ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1997 ES300 Starting Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 07:57 PM
Avenel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 ES300 Starting Questions.

Hello, new ES300 owner here, I've been lurking these forums reading and collecting as much information about my car as I can (and there is a ton on this forum, wow). I just want to get off on the right foot with this car and have it last as long as I can. So, to the car and my questions.

(Look for the SHORT VERSION below if you want the very concise version.)

I bought this car just before new years and until today have had really no trouble with it. It's been well maintained by the mechanic that owned it before me. The major repairs it's had so far are the timing belt, 18,000 miles ago, all four struts and front lower control arm less than 10,000 miles ago as well as the catalytic converter replaced in august last year. It also had a complete tune up 6,000 miles ago. It's been inspected and runs fairly well. I should also add it's currently at around 260,000 miles.

The problems: So far, the check engine light has come on once with a P0420 code, which is the rear O2 sensor which I know about. The CEL has since gone away on it's own. So to my understanding the only problem right now from this is that the car will run a little rich until I replace that sensor.

Today I had my first real hiccup. I started the car and let it idle in neutral before I realized I needed to go get something so I turned the car off. Unfortunately, I forgot to put it in park before I did. I shifted into park and when I got back tried to start the car again. It wouldn't start. The engine would crank and almost turn over but just wouldn't start. I left it for a while and then depressed the pedal to, as far as I understand it, clear any flooding and tried again. The car started as normal.

I then stopped the car and tried again. Again, the car didn't start. Cranked, almost turned over, but didn't 'catch' and start. I then tried cleaning the battery posts and collars, which had a bunch of corrosion on them. After putting them back and then reseating them I tried starting while giving the car a little gas. The car started right up no problems.

But, if I let off the gas too soon, say before 10 seconds, the car will peter out again and stop. If I give it a little gas for a bit and then let off it will stay on and work perfectly. Any advice on what could be the problem?

I plan to replace the positive battery collar/terminal or whatever it's properly called since it is really rusty. Does anyone have a part # or link for the proper one? I'm not too sure about the ones I've found online so far.

Also, my gas is currently pretty low so I plan to keep the tank half full at the least from now on. All of my fluids are filled so I don't think those are the problem. I live in NY so it's pretty cold right now, but today was actually fairly warm, ~30 degrees, and it was the middle of the afternoon.

SHORT VERSION:

Car would crank, almost turn over and start, but couldn't quite do it. Cleaning off the battery posts and giving it a little gas when starting seems to have solved the problem (mostly). Letting off the gas within the first 10 seconds or so after a successful start will cause the car to peter out again, after those first few seconds it runs fine. What could have been or is a possible reason for this?

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by Avenel; 01-11-13 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-12-13, 05:38 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 231 Posts

Sounds like a classic case of a dirty Idle Air Control Valve and/or Mass Air Flow sensor.
Old 01-13-13, 08:25 PM
Avenel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll take a shot at cleaning the IACV and throttle body. I've read conflicting reports about cleaning the MAF sensor. Should I do it with a spray cleaner?
Old 01-13-13, 10:43 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Avenel
Thanks, I'll take a shot at cleaning the IACV and throttle body. I've read conflicting reports about cleaning the MAF sensor. Should I do it with a spray cleaner?
For the MAF, buy a can of CRC MAF Cleaner - it worked great for me. I had idle problems when I first obtained my ES. I remember it even throwing CEL codes when it got especially bad. Spraying some Carb Cleaner through the IACV seemed to have solved that problem.