ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2000 Lexus ES300 Suspension noise HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-12, 08:15 PM
we3lsc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 Lexus ES300 Suspension noise HELP!!!

Here's my situation that I HOPE someone can help me with... 2 months ago I bought a used in great condition 2000 Lexus ES300 with 150k miles on it.. This car drives/rides like a dream, I did notice on VERY RARE occasions that it made a little bit of a rattle noise(not constant) when on certain type of road, or hitting a bump, and the noise was similar to the noise my Alero made when it needed strut mounts, so I "ASSUMED" it needed strut mounts, so I had my Uncle who has an auto repair garage order the parts and put them on for me like he did my Alero. The guy he has working for him I ASSUMED he was test my car to make sure that's in fact what the problem was before installing the strut mounts, but apparently he didn't. Anyways after the strut mounts were put on my car constantly made rattling noise, well not being pleased with the repair job as my car was WORSE, MUCH WORSE than it was originally I took it to Lexus service dept, they said it needs struts(even though they were fine before the mounts were installed), so after they said struts I had my Uncle get new struts(Lexus was too expensive), after putting the rear struts on it did decrease the amount of rattle by 75%, but now SUPPOSEDLY I need stabilizer bar/links and struts for the front. My question is WHY when I very rarely heard rattle in the beginning, and having new strut mounts installed would I be having all this trouble now? And does it sound like it really could be the front struts & stabilizer bar/links in the front.. I am pretty sure the parts are aftermarket from the part store... HELPPPPPP PLEASE.. I want my car quiet again.... And should I order the parts for the front from Carson's Toyota?
Old 12-08-12, 08:18 PM
we3lsc
Driver School Candidate

I did have Lexus put swaybar/bushings on too before installing struts.. That help not one bit LOL
Old 12-09-12, 07:05 AM
JSM
Driver

Likely because things are getting moved around (taken apart). I have a rattle on my RR of the car,2001. Similar on small bumps and such but goes away when I step on the brake.
Old 12-10-12, 09:48 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I chose to ignore the noises...

After replacing;
Struts [monroe quickstruts]
Stab bushings
Stab bars
Control arms
*front/back

I've deduced its a flaw within the car, its been like that since my dad originally bought it.

I use aftermarket parts 'in fear' of still having noises once replaced for a 'premium' through Lexus.

My advice,

Live with it, keep it maintained - some things aren't meant to be ****ed with.

The suspension is so damn finicky on these cars, its not funny. Toyota definitely **** the bed with an overly complex design, IMO.

I still like the car, I just listen to the radio. I know my parts are good, and up to spec, so I can't let the noise drive me insane [no pun intended].

Btw, this isn't the first mention of this, there's been 47203942 threads on this very topic with no solution(s)... Not to mention, each car is different, my car is daily driven +30'c thru -30'c, rain/snow/shine/etc. so my suspension takes 'more' of a beating than a car that sees premium california roads, for example.
Old 12-10-12, 10:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Toyota definitely **** the bed with an overly complex design, IMO.
I don't see what is so complex about the suspension. If fact it's about as simple as an independent setup gets. I agree that the noises can be frustrating to track down, but using only OEM parts will get rid of them. Quickstruts and the like are IMO terrible products, sometimes they work great, other times they are useless and don't work right even when new. Aftermarket bushings can be dreadfully cheap, rubber that turns to stone when it gets cold.
Old 12-11-12, 07:07 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I don't see what is so complex about the suspension. If fact it's about as simple as an independent setup gets.
Yeah I LOL'd too, the Mac strut front with lower L arm, and rear multi-link chapman style strut with 2 lateral arms and trailing arm is practically the National Independent Suspension design of Japan for FWD (and older AWD Subarus) its been done for decades.

There might be something particular to the details of the Toyota version that make it rattle, or it might have nothing to do with suspension at all. IMO when a car gets old it will rattle you just have to live with it sometimes, not worth rebuilding the whole car trying to make it like new.