ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Monitors won't run / complete

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 01:37 PM
mre2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monitors won't run / complete

I've posted about this before and pulling my hair out right about now. I had a CEL issue late last year (P1410/P1411) that was preventing me from passing smog. I replaced a couple of VSV's, EGR valve and position sensor, and several vacuum hoses. Reset the CEL and have now driven the car well over 1K miles and several tanks of gas. The CEL is off but the problem is the smog guy is telling me that the CAT monitor and two O2 monitors STILL haven't completed, and no sense in even re-testing until they've run and completed. I've downloaded the drive cycle specs and followed those religiously and repeatedly, still haven't completed. I'm thinking the ECU is fine since everything else is running. Too coincidental that O2 sensors would fail now when they weren't a problem before. The other monitors ran and cleared rather quickly, its just the two O2 monitors and the CAT monitor that just won't run. Any ideas? Could I have disconnected something somewhere when replacing the EGR? (I've looked several times, and I'm not that dumb, just wondering if I may be overlooking something) I've been dealing with a registration issue with the court and running out of time. I feel like retiring the car to get out from under this but its a great car and worth well more than I could ever get retiring the stupid thing.

Also is it true that smog will run and pass with 6 out of the 8 monitors having completed? (assuming no other problems of course)
Old 01-17-13, 02:29 PM
mre2000
Driver School Candidate

sorry, 1998 es300...
Old 01-17-13, 04:36 PM
hzt30
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your problem is most likely in the O2 sensors/circuit.

Do you have any pending codes in the ECU?
The O2 monitor will not run if there are any faults in the oxygen sensor heater circuit, if there are any pending oxygen sensor codes, or the engine coolant or vehicle speed sensors are not functioning normally.

If the O2 sensor monitor is NOT ready, it will prevent the catalyst efficiency monitor from running,
Old 01-17-13, 05:38 PM
mre2000
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info, the code reader I have is just a dumb reader, it doesn't display pending codes or I/M readiness... so just ordered a new one, will be here tomorrow. Tired of going to the smog place or Autozone to find out. Also, I'm curious if this makes sense, I found this while perusing for info today... See second bullet under Step Four... I've had times where I've had to jump the car in cold weather (not recently) and just curious if this battery issue applies to my ES? If so, seems like a no brainer to throw a battery in it.

http://repairpal.com/Drive-Cycle-Issues