ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Crazy tip #1 Ram air set up. Really dope!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-02 | 07:17 AM
hoolcat
Rookie

Thumbs up Crazy tip #1 Ram air set up. Really dope!

Hay guys I'm sorry but after reading it over i noticed i left out a few huge part of the project so when i re write it ill let you all know and i'll have some pics of the project up[ too...
thanx guys

Last edited by hoolcat; 12-05-02 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-03-02 | 05:27 PM
jaymode
Driver

can you post some pics??? Any noticeable performance increase?
Old 12-03-02 | 11:24 PM
hoolcat
Rookie

I'm hoping to soon. I'm new to this forum as well. I took the car off the road for a little so that i could take the NOS out and do a top end rebuild. I'm Currently looking for some higher proformance stuff like lifters and cams, things like that. I'm really having a hard time finding part. So I am thinking of just replacing the old with new. to try to restore some power. if any one knows of any shop that sell parts that fit let me know.

For the short time that it was on the road with the ram air set up there was a diferance. It make s the pull (Front drive cars pull rather than push) more consistant (sp?) You know when you are driving and you get on it you can feel the car sometimes pull you forward for a second and then go back to normal well it makes the pull happen all the time. its the best 50 buck I've spent. the thing is you have to make sure its done right. make sure your seals are all air tight and your pipe is bent right to the right specs and also you have a goor air filter K& N make an Ok one for this car. Remember now your driving a Lex so make sure it doesn't look micky mouse. Now that i took the car off the road i have some new ideas im thinking about. Like for example removing the air box but still keeping the plastic hose the the air box conects to. Getting some pipe custom bent and running it all the way to the front bumper and slaping a k& n air filter on the end of it. I Think it should work because all im doing is moving the spot of the air filter closer to the hood rather than behind the battery. I'm yet to do that am im not sure it will work but it could if its done right. let me know if i'm wrong about this new idea. Also I'm thinking about putt9ing together a kit for sale that includes the pipe (bent to fit the ES 300 96) and all the stiff you need to complete the project. remember not only are you getting ram air you are geting cooler air as well. Pics soon I just need a digital camra -Peace Lexus Bro's
Old 12-22-02 | 10:20 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Question ram air

i am going to seem like an *** but ram air means air being forced like the firebird and camaro with the hoods with large cowls to funnel larger amounts of air.Which is being "rammed" in by forward motion.
Sorry to correct you the other thing is from what it sounds like you have is a short pipe with a filter?
which sounds nice when opened up that is for sure.
The short pipe sucks hot air under the hood which is useless except for the noise ( i used a short pipe once as well in 97 for 2 days,before i built a true cold air intake feeding behind teh bumper ) there is a noticable drop in power when the engine is hot with your system .

I know i loved the sound but do yourself a favour either throw out the pipe or build the rest of it the battery has to move a bit forward and the opening in the fender has to open a bit but it is a much better system and it saves lots of gas when combined with an exhaust system.
if you need help in redoing the system drop me a line
i really don't mean to sound like a hater but this message thing is real sh..
at explaing emotions
drop me a line if you need help making a new system, as i sure wish i knew people when was making mine
later