ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Should I buy this 1998 ES300 as my first car ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-12, 11:52 AM
TalRasha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Should I buy this 1998 ES300 as my first car ?

Hello all,
I'm new here. Recently, I'm planning to buy my first car. I found this 98 ES300 on the internet with 170k miles on it. The owner asked 3000 for it but it's has some problem.

The first thing is the check engine light is on, the owner said people in Autozone told him the O2 sensors caused this, and his just ignored it and that was three years ago. He drove this car with the light on for 30k miles without any problem since then.

The other things are the ABS light is on, and there is a noise comes from the back every time the car goes over a bump. According to him, those problem both caused by his son installing 20 inch wheel on the car. His son disconnected some wire behind the rear seat so the light came on but the ABS is still working, and also he changed the spring for the rear wheel so the wheel could fit in. Now the owner have replaced the 20 inch wheels with the original ones and somehow left some gaps back there causing rattle noises.

I've searched these problem on the internet and found this forum. People in here are really love there lexus . But sadly, I also found out the check engine light problem happened to many people. They changed a bunch of things, took their cars to the Lexus dealer and paid lots of money. But it seems no one have fixed this problem permanently. Then some people start to experience more serious problems like their car wouldn't start or couldn't shift in to overdrive or engine act weird.

My question is simple, is there anyway I could make sure this car can last 3 more years or 30k more miles before I buy ? Even the owner promised he would replace the o2 sensor and make the lights go off, I still don't have enough confidence in this car. Is there some kind of check or test a mechanic can do to ensure this car's quality ? or using 3000 dollars really can't get a decent car for everyday use.

Thank you for reading my post, any ideas would help, I would really appreciate it
Old 11-13-12, 12:17 PM
Elextricin
Driver School Candidate

We paid $85 to get our car inspected by a mechanic before buying it.

You should get a professional test on it so you know exactly what's wrong with it and exactly what you need fixed; if your heart is set on the car. Remember that its common to find hidden problems in addition the what u already know is wrong w/the car

You say you want the car to last for 3+ years. Also remember that your car must also past inspections so if it runs but cant pass inspection then its still a big problem

Good luck

Last edited by Elextricin; 11-13-12 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-13-12, 12:36 PM
cephas
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't sound like this guy took care of his car. There's a lot of these cars around, so I would be patient and find one that doesn't have these issues.
Old 11-13-12, 02:50 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

^ I agree.

These cars can be very reliable if maintained, but the previous owner doesn't sound like took care of it properly. Who knows what other underlying problems there could be.
Old 11-13-12, 05:11 PM
TalRasha
Driver School Candidate

Thank you my friends. We definitely will hire a mechanic to do the inspection. and take the car for emissions test before we decide to buy or not.

This owner said the car was 'always been maintained with syntheic oil and tune ups.' I quote. But it looks like he doesn't care about the rough paint on the hood, the tear in the leather seat or the CEL and the rattle noise. He said he still use this car on highway twice a week driving 260 mile every time, so in his mind this car can't be more reliable, it just not looks that great.

I'm confused I'm such a noob on mechanics... maybe I should save more to buy a new car.
Old 11-14-12, 03:26 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I'd skip on this car too. In some places a CEL + bad O2 sensors won't pass an emission/smog test. I'd also skip it because you know its been modded and driven by a young dude, who couldn't care less.

Yes, $3000 can get you a decent car, but you have to spend the time and look properly. Go check out other Lexus ES models and compare it to the condition of this one. I'm sure once you see what's out there, you'll get an idea of the value of these cars and perhaps upgrade your budget.