ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

My ES is no more-very painful accident story (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-02, 02:59 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to be late here, but sorry about the accident meZoom. Important thing is that you walked away. Cars are replaceable, but not people.
Old 12-25-02, 03:44 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default UPDATE

hey its christmas y'all. the insurance adjuster man came to look at my car yesterday, apparently, which is a WEEK after my accident...kinda slow, if you ask me. I got a letter from him in the mail (regular snail mail, not email) last friday basically saying "please call us back asap"... but of course, friday, he wasnt in, saturday/sunday hes off. My car is still sitting at the auto body shop. the auto body people told me that the insurance adjuster man told them he was gonna check my car out last friday afternoon, and if not friday, then definitely saturday morning. well the shop isnt open saturdays usually, so they had to open up especially for him....and he doesnt show up. needless to say the body shop folks are kinda annoyed. and he Just showed up TUESDAY.
much thanks to folks replying i wish everyone safe driving out there and hope you dont have to go through what i did/am. it SUCKS. yay for supportive (and not so supportive ) folks around me.
Old 12-30-02, 04:43 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Default MAKING SOME PROGRESS

TODAY- insurance man just called, gave his OFFICIAL judgement, my car is fixable. i will be getting a check for $5800. the downside-everyone involved forgot to calculate the rear bumper that is torn at the side, as they thought it was there from before...i mean, they didnt even bother to ask. ok the goodside-bodyshop was already working on the car, they got me a NEW hood instead of a used one. i gotta see how well they can colormatch it now. i didn't even know they had new hoods for our year left, lying around. where are these new parts for used cars stored? i wish i could buy a brand new 95-96 ES or something. the bodyshop thinks they will be done a short while after the new year lets up...give or take a few days, so there is some hope now that i can get my car back before i leave for japan. guys, i am having dreams at night where my ES appears...that bad.

thanks for reading

Last edited by meZoom!; 12-30-02 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-30-02, 05:59 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stay on the bodyshop, especially after you get the car back.
Bring it back with the slightest rattle or noise, make sure everything works in every setting. Don't let the body shop say the car was out on the street too long after they finished for it to be their problem.

sj
Old 12-30-02, 07:16 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

oh and make sure they don't rip you off by using wierd parts on the car. the body shop our ES was taken to said that they were going to put the grille from the "new" lex on ours... it was just some crappy "knock-off" grille. and this was when the 2002's just came out, so it couldn't have fit. but yeah. if ANYTHING wierd goes on mechanically, take it back and yell at them until they fix it. it's the best way to get things done... especially with bodyshops.
Old 12-31-02, 04:55 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

thank you zeta and steviej. you folks actually encourage me to fight for my rights! lol.

new bummer- called up bodyshop to make sure they were working on left rear portion of bumper (will probably have to replace whole bumper for tiny cut/shred), and the bodyshop did not believe me when i told them the cut was not in the bumper before the accident. i believe they are working on it now, and i will refuse to settle for a shredded bumper, but the guy was like "uhhhh, ok...." toootally hesistant to get to work on that part. i am now digging through pictures i have of my car trying to find a shot of my car before the wreck w/ a close up of that portion to prove to them, but who takes pics of bumper corners in close up?
Old 01-04-03, 07:42 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Default ALMOST DONE!!!!!!!!!

My car is at GLENDALE LEXUS (HI GUYS!!!!!!!!! ) to get a check up, and also cuz my ABS light in the gauge panel won't go off. My ABS actuator is located right behind where the really smashed up headlight was, so I guess it got *really* messed up. My hood is brand new, like i said, and everything else is used-headlights, other stuff, etc. I don't know the exact extent of the damage interms of what else needed to be replaced. I get 1 new tire but dunno bout that wheel....I think i SHOULD get a new one cuz it is messszzzed up from the accident.
something-something about they "painted the bottom because it was old and the color was off." I dunno if they mean the 2-tone bottom color bumper/fender in the rear, or they re-colored my scratched up undercarriage(???), neither of which make much sense at this point.

There are some things I should be getting replaced, but I don't want to divulge too much info, my insurance man might be reading this, and NO I am not a bad person trying to commit insurance fraud. whew.

PS-insurance check came in the mail today.....$5,400 or so.
Old 01-05-03, 12:15 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

If the ABS pressure modulator valve has to be replaced, brace yourself. A new one may be $500-$1000. If you have to replace, press the insurance company for an extesnion or amendment. The adjuster could not have known the one in the accident got wrecked unless he started and drove the car after the accident. They should cover the cost of that, too.

Similar incident with my dad's accident. The steering box was broken, but it was realized until 3 months into the repair. It was covered.

Like I said, keep on the insurance company. That's why we pay them the big premiums.

Take the one new tire, make it your spare. Get a set of four new ones. Start with fresh tread. Kinda like new sneakers after a broken leg.

It sounds like you should be back behind the wheel again.

My cousin had a house in Glendale, then on Hollywood Hill, now she lives in NYC. I don't know why I just told you that.

have a good rest of the weekend meZoom.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 01-05-03 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-05-03, 01:10 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

steviej, ABS pressure modulator? i have to say i havent heard of it, but i think the only thing w/in the ABS system that would cost that much is the ABS computer, $558, which is actually located behind the passenger glove box (which didnt get damaged much). the front sensors, i checked, are like 100something bucks. i *think* that is what is "wrong." now that i think of it, the guy said the relay malfunctioned, and there is an abs relay at that position.
nice idea about keeping the new tire as a spare and buying 4 fresh rubbers. i will (probably) do that. i've never broken a leg so i dont know bout getting new sneakers afterwards!
******++++++++++*******
I gotta go to DMV to get a new license plate also: i lost my front one in the wreck and i am not going to bust my butt looking for it on the freeway. hopefully i wont get pulled over til then about not having front tags.

thanks as always, enjoy your weekend too, stevie and everyone.
Old 01-05-03, 01:25 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

the ABS pres. mod. valve is the box like thing that has 4 separate brake lines coming out of it (one to each wheel). Mine is in the front right corner of the engine bay, right behind the windshield washer fluid fill. It is the actual mechanism that sends brake fluid to the brakes that need it and not to the ones that don't when the ABS is engaged. I just know, they are expensive to replace.
Cost me $800 parts and labor on my last car.

sj
Old 01-06-03, 03:29 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Default FALSE ALARM!! not quite ready yet

OK, car came back from GLENDALE LEXUS, back to the independent body shop/collision center. Apparently Glendale Lexus got the ABS light to turn off, but now it is BACK ON, and wont go off. So now, the body shop place is having a separate car electrician guy(?) look at it, as well as the BURNT OUT SPEEDOMETER NEEDLES!!! we already told them that they were burnt out from before, and it is a common problem, but they said, no big deal, we'll look at it. What is "looking at" burnt needles going to establish? not sure but its nice of them i guess. So, the earliest I can have my baby car back is TODAY in the AFTERNOON, but I am skeptical. This is screwing my life cuz I leave for Japan in less than 72 hours, and I really gotta get my packing supply/shopping done....
Old 01-06-03, 05:01 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Smile

Good luck, and have a safe trip !
Old 01-07-03, 02:52 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

the reincarnation:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=69870