ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

92 ES300 Oil Light Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13 | 08:43 AM
lexus4all
Driver School Candidate

Ouch a blown engine sucks.

I recently just got a 1992 ES300 as well, I got it for 1200, but it had a blown head gasket. 2000 dollars later it's all good.

Just out of curiosity what made you say it's got a blown engine? Did you see it overheat at any point you were driving. You said you checked your oil level and it was alright, if oil wasn't getting through your engine you would see it overheat first before it blew.
Old 03-19-13 | 09:22 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

from his description, I don't think the engine is blown at all. other issues going on.

IIRC, my buddy bought a Nissan 300 and was talking about getting car or motor from Japan. I think Japan has law that forces owner to dispose of car at fairly low K. Consequently, the owners do virtually zero maintenance knowing they have to get rid of car by X mileage (100K km??).
Old 03-19-13 | 09:29 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Originally Posted by nandob
I found it on Craigslist from the JDM engine corp out of Richardson per their ad it was $299 for a 3vz fe
Really??
Wow. If they sell it for that price it clearly pays to check their CL posts more than their website! Good find! *Hai Five*
Old 03-20-13 | 05:20 AM
nandob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexus4all
Ouch a blown engine sucks.

I recently just got a 1992 ES300 as well, I got it for 1200, but it had a blown head gasket. 2000 dollars later it's all good.

Just out of curiosity what made you say it's got a blown engine? Did you see it overheat at any point you were driving. You said you checked your oil level and it was alright, if oil wasn't getting through your engine you would see it overheat first before it blew.
It did overheat earlier that day but that was due to a faulty Autozone radiator and bad thermostat. I just decided to get a new engine instead of trying to figure out this one. The engine only has around 180k but I didnt feel like messing with it. By the time I repair everything that needs to be done including parts and labor I might as well buy a low mile JDM engine. The oil pump alone is over $300 bucks. I am going to pick up the engine this weekend, its already paid for!!!
Old 03-20-13 | 12:17 PM
nandob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
Really??
Wow. If they sell it for that price it clearly pays to check their CL posts more than their website! Good find! *Hai Five*
Yeah I cant wait to get it rolling.
Old 04-10-13 | 10:45 AM
nandob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by canucklehe
from his description, I don't think the engine is blown at all. other issues going on.

IIRC, my buddy bought a Nissan 300 and was talking about getting car or motor from Japan. I think Japan has law that forces owner to dispose of car at fairly low K. Consequently, the owners do virtually zero maintenance knowing they have to get rid of car by X mileage (100K km??).
Just to comment on what you said, I ran a diagnostic just to make sure, and although I do not have a check engine light on and my the check engine light is functional. It gave me code 52, so before I spend over $300 buck for an oem knock sensor and wiring harness why not by a fresh jdm engine since my engine is over 180k. Engines from JDM engine here in Dallas have been compression tested etc so they are good. I have never known anywone to buy an engine from them that they had problems with. I dont have long pockets to keep pouring into an engine that the previous owner did not take care of. Oil Pump $200 and knock sensors over $300 not to mention labor.......New engine $299 install $400.
I'm just saying......................
Old 04-10-13 | 11:08 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

I've been all over the code 52 knock sensor issue and still don't have it fixed. $300 for a motor is awfully cheap. Any idea of mileage on it? does it come with wiring harness, new plugs, wires, cap, etc...? These are all items that could need replacing, just like knock sensors, VC gaskets, timing belt, seals, etc...

Potentially, you could have a better engine after the swap, or be on borrowed time until you have to do all the same stuff that is giving your engine issues right now. if you are pulling out motor either way, maybe just fix all those things on your's ??

I know it is a tough call either way. At this point, for $700, I'd be further ahead than all the time & $$ I've sunk into my car to get it right. I only have 130 K on mine.
Old 04-10-13 | 02:34 PM
nandob
Pole Position

I've been all over the code 52 knock sensor issue and still don't have it fixed. $300 for a motor is awfully cheap. Any idea of mileage on it? does it come with wiring harness, new plugs, wires, cap, etc...? These are all items that could need replacing, just like knock sensors, VC gaskets, timing belt, seals, etc...

Potentially, you could have a better engine after the swap, or be on borrowed time until you have to do all the same stuff that is giving your engine issues right now. if you are pulling out motor either way, maybe just fix all those things on your's ??

I know it is a tough call either way. At this point, for $700, I'd be further ahead than all the time & $$ I've sunk into my car to get it right. I only have 130 K on mine.
I got the engine from a JDM engine store and they are reputable here in Dallas. Direct from Japan low miles but ofcourse I cannot verify exactly how many. The reason its so cheap? Because normally they are selling 2J or 1J or RB motors so the 3VZ is not so popular thus the lower price. Thats why I am opting for a new engine versus me sinking money into a engine I have no idea about. Worst case I have a warranty so I am good.
Old 04-15-13 | 05:26 AM
nandob
Pole Position

Default I Feel A Little Stupid

I consider myself very knowledgeable about cars, but this one being new to me I had to learn all the kinks. So I got the engine and it turned out they sent me a 1mz so ofcourse that wasnt going to work. I was talking to my mechanic and remembering some of the things they noted when I got my car inspected. The problem thats causing the car to shut off? Its the Catalytic convertors. So all I really needed besides a good tune up and a oil pump was that. I feel so ashamed that I couldnt figure that out in the beginning........(SMDH)
I consider this mystery solved!
Old 04-15-13 | 06:37 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

sounds like a relatively easy fix in the end. did JDM take engine back, or force you to get a 3VZ ?

how much was the CAT ? (is there more than one?)
Old 04-18-13 | 02:29 PM
nandob
Pole Position

sounds like a relatively easy fix in the end. did JDM take engine back, or force you to get a 3VZ ?

how much was the CAT ? (is there more than one?)
They took it back because I gave them my year model and specfics via email so they couldnt deny that one. The cats cost me $140, Oil Pump $150, on top of an additional $150 labor for both not bad at all. More to come I am going to start a build thread, I am on my way to the salvage yard to look at this 2ES for some other parts. I have a sneaky suspicion it may have black leather if so jackpot!
Old 05-16-13 | 03:36 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

I looked on their craigslist ad for your area and it's $750. They also have an ebay ad for $795 shipped. None of that is close to $300. was this one a high miler or some other issues going on?

how hard/easy it is to re & re tranny once engine is pulled?

OR..... how much is a head gasket job?
Old 05-20-13 | 06:47 AM
nandob
Pole Position

I looked on their craigslist ad for your area and it's $750. They also have an ebay ad for $795 shipped. None of that is close to $300. was this one a high miler or some other issues going on?

how hard/easy it is to re & re tranny once engine is pulled?

OR..... how much is a head gasket job?
I got the engine and it turns out it was for a 1MZ block not a 3VZ FE. I didnt need a new engine at all. So far what I have replaced is the oil pump, cats, struts, and knock sensor. Now the car is good to go.