ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Help! Check Engine Light won't allow start

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 06:28 PM
BillCarson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Check Engine Light won't allow start

I'm just looking for any thoughtful comment.

2004 ES330, Wife leaves interior light on overnight in cold garage. Car does start and drives 20 miles, is parked for an hour, then operated on a couple of stops. Then car dies. Since battery was old, I replaced it in a parking lot, but with new battery, the car won't start or show the slightest hint of trying. All I see is the "check engine" light.

Can anyone explain this?
Old 01-30-13, 07:06 PM
moonphase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a battery trickle charger on the battery at two amps and fully charge the battery, as new batteries don't usually have a full charge when purchased. See if the check engine light goes out, and the engine starts after the full recharge. If the car is not close to an electrical outlet for the charging, you might need to jump start it, or remove the battery and take it home to recharge.
Old 01-30-13, 08:06 PM
moonphase
Driver

Just a thought, you should also remove anything that is plugged into the lighter, or power port that could be using power while the car is turned off. Good Luck!
Old 01-30-13, 08:16 PM
BillCarson
Driver School Candidate

Moonphase- Why would the check engine light be on even if the new battery isn't perfectly charged? My problem is that the car is now 5 miles away in a parking lot. After all I've been through, I'd like to believe there is some reason that an additional charge on the battery would help.

Also, even if the new battery wasn't perfectly charged, you'd think the engine would turn over a little or you'd hear the selonoid make that clicking sound. But this car won't even begin to turn over. Of course, now all the lights and stuff work.
Old 01-30-13, 08:54 PM
kakarot
Rookie

Originally Posted by BillCarson
Moonphase- Why would the check engine light be on even if the new battery isn't perfectly charged? My problem is that the car is now 5 miles away in a parking lot. After all I've been through, I'd like to believe there is some reason that an additional charge on the battery would help.

Also, even if the new battery wasn't perfectly charged, you'd think the engine would turn over a little or you'd hear the selonoid make that clicking sound. But this car won't even begin to turn over. Of course, now all the lights and stuff work.

Check your alternator.

Last edited by kakarot; 01-30-13 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-30-13, 09:27 PM
moonphase
Driver

I understand your difficult day! You might purchase a digital multimeter to test the battery which should have a fully charged voltage of 12.65 volts. If the voltage is lower than 12.65, you have a low charge on your battery. Hopefully the terminals were cleaned with a wire terminal cleaner and dielectric grease was applied when the battery was installed. New battery terminals often have oxidation which inhibit power flow and should be cleaned before installation. Good Luck!
Old 01-31-13, 06:52 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Here is my theory: your check engine light is on because one or more sensors detect a low voltage condition, causing them to throw a code. However the CEL will not cause your car not to start.

Your bes bet now is to get a boost and see if it starts. If not than re-check your battery power and ground cables and terminals, all fuses, your security system, and your ignition switch circuitry.

Do you have an aftermarket alarm system or remote start? If so, disconnect it.

Also try starting with the transmission in Neutral, and use another Master key if you have one.

Phillip
Old 02-04-13, 09:54 AM
BillCarson
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem fixed

Well, unfortunately, I had to take the car to a dealer. I'm not exactly sure why things happened the way they did, but the alternator has been replaced. At some point, maybe in trying to jump start the car, a big circuit breaker of some kind blew. That stopped the car from starting even after a new battery had been installed. So I spent about $600. Dang!
Old 02-04-13, 12:14 PM
kakarot
Rookie

Originally Posted by BillCarson
Well, unfortunately, I had to take the car to a dealer. I'm not exactly sure why things happened the way they did, but the alternator has been replaced. At some point, maybe in trying to jump start the car, a big circuit breaker of some kind blew. That stopped the car from starting even after a new battery had been installed. So I spent about $600. Dang!
Glad you solved the problem.

Symptom of a fail/weak alternator for future reference.

If you put in a new battery and the car won't start and there is no clicking when turning over, it's a weak/dead alternator.
All lights*radio, horn is still functioning at a minimum.
Engine light flicker on/off intermittent
Your vehicle losing power while it is moving or jerking
All light turn signal radio starts to die down or slowly dim.
When you step on the gas pedal the car does not want to move.

These are some of the symptoms that I have experienced due to a weak/failed alternator.
There could be more other symptom.