ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Please help to know what size of nut on the 93 es300 rear bearing hub assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-12, 08:20 AM
hsiehd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help to know what size of nut on the 93 es300 rear bearing hub assembly?

I only have one car. I need change the rear bearing since it was broke.

I need to find out what size of nut on the 93 es300 rear bearing hub assembly before replace the rear wheel bearing. I am afraid I do not have right tool to take it out after I disassembly it.

Did anyone know what size of nut on the 93 es300 rear bearing hub assembly?

Thanks for help

David
Old 12-06-12, 01:35 PM
donbryce
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not 100% sure I understand your question, but...... remove the wheel, brake caliper, and rotor, turn the hub flange until one of the holes lines up with one of the 4 bolts, and try a 14 or 15mm socket. Assume this what you are changing http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-WHEEL-HUB-...e77e28&vxp=mtr

Last edited by donbryce; 12-07-12 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-06-12, 01:49 PM
hsiehd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by donbryce
Not 100% sure I understand your question, but...... remove the wheel, turn the hub flange until one of the holes lines up with one of the 4 bolts, and try a 14 or 15mm socket. Assume this what you are changing http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-WHEEL-HUB-...e77e28&vxp=mtr
Yes I want to change rear wheel bering as show on link not whole assembly.
That will have one big lock nut on the rear bearing hub assembly to lock the wheel bearing prevent wheel bearing coming out.
Old 12-06-12, 11:49 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

too weird..... I've read several posts tonight, all with similar problems I'm having...'

this one too...when i went to mechanic he showed me my RR wheel bearing has play. He said they are a sealed unit. I was expecting older style cone bearing with a big nut. I don't think that is the case...you have to replace as a unit.

I don't think you can just replace bearing, you have to re&re the whole hub assembly with bearing. I have not pulled mine apart yet, but will this weekend.
Old 12-07-12, 06:44 AM
donbryce
Driver

I now see what nut you're talking about. It's visible in the cut-away drawing of the rear axle hub/bearing assembly in the service manual. No info on the size, though. It may be that the bearing only on non-ABS brake equipped models can be replaced, but the ABS ones need a complete assembly, I'm not sure. The nut is visible in this pic, which also shows the ABS parts. http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Rear-Whe...b11e6e&vxp=mtr
Old 12-07-12, 07:55 AM
hsiehd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by canucklehe
too weird..... I've read several posts tonight, all with similar problems I'm having...'

this one too...when i went to mechanic he showed me my RR wheel bearing has play. He said they are a sealed unit. I was expecting older style cone bearing with a big nut. I don't think that is the case...you have to replace as a unit.

I don't think you can just replace bearing, you have to re&re the whole hub assembly with bearing. I have not pulled mine apart yet, but will this weekend.
It can be remove since I saw the drawing at autozone website before.
The youtube also show how to remove
I think the nut will be 32mm since wheel bearing ID is 30mm and I also watch the youtube so many time and find out the guy use 1 1/4" tools.

By the way Thanks everybody help.
Old 12-07-12, 08:11 AM
donbryce
Driver

Yeah, that's a 1 1/4" end wrench, about 32mm. Hope you have a workbench and vice...
Old 12-07-12, 09:18 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

great video. so is bearing-only a bit cheaper than complete hub? does the hub wear at all from a sloppy/worn out bearing?

One thing he didn't mention is how tight to do the big nut. since it seemed to break loose so easily with a wrench & hammer, does that mean it's only lightly tightened ? (like the older style conical bearing I was talking about earlier). My guess is if you are not careful, you could over-tighten that nut and over-stress/wear bearing.

once out, a bench vise would make those steps a lot easier. And that outer race can seize on way worse than he showed. Also, giving it a zip disc cut & then pounding off with a chisel is a long, ugly, tedious job. I've nicked axle shaft before with grinder disc, and had race seized on something ugly (on ATVs). I think I will still look at complete unit to save the time, hassle, worry.