ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How Rare Is A 92 ES300 5 Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 09:15 AM
nandob
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How Rare Is A 92 ES300 5 Speed?

How rare is a 92 5 speed ES300? I just purchased on a week ago for $2500. For the most part the car is fairly clean and it does run good it has a 189k on the mileage.
I have big plans for this car and here are some of the things I have already purchased.
• Ground Control Coilover Sleeves for a 95 Camry
• New shocks and struts
• 19 inch Lorinser rims 5x112 +40 offset, but I had them redrilled to 5x114. Along with 225/35/19 for the front and 245/30/19 for the rear. Including 15 mm Ichiba hub centric spacers for all 4 rims so that will put me at a +25 offset.
• New lower control arms, ties rods, bushings.
But what I want to know is how rare is a 92 ES300 5 speed with limited research I found that Lexus only made around 1000 or so for 92 and 93 how true is that? Any feedback would be helpful. I am trying to post Pics but for some reason I cant.
Old 03-12-13, 09:19 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome to the family. the 5spds are very rare because they only came in 92 and 93.
btw running 19s is a bit extreme. 245 prolly will rub unless you go with some aggressive camber.
Old 03-12-13, 10:06 AM
nandob
Pole Position

I will see how that goes, by any means am I new to Lexus just the ES so I guess this car is a keeper. Here is a pic of my old 1st Gen I wanna go lower than this.
Attached Thumbnails How Rare Is A 92 ES300 5 Speed?-lex1.jpg  
Old 03-12-13, 10:09 AM
nandob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EEngineer
welcome to the family. the 5spds are very rare because they only came in 92 and 93.
btw running 19s is a bit extreme. 245 prolly will rub unless you go with some aggressive camber.
I had not planned on extreme camber so I could run 225s all around. I even may go down to an 18 inch. I have access to a set of SC430 (plate) rims and a set of IS350 stocks. I am gonna post a pic of the Lorensors.
Old 03-12-13, 10:11 AM
nandob
Pole Position

The 19 inch Lorensors
Attached Thumbnails How Rare Is A 92 ES300 5 Speed?-lorensor.jpg  
Old 03-12-13, 03:24 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

'92 - 1395 5-speeds produced
'93 - (still looking; will edit when found)

If you're looking at doing a legit restoration and preservation the usual ClubLexus mantra is to bring 'er back to a nice mint stock condition first. Replace the fluids and anything made outta rubber. Once she's back to outta-the-showroom condition the suspension and braking systems can be replaced or upgraded and you will have had some time to select tasteful aftermarket or OEM wheels. With the 2nd gens anything larger than an 18" diameter wheel tends to lift/donk it, and with the subtle roundness of the overall shape only a handful of wheels preserve or enhance the beauty, as opposed to those that interfere with or block the beauty. It's all about subtlety.

Check out the 2ES Suspension reference thread for suggestions and pics of ESs with completed work. The same goes for the ES Aftermarket/OEM Wheels thread.

Have fun with it! It's amazing how different the 2ES can look with just a *touch* of lowering and nicer wheels/tires.
Here's the before/after difference demonstrated on mine: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4680173-post6.html
and https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4680174-post7.html.

(Glad to see ya in here too, NandoB! )

Last edited by Slooooooow; 03-12-13 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-12-13, 06:50 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Clean it up and maintain it. Its not everyday you see one of these cars. i own one and have yet to see another in person
Old 03-12-13, 07:54 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rare enough that i didnt even know they exist
The following users liked this post:
Ezroni (06-12-21)
Old 03-13-13, 05:46 AM
nandob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slooooooow

If you're looking at doing a legit restoration and preservation the usual ClubLexus mantra is to bring 'er back to a nice mint stock condition first. Replace the fluids and anything made outta rubber. Once she's back to outta-the-showroom condition the suspension and braking systems can be replaced or upgraded and you will have had some time to select tasteful aftermarket or OEM wheels. With the 2nd gens anything larger than an 18" diameter wheel tends to lift/donk it, and with the subtle roundness of the overall shape only a handful of wheels preserve or enhance the beauty, as opposed to those that interfere with or block the beauty. It's all about subtlety.

Check out the 2ES Suspension reference thread for suggestions and pics of ESs with completed work. The same goes for the ES Aftermarket/OEM Wheels thread.

Have fun with it! It's amazing how different the 2ES can look with just a *touch* of lowering and nicer wheels/tires.
Here's the before/after difference demonstrated on mine: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4680173-post6.html

Restoration in progress, that how I normally start from the inside out.
I checked the timing and its apparent that has been changed. I ordered silicone hoses from Ebay so I plan on changing every hose that I can. The car has a new radiator and hoses but I suspect the previous owner ran it hot, so I am going to monitor that as well because I know these cars are prone to blowing headgaskets. As for suspension that is coming last, the few times I have driven it I was hearing a rubbing noise in the left front wheel. I thought it was maybe the break cover but my mechanic briefly looked at it so he thinks it may be the wheel bearing. So I ordered new control arms, tie rods, bushings etc. The beauty is that the parts are reasonably priced for this car unlike the SC's and GS's I have owned in the past. Suprisingly the car is in good shape.
For some reason I still cannot upload a pic but I will try and do that today. I saw your pics and I honestly want a more aggressive drop and my hope is that the 19's do not lift it, and if it does not look right then I will go down to 18 (I have IS350 wheels) and I will roll those 19s on my sc400 that I am building as well. As for my SC I plan on doing a 5 speed swap, I already have the W58, adapter plate, clutch pedals, and other accessories but when I got the ES all worked has stopped on the SC for now.
Attached Thumbnails How Rare Is A 92 ES300 5 Speed?-es2.jpg   How Rare Is A 92 ES300 5 Speed?-sc.jpg  
Old 03-13-13, 08:30 AM
nandob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slooooooow

Scott I didnt realize that was you! LOL