ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

93 ES300 front strut replacement Qs

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 10:35 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 ES300 front strut replacement Qs

First, sorry for re-asking something that's probably been asked lots over the years. i did a search for struts, and in the tech section. Mr. Booby has a good write up for the 97-01 models. otherwise, i wasn't getting good hits.

I get a clunk or rattle every time I drive over bumpy road, on right side. My alignment mechanic buddy said strut is done and the mount is cracked. He mentioned they have "quick struts" where you just swap out entire unit. anyone ever heard of these? where to get?

I am NOT looking for performance. I will probably sell car in the next year or two, and at 140K miles, it is becoming a frustrating, never-ending money pit, so I don't expect to go much more than another 60 K or so before it's just not worth sinking more into it.

By the time I'm done I'll have spent $2,000 to buy car, another $2,000 to fix all issues (the vast majority of work done myself). I still have an ugly body on this unit with a scrape or mark on almost every panel.... sorry... I'm whining again...

point is: a cheaper strut replacement is fine with me. Or maybe a very slight, low budget upgrade (KYB?). What are the options, and is there a complete "quick strut" I can re& re?

any good DIY articles for my model/year?
Old 02-01-13, 11:53 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,970 Likes on 2,502 Posts

AFAIK they don't make a complete front strut assembly for your car. So you will have either build a strut from all new parts, or re-use some parts from your old struts such as the bearings and spring seat.
Old 02-01-13, 12:04 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

I was coming to that conclusion but I found a complete assembly from amautoparts.com, their part # AM-3065400774. $203 for a pair, shipped, one year warranty. Thinking this is probably low quality.

I was on rockauto seeing what it will cost me to assemble KYB. Not sure if I need "sealed strut" (which seems to be specific to L & R , with the spring saddle/perch in place), or the "serviceable strut", which just seems to be the cartrdige and is not specific to side. Also, they don't seem to sell KYB bellows kit, only other brand names.

if I get the KYB sealed units, with bearings, mounts, & Gabriel brand bellows, will cost me $75 more = $278. Not sure on Gabriel quality for the bellows. Anyone have a recommendation on beloows brand to get? they are all so close in price, i don't mind spending $10 more if the quality difference is significant.
Old 02-02-13, 01:20 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

I found another ebay seller with a complete strut assembly for $74/side, shipped & 1 year warranty. Another seller has 2 complete struts for $130 lifetime guarantee, but only for 97-01. In order to build my own it looks like I'd need strut, bellows boot & cushion, strut mount & bearing. In KYB, I think I could assemble 2 of them for about $200 in parts. I'm told no need to replace coil/spring.

pre-assembled is a lot easier to swap out. I know quality is probably questionable in cheap version but at the rate I'm dumping money into this, i think I'm not going to get more than a couple of years before i say UNCLE!!

oh yeah, and on their ebay listing, autoparts sells the exact same set up for $185.
Old 02-08-13, 08:16 PM
Lex2Swift
Driver School Candidate

I also have a 2es model and in need of front and rear struts. It's a 1992 manual I just picked up with 150k on the dot. I think I'm going to be the guniea pig and try these cheaply made quick struts. http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-01-Toyota...sories&vxp=mtr

Sorry for the long link and did not mean to hijack the thread, but at 137 for both sides It seems like a a cheaper fix and worth a shot.
Old 02-09-13, 08:47 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

how do you figure yer hijacking the thread? yer bang on topic here.

on your link, those are REARS only. AM also sells the fronts for $189, but didn't want my business. there were other cheap ebay sellers for the same or less for a rear set.

I found another ebay seller for $203 for the front quick struts. I'm sure they won't be as good, but quick, easy and car won't last forever at this point (my mileage is similar to your's and I am spending lots to fix many things that wear out at this mileage). Mine arrive on Monday.
Old 02-09-13, 03:21 PM
Lex2Swift
Driver School Candidate

Sounds good and keep us posted on how they feel. Am said that they sold 280 of this brand of quick set struts last year with 0 returns. With a 1 year warranty I'm saving up for front and rears now. Are you going to put them on yourself?
Old 02-10-13, 12:54 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

yes, I will install. very easy DIY job. funny, one of the reasons for the complete unit "quick " assembly.

we must think the same way....I saw 1 year warranty and though tit was decent. (or as long as I own car... or as long as comany is in business....or as long as car lasts..whichever comes first). I thought it was enticing, but reality is: easier to offer long term warranty on something you know won't have to pay out for above reasons.
Old 02-10-13, 12:57 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

oops posted twice

Last edited by canucklehe; 02-10-13 at 12:59 AM. Reason: oops, double posted...
Old 02-10-13, 11:22 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 232 Posts

There was a thread for the 2ES suspenion, not too long ago. I remember the person described his experience with KYB parts, so you could look into that. I'll try to find it for you.
Old 02-10-13, 02:14 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

do you remember if his review was favorable?

i get my all-in-one set up tomorrow so I'm committed to that.
Old 02-10-13, 04:43 PM
Trixster23
Driver School Candidate

I'm quite interested in this thread. After much soul searching I've decided to repair my 96 es that has 254k. Found a compete set of struts and shocks on eBay for 154 with free shipping, also was told the l control arm required replacement, and found a set of r&l lower control arms for 90. My question is what is a fair price for installation?
Old 02-10-13, 05:48 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

the thing about struts.... for $154 I assume that just got you the cartridges, so you still have to disassemble the strut, compress spring, you should re& re bellows boot & rubber stopper, new bearing & new mount. that all takes time. if they are complete with new springs and ready for swap out = less time.

for swap out x4, plus lower control arm re& re , i think about 4 -5 hours. if struts have to be taken apart and the other pieces that I described need replacing, i think add another 2 hours.
Old 02-10-13, 06:28 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 232 Posts

Here, you can read through this thread if you'd like. The OP had a 96 ES

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...uspension.html
Old 02-10-13, 09:13 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

great link, thanks for the good info. wish I'd read it before. I have no doubt i am receiving the cheapest parts, but I have a really bad clunk so anything that improves that will be good enough. not a long term keeper either.

Quick Reply: 93 ES300 front strut replacement Qs