ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

My ES is no more-very painful accident story (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-02 | 10:10 PM
Lvangundy

She's ok and seems fine..

Still think she should go to the doctor just to make sure..

Attached Thumbnails My ES is no more-very painful accident story (pics)-12.jpg  
Old 12-17-02 | 10:11 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Ouch! meZoom! I hope you're OK. Yes, see a doctor.
Old 12-17-02 | 10:39 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Wow. I'm amazed the airbags didn't blow, given the way the front end crumpled. Hope everything is OK, and you either get it fixed, or get another Lexus.
Old 12-17-02 | 10:52 PM
NEO GEO
Driver

Cool

Man o Man thank god you and your pass. didn't get hurt. now something like this makes me appreciate i took mine off the road for the winter.
Old 12-17-02 | 11:14 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

I'm glad you're o.k..
Old 12-17-02 | 11:35 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

no passenger, just me. Now the story I promised. whhhhhhhwwwww.....
THE SHORT VERSION:

I was driving on the freeway solo by myself, connecting from one FWY to another...in the very right lane of that pic...see the lanes merging sign? i was in the very right. i lose control, hit and knock over a light pole, keep going, and end up hitting the guardrail, where i landed. slick roads due to rain, 12 midnight. many other factors also. Please no "you should have/shouldnt have"s please...I cannot take it.
thank you and stay safe out there, folks.
Old 12-17-02 | 11:46 PM
NoLexNoSex
Driver

my condolences over your poor baby, Mezoom.

Alas I have also been in a crash on Rt 202 near my house...but it wasnt as bad...some hood crumple, screwed up bumper and right lens little askew...yours kinda reminded me of mine....yeah...
Old 12-17-02 | 11:50 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Default LOOOOONG VERSION

Hey Gang, now, the story all over again but with lotsa stuff I want to say:
This area is less than 1 mile from my house. I have driven here thousands of times by now, in rain, in darkness, you get the idea. I know how the car handles on this road, I can still close my eyes and imaginarily drive through it in my head...I know it that well.
Well, on a just-rained Tuesday morning at approximately 1210, I was going home. The 405 southbound connector to the 90 westbound...I take the curve like I do normally...out-in-out. I still remember the last thing on my mind before this happened, it was the CLUBLEXUS logo...I was thinking how neat it looks. As I was coming out of the turn at about 45-50mph but no more than 50, i have established, I was *supposed* to be gradually sliding from the apex of the curve, where I am "in" w/ the turn, to a steady "out." Somewhere along the way, my car really lost it. Ever been on IndyJones or Alice in Wonderland or those rides at Disneyland? Know how they scare you w/ the quick left swerve-right swerve-left serve sequences? That is what happened, sorta. I remember about 3 L-R-L swerves. My car was completely doing this on its own by now. Ever played a driving/racing game on PS2 or the computer w/ a steering wheel instead of a handheld control? You know how the steering wheel moves itself left and right, back and forth when you hit things?? That was happening too. By now, I knew I totally lost control. I was in third gear, downshifted to second. I let go of the wheel and just covered my head with my arms as best as i could, which was good, as by now my arms, which were covering my head, were banging against the seat belt column on the left, and jolting me left and right. The car careened to the left finally, and my front right corner hit the light pole that was standing in that patch of median there that Lvangundy posted. As I was covering my face practically, and cuz this was so quick, I dont remember which way/how many times/etc, but I then shot straight into that guardrail to the right, where I came to a stop....
Old 12-18-02 | 12:25 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Default continued...

so now i was up against the guardrail, actually I was facing it head-on, but when the car stopped, I was sorta facing the wrong way in the road there and my left front was kissing that guardrail. tail end was sticking out into the lane. sucka. By now I had knocked over the light pole completely (it didn't come down on my roof---just shot straight ahead), and it was laying across about 4 lanes on the main portion of the FWY...very bad. within seconds, 4-5 cars hit the pole, and they come careening towards my way. Now I have caused pain for *other* people...something I always promised myself I would try not to do, if at all possible. Funny, my CD player skipped during the melee but after my car came to a stop the music came back on...of course i turned it off and glanced at the clock. It was a full 4 minutes and about 20 cars later until someone stopped to help me. My cell phone was in my pocket in my jacket at the time, but now it was gone...stuff strewn across everywhere inside due to the violent shaking. The man that stopped handed me his celllie so i called mine to find my phone...under the seat or gas pedal i forget. My car still runs, drives, and everything. No airbags deployed as you can see. My torso hurt a bit because I hit the steering wheel, but the impact was not direct because my arms were covering me, remember? If I had not done the "duck and cover" thing, I would have hit my face directly on the steering wheel, as my arms took it for me. As i write this, it has been 20 hours or so passed, and still no real aches/sores/pains but I wont be surprised if they arise. I am surprised I am ok like that...must've been the flex arm hang practices, aint that right Papasmurf? No I am not built like Chyna or anything. It was so quick as it happened....I remember thinking "oh nonononono, oh no" as I was losing control. I thought for a quick second as I was going through the pole and the guardrail that I was going to DIE. So quick that I didnt have time to be fully scared til afterwards. Oh man...my car saved my life. My baby is damaged bad...I feel like I owe my life to my ES...I love her so much I miss it too. **BIG sigh.**

Lesson: always wear seat belts.

bye now.
Old 12-18-02 | 12:33 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

cars come and go, they can be fixed.

The important thing is that you are OK.
god bless.
Old 12-18-02 | 01:41 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Glad your ok, you will be back just like me. I have recovered from my last accident when I lost totalled my car and lost around 5k from my bodykit and rims and thats not including fixing the car. It take a while, but you will be ok.

Old 12-18-02 | 02:55 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

MeZoom: I think everyone here at ClubLexus wish you the very best in a speedy recovery. (oops, shouldn't have said "speedy") Sorry... Thank God you didn't get to hurt however, injuries seem to pop-up several days after an accident. We usually see patients in Xray days after an accident with shoulder and back injuries. You should really see a doc. What also worries me is why not one single airbag deployed after hitting a light pole and the side rail. Scary stuff... Take care of yourself okay!

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 12-18-02 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-18-02 | 03:09 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Default SRS will not deploy on an "offset" impact

Looking at the pictures, it looks like the front corner, passenger side, took the brunt of the crash. The airbags are not designed to deploy on a crash that far off-center. There's even a warning in my 96 owner's manual about that (pictograms showing what crashes will and will not set off the SRS).
Old 12-18-02 | 10:54 AM
njes300
Pole Position

Sorry dude, Just thank god no one got seriously hurt .
Old 12-18-02 | 01:26 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

thanks guys. a lil over 33 hours?? and still no real pain...maybe sore, i guess i "took it like a woman". the only things getting me through this is talking to people...really helps, and realizing that even the best of the best crash too. i am flipping through my CART/F1 tapes and watching my favorite drivers lose their pieces...somehow it relieves me a little to know they do it too, and as long as theyre not hurt bad.
Currently waiting for the insurance adjuster to come decide on a total or fix decision. either way, i would be ok, but i *want* my baby fixed. meanwhile, i got no ride anywhere. hm.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, take care out there.

Quick Reply: My ES is no more-very painful accident story (pics)