
Old 12-04-02, 08:20 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default BRAKES

My opinion on brakes:

1. Always get the pads checked/replaced ASAP if you hear any screeching.
2. Unless you have pulsating, DO NOT get the rotors turned or replaced - unless they can show you the damage and that it's really necessary. Simply just ask for PAD REPLACEMENT ONLY. Rotor turns are typically done automatically by shops regardless if needed or not - because it's a big moneymaker for them!
3. Go to the TOYOTA dealer OR buy only TOYOTA/LEXUS brake pads for the DIY. DO NOT go to Midas/Meineke/Pep Boys and get the Lifetime Pads!!! Sure, the Pads are lifetime because they are SO DAMN HARD that they will actually damage your rotor over time! You want softer pads (Toyota) which will wear the PAD slowly over time and NOT wear the expensive rotor. Also - those "Lifetime" pads are so damn hard that they do not perform as well AND they will screech from day-one.

I have 115k on my 1995 ES300 and have owned it for 5 years and 85k and this brake strategy has always worked for me.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by Gekko; 12-04-02 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Grinding from the Front Brakes.. Need a job?