ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Parking brake working??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-02, 11:56 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Parking brake working??

OK, before I was about to go to Home Depot to complete my x-mas shopping for today, I decided to engage the parking brake at Strawberries just for the heck of it since I don't use it that often, and I figure it might tell me whether it's currently operational on my car or not. Well, for some reason, I forgot that I left the parking brake on as I drove out (the 'BRAKE' light was on), so I immediately disengaged the parking brake ('BRAKE' light off), especially when I felt the engine shudder I thought the purpose of the parking brake is to leave the car in its parking position until the brake is released. Is this telling me that my parking brake is not working properly? If so, what should I do? I have never seen the 'BRAKE' light lit up when the parking brake is not in use, but I checked the brake fluid, and it is full and fine. Please leave any comments on this matter, thanks!
Old 12-15-02, 01:48 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You started driving with your parking brake engaged---car should be relatively fine, and you have learned a nice lesson because I am sure the shudder scared you a bit. If you were able to keep driving, that does not mean your parking brake is non-functional.
Now, your red "brake" light is lit up in your dash?? you might have messed up a spring or a cable, but since you said you hardly use your parking brake, i *believe* its "o.k."....ES brakes are actually "drum in disc", Although it's not ideally safe, you can live with just your regular brakes for a while, unless you park on hills or drive in funky adverse conditions. Fix it when you have time.
Old 12-15-02, 02:21 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I have a feeling my parking brake should be OK, although it startled me for a moment when I felt that awful shudder :eek: Well, I'm planning to go to Midas first thing in the morning and have them do an entire brake inspection just so nothing is obscure between me and the ES's brakes.

However, I have noticed for a few months that whenever I apply the brakes the first time after I get out of park (especially every day before I go to work), I hear a whining, squeaky noise coming from the front. But afterwards, I don't hear anything unusual when I brake. I searched through some old posts in this forum, and some of them mentioned that it's probably coming from initial pressure coming from the brake lines to the pads, and that it's normal. Well, hopefully Midas will shed some light in this matter when I bring my car there tomorrow morning. It's nice that they're open on Sundays!
Old 12-15-02, 03:21 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Smile well done Midas!

I brought my car into Midas this morning, and told them about the squeaky noise problem I've been getting. They took my car out for a drive to get some sense of the problem, and then after coming back and inspecting the brakes, they told me the problem is coming from the rear E-brake shoe area, where it's all dusty and crappy inside. I was pleased that they even invited me to actually see this problem, and I would never have thought the problem would come from that particular area. I also never knew the E-brake shoes are located underneath the rear rotors. I guess Lexus inadvertently forgot to check the E-brake shoes when they resurfaced the rear rotors last year.

At any rate, long story short... they cleaned up the E-brake areas, paid $40 for their services, and drove off noise-free from the brakes. Midas made my stay comfortable with plenty of heat, car magazines and TV. This is my first time ever taking my car to Midas for any kind of service, and definitely won't be my last. Thanks, Midas, for a job well done!
Old 12-16-02, 12:18 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was taught to always apply the parking brake no matter what the parking condition, it will help to keep the cable, springs, adjusters, and shoes in working order. Constant motion eliminates the freeze ups.

A little noise upon first brake application can be normal, espicially if you are in moist climates (rain, fog, snow). Removal of surface oxidation or rust during the first braking creates the noise. As you found out, dirty brakes make noise too.

My uncle is a service manager at a Midas in MA. I'll pass the good word.
Old 12-20-02, 01:15 AM
fallabel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I'm a big proponent of always using the parking brake. I was told that it helps to even out the wear on the brake pads.