ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Car shopping: ES or GS???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12 | 08:43 AM
WheezerMF
Driver School Candidate

Default Car shopping: ES or GS???

Okay, here goes... This is NOT a troll, but I know posting my -first- ClubLexus post in the ES thread is asking for biased responses, and that's fine.

I just lost my Passat to a college kid with slow reflexes, and am in the market for a car. I need a car that will be dependable, low-maintenance, and long-lived. Unfortunately, this means I'm in kind of a hurry to find a car. I live in Indiana, and it will be a year-round car. The 2nd Gen ES and GSes are in my price range.

Questions:
ES vs GS??
300 vs 400??
Maintenance milestones & caveats?
Other suggestions in the >$7k range?

Thanks for your (un?) biased responses!!

Mark

PS: I loved the Passat. I inherited a creampuff, and it was a '99 GLS 1.8t with only 40k on it when it got bent. It was in -perfect- condition, and was a blast to drive. I was a bit fearful of the VW being a high-maintenance car as it aged, which is why I'm looking at Lexuxes (Lexii???).
Old 10-05-12 | 08:46 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode
CL Folding 25,000

imho, I would pick the GS400. One con is that if the starter goes, the DIY is 6 hours or so...my brother has a GS300, and it's been great. Though this opinion probably should not count, I have never ridden in an ES.
Old 10-05-12 | 10:11 AM
WheezerMF
Driver School Candidate

Is starter failure common?? (Am I showing my VW paranoia??!)
Old 10-05-12 | 10:23 AM
WheezerMF
Driver School Candidate

How about FWD vs RWD? I'm in Indianapolis, and am a pretty good snow driver (I grew up w/ a 1970 Firebird...).
Old 10-05-12 | 11:18 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

I love my ES, however I would go GS if I had to do it again. I really like the GS's. Though it would really depend on year and mileage. For example, I have a 99 ES with 120k kms on it, I wouldn't trade it for a 97 GS with 220k on it. Thats just me, I'm sure to each his/her own.
Old 10-05-12 | 11:20 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

FWD is better for snow. RWD is great for performance, but a major downfall in the snow.

If you want a car that's fun to drive get the GS. As far as which GS, that would be answered more accurately by the folks on the GS section of this forum. I'd say GS400 because of the extra power, but the GS300 has a legendary engine.

If you are looking for a more comfortable ride, I'd look at the ES.

Both are very reliable, so nothing to worry about in that aspect.
Old 10-05-12 | 12:06 PM
WheezerMF
Driver School Candidate

I think all Lexuses ("Lexii"???) are going to be reasonably bulletproof. I like the style of the GS, and RWD is always fun. I found a 2000 GS400 with 186k that might be an option... Several GS300s, too. But ESs are more available, and I'm really interested in a good deal on a car that'll be long-term reliable than anything else.
Old 10-05-12 | 01:27 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

i drove both ES and GS, i personally have a ES right now, but planning to replace it with a GS, i like it more, id vouch for GS
Old 10-05-12 | 04:43 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Why not find another Passat or maybe a Jetta GLI? As far as RWD vs FWD, with the right set of tires, I don't think it's an issue. I'm personally not a huge fan of the 2nd gen GS, but I think it would grow on me if I had it, just like the ES300 that I'm driving now.
Old 10-05-12 | 05:03 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

RWD is a better handling vehicle in all situations and weather if designed right which a Lexus is. Your preference should choose the vehicle. Do you prefer a larger or smaller vehicle? Do you prefer FWD or RWD? Do you like a sporting suspension or a softer more luxury oriented ride? Styling will be up to your eyeball. If fuel mileage is a concern the ES is a better choice. If you like to customize your ride I think you'll find more available for the GS. Reliability isn't really an issue as they should both be rock solid reliable if properly cared for.
Old 10-05-12 | 05:06 PM
JSM
Driver

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Why not find another Passat or maybe a Jetta GLI? As far as RWD vs FWD, with the right set of tires, I don't think it's an issue. I'm personally not a huge fan of the 2nd gen GS, but I think it would grow on me if I had it, just like the ES300 that I'm driving now.
Agree 100% on the 2nd gen GS. I love the first gen styling, but it looks dated now. The 2nd gen just dosen't seem sporty enough to me.
Old 10-06-12 | 07:18 AM
davensd
Rookie

GS for style and performance. However the ES is larger overall. I needless to say the 300 is cheaper to run.

Dave
Old 10-06-12 | 07:33 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

I say GS ^_^ but both well be day and night vs the vw maintenance
Old 10-06-12 | 08:22 AM
BradTank
Racer

I definitely think the GS is the better car, but I would rate the ES as slightly more reliable. An ES is also going to be easier and cheaper to service, since it shares so much with the Camry platform.

The cars are totally different though, if you liked your Passat, you'll probably like the GS a lot better, it's a much sportier car. The ES though is like a Japanese Buick, smooth, quiet and comfortable.

Something else to consider, I'm guessing a 2ES is a whole lot cheaper than a GS, around here you can pick up a nice 2ES for around $3,000. You'll be luck to find a GS at twice that price.
Old 10-06-12 | 08:50 PM
WheezerMF
Driver School Candidate

I think I need to get out of the garage and find a couple to drive and compare, so I can narrow down the ES/GS choice...

Hmmm... Another newbie question: ES300 vs 330? Much less "Toyota" appearance. Is the 330 a big improvement, or just BNG (bold new graphics)?

Quick Reply: Car shopping: ES or GS???