ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-02, 11:35 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

My check engine light just came on. I was driving home from work and the car was really cold, hadnt been driven for 5.5 hours, and the temp here is 34. I was accelerating from a stoplight and the light came on. My dad said take it to a toyota dealer, since the nearest lexus dealer is far from my school... anybody know why my car did this?
Old 12-06-02, 04:36 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i dunno man....me not a genius like that. but the one time that my check engine light *did* come on and the car still ran, it was the air hose that was broken...caused by the aging motor mounts.
Old 12-06-02, 04:52 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

how bad was it for the car when you drove it with the air hose broken? and is there anything visible i should be able to check to see abou tthe light... it could just be a connection problem...
Old 12-06-02, 09:41 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Originally posted by EGainer
how bad was it for the car when you drove it with the air hose broken?
ooo. broken air hose is like sucking soda out through a straw w/ a hole somewhere. but for the most part, it was pretty normal...just slow. it was really bad when i did burnout style takeoffs though, cuz that initial jolt would rock the engine back (bad motor mounts) and the gap in the hose gets stretched out...therefore, super slow. surprised my car didnt stall or anything.
Old 12-06-02, 03:04 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

well i guess that is not it then, my car performs the same...
Old 12-06-02, 05:22 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

eric, this is what my old (broken) air hose looks like. hard to see, but you see that split in one of the grooves? thats what i'm talking about. it only takes a minute to check under your hood. sorry, bad picture
Attached Thumbnails Check Engine Light-ahose.jpg  
Old 12-06-02, 11:51 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Thanks, I'll check it out. where is this air hose located?
Old 12-07-02, 12:12 AM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check engine lights can come on for so many different things. I think when mine came on last it was a bad o2 sensor or something. Or maybe that was my other car, I dunno. Just take it to the toyota dealer where they will hook it up to the comuter and figure out the fault code.
Old 12-07-02, 07:28 AM
es3windom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah man, u should take it to a mechanic, or better, take it to toyota.. I still have a problem with my es3 (windom) where the engine light STILL lights up.. and also the battery and other lights (which i cant figure out.. ) even though iv had the battery recharged and my alternator rebuilt with a new regulator)... my mechanic said my car is working fine .. but he just needs to figure out how to removed all those warning lights... URRRGH!! (any suggestions?)

- btw, my original problem was that, my battery wont recharge (farked up alternator)
Old 12-07-02, 04:01 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

yeah, i got it fixed. the vacuum hose had come off of the valve in the emmissions system. its fixed now. $36.50. as for es3, your lights may be coming on because they never reset your computer. when your car detects a problem, after it is fixed, they are supposed to reset the sensor so that it knows the problem is fixed. your car can only tell the problem, not know when it is fixed.
Old 12-07-02, 05:39 PM
es3windom
Driver School Candidate

Really?!.. kool i'll advised my mechanic with that...
the only problem is that when he revs up the car to about 2
the lights turns off..??? any suggestions?

thanks for the info.
Old 12-08-02, 04:58 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

esWindom- if I read this thread right, your car's check engine light or some warning light comes on if the car runs less than 2k rpm. at 2,000 rpm or higher the light goes off. If this is correct, then it sounds like the car is not getting a proper sensor signal (could be one of many) when less than 2,000 rpm. If it is voltage regulated, and since the alternator is belt driven and the belts tighten as the rpm's increase. I would suggest checking your belts and belt tensioners. They may be old or hardened (belts) or the tensioner may not be traveling its full range of motion. Both of these items are generally DIY.

It makes sense that the mechanic may not catch it, I figure you drove to him and the engine was above 2,000 rpm for an extended period of time thus recharging a partially drained battery.

For the fun of it, buy a new alternator belt. Put it on, and see if the problem goes away. If it does, great. If not, save the new belt or the removed belt. Always keep a spare around.

sj
Old 12-08-02, 06:48 PM
es3windom
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info, steviej my alternator belt has been replaced with a new belt.. Thats when i had it fully serviced just a couple of days ago...

My problem started when my car (after a major service) wouldn't start properly (it sounded like it was losing power)... If i placed it on PARK.. it sounds like it has astma.. it was reving up and down..
Then the warning lights appeared (battery light, engine light .. and some other light)

So i took it to my mechanic.. and the problem was that my alternator wasn't charging the battery.. So he recharged the battery. and he got the alternator rebuilt with a new regulator...
The car works fine... no problems .. no astma reving up sounds etc.... But the only problem is that the Warning Lights are still On.. My car is still in his garage..and the only time the warning lights turns OFF is when he revs up the car to 2k rpm..??

But i will tell him what u guys have been suggesting.. so thanks heaps..

BTW, im from Australia and my car is a 1995 Toyota Windom (rebadge to ES300)
Old 12-09-02, 11:26 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

If there are lights lit up, then there has to be trouble codes in the ECU. Like Nabeel stated earlier, have your mechanic pull the codes when the light is lit, if he has not already done so. The light has to be lit. Some codes will clear out of memory when the problem is resolved (when your light goes out).