ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Replacing 6x9's / Headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-02, 04:41 AM
Seattle ES300
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing 6x9's / Headlight question

I just replaced the stock Bose 6x9's in my Acura and wanted to transfer them into my '95 ES300. Do I have to take out the whole back seat and deck?

Also, I wanted to clean the inside of the projector low beam. It appears to have a "glaze" on the inside of the glass. I may clear the lights while I'm at it. I did it for my CL and I love how it looks. How many screws hold the housing in and do I need to remove the bumper first?
Old 12-16-02, 11:32 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As for the 6x9's, you will have to remove the back seat and rear deck to get at them. To get the back seat out, pry up on the front of the bottom bench, there are three clips holding it in. Then you can get at the bottom bolts for the seat back, then you'll have to lift out and up I believe on the seatback. Work with it a little and you should get it. You'll have to remove the panels on the C-pillar to get the rear deck, be careful not to break clips when doing this and removing the deck, a door panel remover tool is helpful, a screwdriver can help in it's place.

The headlights are easy to remove, there are three bolts, you should be able to find them if you look around; and one clip that you'll have to pry out on with a screwdriver. If you can't find it by looking, more detailed instructions are in an old thread or two about the clear corners, my memory is a little fuzzy.

Good luck.
Old 12-17-02, 03:08 AM
Seattle ES300
Rookie

Thanks!
Old 12-17-02, 01:06 PM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're going to put the bose speakers from you're acura in your lex, don't forget to hook up the bose amps. depending on your model, they might be ON the speaker itself or mounted under the rear deck. that's what makes those speakers kick.

are you sure the glaze on the headlights are on the INSIDE? you just might need a little buffing on the outside to clear it up.
Old 12-18-02, 03:47 AM
Seattle ES300
Rookie

I thought about that and I ended up using clear plastic polish on the housing. It did help, but the lenses still seem hazy to me. Maybe it's just an excuse to clear the lights...
Old 12-21-02, 02:43 AM
jewelberry
Driver School Candidate

Default Speaker Replacement

I'm not sure about the new Acura CLs, but I remember my older Acura Legend's Bose system had 2ohm speakers all around - you should check and make sure your Bose speakers are 4ohm rated -you may or may not be able to tell the difference right away but if they are 2ohms like in the older acura bose systems, you may gradually damage the speakers in the long run. Also factory bose systems in cars are very carefully matched with their factory amps to produce accurate sounds - I wouldn't expect to have the same sound quality you had in your CL just by putting the 6x9s into the ES3. I currently drive a same year ES3 as you and after about five different sets of sound system in my car, my advice to you is if you are going to keep your stock headunit and stock amp( which I believe is no more than 15watts rms perchannel), you are better off keeping the stock speakers(if they are still working) - I realize the stock sound system in our ES3 doesn't really live up to Lexus standards(in my opinion), but they are matched this way to produce the best sound possible. I have replaced my stock system years ago (headunit, amp, speakers) so I don't quite remember how it sounded back then, but if you really want better quality sound in your car, prepare to invest some time and replace all stock units.
Old 12-24-02, 05:57 AM
AntBaker
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem with my headlights. What I have found out is that the plastic cylinder "thingy" that is in the center of the engine bay part of the lights are busted so any smoke or water vapor that builds up and gets in there causes the cloudiness so you may want to check that.

Also, I remember seeing a post awhile back to where you have to bake the headlights on 200 degrees or something to release the glue and then get in there and clean them out.

Since we are on the subject of headlights, I was wondering a couple of things. First of all, does anyone know where I can get a set of '96 headlights in the TX area (hopefully fairly cheap). Second, does anyone know where I could get a set of those "angel eyes" and how much also?

Laters