ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Minute coolant loss

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 04:13 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Minute coolant loss

I have a minute coolant loss that I can only smell, but not see. I basically smell it only when I shut off the engine, open the hood, and sniff around the top end of the lower Radiator hose, where it connects to an aluminum watere pipe. The other end of that water pipe, which is about 12" long than connects to another aluminum housing using an "O" ring. I cannot smell it anywhere else.

Basically, I suspect that the "O" ring needs to be change, but I'm not sure how to remove that water pipe. Additionally I don't see any coolant leak, but just the smell of antifreeze in that area.

So my questions are as follows:

A) Can coolant escape as a gas but not as a liquid.
B) Anyone ever change that rubber "o" ring. How?

As I said the leak is minute, maybe 1/2 a cup of coolant every 1,000 miles, and only when it's hot.

Thanks

Phillip

Last edited by PFB; 03-09-13 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-09-13, 05:49 PM
moonphase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The coolant tube that is on drivers side below throttle body goes to the thermostat housing. The manual I have recommends replacing the tube also when the thermostat is replaced. Prone to corrosion and leak. The leaking coolant should leave a colored residue even after it dries. You might also check the thermostat gasket, AC drain tube under passenger side by front wheel, heater hoses, passenger front floor board under carpet, rear carpet passenger side for wetness, along both sides of radiator. Coolant leaks as a liquid but can evaporate quickly on a hot engine. You can also place a large sheet of plastic under the engine as soon as you park and leave overnight. In the morning, look for coolant droplets on the plastic. If you plan on A DIY of the thermostat tube, a service/ repair manual would be well worth the $20.00 "US". Check the engine oil for a milky color, and also the transmission fluid to see if the level is rising as the transmission and coolant share the radiator. Check and wipe clean the radiator cap, and inspect the coolant overflow container for cracking.
Old 03-09-13, 06:45 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what year is your's PFB? read the topic a couple down about awful coolant leak.. ,that hose under the intake manifold is a dirty rotten bugger. very similar symptoms. and like moonphase says, you should see white residue where coolant leaks/dries.
Old 03-09-13, 09:01 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by moonphase
The coolant tube that is on drivers side below throttle body goes to the thermostat housing. The manual I have recommends replacing the tube also when the thermostat is replaced. Prone to corrosion and leak. ..............
Is the coolant tube that you are referring to the same coolant tube to which the lower radiator hose connects with a clamp?

Phillip
Old 03-09-13, 10:01 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Thought this might help

Old 03-10-13, 05:41 AM
moonphase
Driver

Water inlet pipe shown in diagram provided by Mr. Booby.
Old 03-10-13, 08:44 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

MrBooby,
The diagram you provided certainly helps. At least now I can more clearly describe what I'm trying to do.

The "O" ring that I suspect is leaking (even though I can't see the Leak) is the one that connects the Water Inlet Pipe, to the Water Housing.

Moonphase,
Are you saying that I should also be replacing the Water Inlet Pipe at the same time as the "O" ring, as its prone to corrosion?

What is involved in replacing that water pipe and "O" ring? All I see in the diagram is 1 Bolt holding the water pipe against the side of the engine, but I don't see any other bolts holding the water pipe tight against the water housing. Do I need to remove anything else to get tto that "O" ring?

If I just remove that single bolt, would I be able to remove the water pipe, change the "O" ring, and put everything back. Am I missing something? That single bolt is confusing me.

Any one ever done this? Any tricks to this project?

Thanks,

Phillip
Old 03-10-13, 11:48 AM
moonphase
Driver

I have not personally removed the water inlet pipe, just going off my repair manual recommendation to replace inlet pipe, but I won't advise of procedure. If money is tight, you can most likely purchase an o-ring, thermostat, etc. from Amazon.com. A repair manual should be available to you at a library, or for purchase also on Amazon.com.
Old 03-10-13, 01:21 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't recall if I got the link from this site, or a google search, but there are some free links to manuals. this site seemed to have several: http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/
Old 03-10-13, 05:11 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by moonphase
I have not personally removed the water inlet pipe, just going off my repair manual recommendation to replace inlet pipe, but I won't advise of procedure. If money is tight, you can most likely purchase an o-ring, thermostat, etc. from Amazon.com. A repair manual should be available to you at a library, or for purchase also on Amazon.com.
I am not planning on changing the Thermostat, as there is nothing wrong with it. Just planning on changing that "O" ring. Which I already purchased from my local Lexus dealer. I'll also call the parts department tomorrow and see if he ever sold or if he knows of a problem, with the water inlet pipe corroding, if he says yes, or if he recommends changing it than I'll get one as well.

I'm still not clear however on how to remove that water inlet pipe so that I can get to the "O" ring. I subscribe to ALLDATA DIY but it's not of any help when it comes to this topic, and the fact that it's only 1 bolt cofuses me.

Canucklehe, I went to the sites you posted but could not find the information I need,.

So if anyone has ever Changed that "O" ring, by removing that single bolt on the water inlet pipe I would very much appreciate hearing from them.

Thanks

Phillip

Last edited by PFB; 03-10-13 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-10-13, 06:56 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

It looks like the pipe sits inside the thermostat housing, and the bolt is there to keep it from sliding out.

Old 03-10-13, 07:40 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrBooby
It looks like the pipe sits inside the thermostat housing, and the bolt is there to keep it from sliding out.

Thanks for the pictures MrBooby, it clarifies things even more, I would have thought that there should have been some other bolts to hold the pipe tight AGAINST the thermostat housing, but I guess not.

Maybe that's why there may be a leak there. Either way, i'll check with the Lexus parts guy tomorrow, to get his thoughts about the necessity of replacing the water pipe jacket as well, and if he says yes, I'll order one. I have the O ring already.

Should be straight forward from here on.

Thanks

Phillip

Last edited by PFB; 03-10-13 at 07:44 PM.