ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Heat blowing cold???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-02, 06:37 PM
BIGONTS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat blowing cold???

On my 92 ES w/75,000 miles, when ever I turn on the heat it blows cool air. It's not cold like the AC, but not as warm as it should be. It's a bit warmer when I have it at it's lowest setting but when I put it on high, it's still cold in the car. The car is totally warmed up every time. I check the motor that is right by the fire wall that the coolant goes into. It opens and closes fine. Also, my seat warmers aren't working either. I flip the switch and the light goes on but the seats don't get warm at all.

Thanks,
Old 12-19-02, 11:48 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the seats, check the connections under the seats. If you put things under the seat or if something fell under and was fished out, a connector may have been accidentally disconnected. Check your fuses, too. The layout should be in the owners manual. I don't know what fuse layout is for the '92 is or where the secondary fuse panel is. On the '02, it is fuse #50 in the secondary fuse group. This is the panel behind the small compartment to the lower left of the steering wheel.

You say the car (engine) warms up totally fine, but cool air flows out of the heater vents. My first impression is that the thermostat has failed in the open position. The car won't overheat, but you won't get good heat transfer to the coolant. In this case the temperature gauge would read lower than usual but still feel warm. You didn't mention what it indicated. If it is the thermostat, this can be a DIY fix and cost less than $50. It can be messy and you have to drain some coolant to get the level below the thermostat, this coolant can be added back in if it was collected in a clean container.

The other thought is that the heater core is obstructed. Fluid flows to the heater core but does not flow through it. What heat you get is from a heat sink situation rather than from the hot coolant passing through the core. Heater cores can be expensive and tricky to replace. Be prepared to hear an estimate of several bills.

good luck,
sj

Last edited by steviej; 12-19-02 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-20-02, 10:53 AM
BIGONTS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. I will check it out and get back to you. How can I tell if the thermostat is getting stuck?
Old 12-20-02, 03:30 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thermostat is not getting stuck, it is broken in the open postion. The easiest way to tell, is that the temp gauge won't be reading normal operating temp (195-205 degrees). My temp guage doesn't have numbers but normal operating temp for my 02 es is halfway form cold to hot. If your thermostat is broken, the coolant flows but never heats up completely cause is flows throughout the system from the minute you start up. The thermostat stays closed to allow the motor and coolant to reach 195 degrees, then opens so that you have fluid that can deliver heat to the heater core, and maintain an operating temp for the motor.

If the temp gauge is not reaching the normal position or 195 degrees, my guess it is stuck open. Most thermostats are "fail open" meaning when they break, they break in the open position. If it fails in the closed position, you overheat.

Another way to check, is hold the hose that comes off the thermostat housing when you start up the engine. The engine must be COLD. If you hear gurgling and feel vibrations (liquid flowing) in the hose, the thermostat is stuck open.

When in doubt, have your mechanic check it out.

sj
Old 12-27-02, 01:13 AM
BIGONTS
Driver School Candidate

Ok guys, thanks for all your help but my car is still blowing cool air when the heat is on after I just changed the thermostat. I was driving around and noticed when I drive and when the car is moving and gets more RPMs, the air get warmer but not as warm as it should be. If I sit there in park and rev the engine and hold it there, the air also gets warmer. I just had the water pump replaced a few weeks ago. What do you guys suggest I do next? I might have to flush the system from the firewall? Check the valve before the firewall? Please guys, any imput would be greatly appreciated.