ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

I'm back with another ES!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-13, 01:29 PM
zazag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good looking ES. The look of the head lights are so much better with the HIDs.
Old 01-20-13, 01:46 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks great!
Old 01-20-13, 03:51 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Might sound stupid, but maybe there is an extra chrome wheel in the spare wheel well? But the car looks great, always nice to see a mint es300
Old 01-20-13, 04:11 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexslexus
Thanks! I typed in the VIN on the Lexus service history data base and apparently the car was originally purchased from Riverside Lexus in California and was dealer serviced until 2003 when it was then listed as a pre-owned vehicle with 43k miles. 3k miles later within the same year, it reported this:" LOANER CAR GAS A LOANER VEHICLE" at 46k miles and got a list of services/checks reported as "first certified service" including an "idle air control R&R" and an evap system repair to cure a check engine light. No other dealer services were reported. The last entry was 11/13/2003.

Interesting...
That explains the steering wheel. Either way, the car looks to be in a really good condition. Let us know how it drives.
Old 01-20-13, 04:47 PM
Alexslexus
Driver School Candidate

That was good suggestion! I never even thought to do that... but only the black steelie resides in there, unfortunately. Darn... I thought I'd get lucky! I did find the First Aid Kit leather bag... still has all of the stuff inside. I velcroed it to the side of the trunk lining. I also figured out how to put my wipers in "summer" mode so that they now rest along the base of the windhsheid (thanks to the tip on here!).

I love this car more each time I drive it and learn new things about it. The only gripe I have so far is the lack of storage compartments... but I've been spoiled by the Accord. The Accord has a large cubby compartment under the dash center stack that can fit a lot of stuff (such as CD cases) and the cup holders are solid moldings, so I can put stuff like my cell phone in them without anything falling/sliding out. I use my ashtray as a phone holder in the Lexus. I have the same problem in the Allante... which has even less storage space, but that car is no DD by any stretch (it's lucky to get 50 miles per month).

Comparing this car to the Accord is a toss up of give and take. The Accord is a 2006 model "EXL" trim, so it's got a lot of nice features. I have heated leather seats, heated side mirrors, XM radio, 6-disc changer in the stereo headunit itself, steering wheel mounted audio controls, sunroof, auto/digital climate control, yada yada, etc. The interior of the 03-07 "7th gen" Accord was very nice for the class... they looked more upscale than the Accords price point and are my favorite Honda interior overall. HOWEVER, the cars roots of being a mid-priced family sedan are still very evident... especially when you drive a true entry level luxury vehicle.

The suspension refinement (although this can probably be said about all Toyotas vs. Hondas), sound insulation, leather quality, sound system, material quality such as the plastics and carpeting, the details, etc. are all superior in the Lexus. The Accord does not have a carpeted trunk lining (it doesn't even have a trunk LID lining), it doesn't have nice door sils with the aluminum strip accent, no auto volume up/down feature (although this is actually annoying to me sometimes!), no automatic headlights, only the driver's side window is auto up/down, only the driver's seat is power, you have to hold the sunroof button until the panel is open or closed all of the way, the cabin lets in A LOT of road noise (seems to be a Honda trait), and the suspension is bumpy and doesn't feel refined... though I have to say the car handles VERY nicely! Overall, I'm just left feeling like I'm in a relatively low budget economy car packed with luxury car features.

I still love it, though... it's been as reliable as a wood burning oven. I have 130,000 miles on it now and it still runs and drives like a new car, and the most expensive repair/maint. I've put into it was a set of brakes and tires! The car literally feels like it will go a million miles without skipping a beat.

I can't really afford to insure and maintain both cars (I also have the Cadillac in the garage along with 2 bikes to upkeep)... so the Accord may have to go. I've been told countless times that it's crazy to give up an 06 model year car for a 2000, especially as a DD, but I just love the Lexus more... it doesn't bore me like the Accord does. I take pride in detailing the Lexus, admiring it and thinking to myself "Man, what a sleek and beautiful car!". I can assure you that I have never felt that way about the Accord! I am confident (or at least hopeful) that if I maintain the Lexus, it will go the distance... possibly even further than the Accord would have. I've been doing A LOT of research online and have read enough positive reviews on all Toyotas with the 1mz-fe and seen enough of them with 300k+ miles to feel a lot better about putting a for sale sign on the Accord.

Last edited by Alexslexus; 01-20-13 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-20-13, 05:56 PM
Alexslexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
That explains the steering wheel. Either way, the car looks to be in a really good condition. Let us know how it drives.
So I take it that the car was used a service dept. loaner vehicle at some point in it's life. The dealers generally maintain their service cars pretty well.

The car drives flawlessly... very smooth, quiet and with no hesitations, strange noises (except for the belt squeal/chirp when I first start it and when the AC is on...need to get that looked at), shakes, shimmies, etc.

I have to get used to a 4-spd. auto after being used to the 5-spd in the Accord... I'm always waiting for a 4th shift that never comes. The engine is at about 2k rpms at 50 mph and 2500 rpms at around 70. Is this right?
Old 01-20-13, 07:01 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

So I take it that the car was used a service dept. loaner vehicle at some point in it's life. The dealers generally maintain their service cars pretty well.

The car drives flawlessly... very smooth, quiet and with no hesitations, strange noises (except for the belt squeal/chirp when I first start it and when the AC is on...need to get that looked at), shakes, shimmies, etc.

I have to get used to a 4-spd. auto after being used to the 5-spd in the Accord... I'm always waiting for a 4th shift that never comes. The engine is at about 2k rpms at 50 mph and 2500 rpms at around 70. Is this right?
No, the
LOANER CAR GAS A LOANER VEHICLE
means that the owner was given a loaner car while the car was being servied.
Old 01-20-13, 07:43 PM
Alexslexus
Driver School Candidate

Aaahh, gotcha. Thanks!
Old 01-20-13, 08:07 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Gorgeous car!
Wish I could find one this clean.
Old 01-20-13, 08:57 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Yeah, that's right. I also think that the transmission is the Achilles' Heel of the ES. I feel like it was engineered for 55mph, because when you go over that speed, the car doesn't feel as smooth. Another gear would have probably yielded 30 MPG, but then again, people didn't really care about gas mileage in 97-01.
Originally Posted by hypervish
No, [it] means that the owner was given a loaner car while the car was being serviced.
My bad, thanks for the correction.
Old 01-21-13, 06:19 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Smile

Aaahh, gotcha. Thanks!
Originally Posted by MrBooby
My bad, thanks for the correction.
You're welcome!
Old 01-21-13, 09:51 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

How about a chrome wheel? or four... Don't sleep on this one... they rarely come around in good shape - let alone chrome!
Old 01-21-13, 11:17 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice, welcome back, I dont think I will ever let mines go hahaha, she will be with me forever, 210K+ miles on her and she is running better then ever even with the crap I put her through
Old 01-22-13, 07:34 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^I feel the same way, even though i got another car, i never want to get rid of the es300
Old 01-22-13, 02:26 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
How about a chrome wheel? or four... Don't sleep on this one... they rarely come around in good shape - let alone chrome!
You can see some corrosion in the corner of the spokes.

Quick Reply: I'm back with another ES!