ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

92 ES300 Oil Light Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-13, 05:26 AM
nandob
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 92 ES300 Oil Light Trouble

So 2 days ago I was driving and my oil light came on, now I have owned this car for only a week so I am still trying to get use to this car. So yesterday I went and had an oil change and once again the oil light comes back on. I did some research and with my mechanical knowledge I was thinking maybe the oil sending unit was bad. What puzzles me is that the car is full of oil no leaks and it has a slight ticking sound as if the oil is low. Research says, that it may be the oil pump going bad, to check for sludge in the valve covers etc. Before I start pulling stuff off and buying an oil pump has anybody experienced this? Today I am going to get an oil flush and switch to synthetic oil. My assumption is the cornball previous owner knew of this problem but its all good worse case 1mz fe are plentiful in my area and cheap, I found one out of a 96 with a 114k for $300 bucks. The car was wrecked on the side but still was able to crank so the engine was pretty good.
But anyways thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 03-15-13, 08:43 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Your model is not prone to sludge, but who knows?

Before doing anything else, put a mechanical oil preasure gauge in place of the sensor that's there and see what the pressure readings really are.

If you don't have one, and can't borrow or buy one, than a garage can do that for you. Maybe it's just a defective oil preasure, or oil level sensor, or associated wiring.

Dont drive the car much until you determine what the issue really is.

Phil
Old 03-15-13, 09:55 AM
nandob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PFB
Your model is not prone to sludge, but who knows?

Before doing anything else, put a mechanical oil preasure gauge in place of the sensor that's there and see what the pressure readings really are.

If you don't have one, and can't borrow or buy one, than a garage can do that for you. Maybe it's just a defective oil preasure, or oil level sensor, or associated wiring.

Dont drive the car much until you determine what the issue really is.

Phil
I already purchased a new oil pressure sensor and its been parked and will be until I can properly diagnose the problem. Good news that sludge is not common for this car.
Old 03-15-13, 11:29 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,033 Likes on 2,548 Posts

You have the 3VZ-FE engine not the 1MZ-FE. The 3VZ is not known for sludge, in fact I doubt it ever happens. Hopefully the engine was not run out of oil and now has bearing damage, but you'll know after you replace the sending unit.
Old 03-15-13, 11:59 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

If its not the oil pressure sensor, it could still be the oil level sensor.

Phil
Old 03-15-13, 08:05 PM
nandob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PFB
If its not the oil pressure sensor, it could still be the oil level sensor.

Phil
Too late I blew the engine.
Old 03-16-13, 01:37 AM
StuckInVA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nandob
Dang, that was fast. I looked at this thread yesterday morning and now the engine is blown.

I don't suppose you could clarify which light on your cluster was illuminated? there are two for oil, one is for pressure and the other is level. I only ask because my oil level light always comes on and then shuts off at different times. (Hope I don't have to go engine shopping like you do )

Especially since I know that this is a huge pain. If you find another 3VZ and have to pull it yourself, fashion yourself a makeshift slide hammer, or if the owner doesn't care about the drive axles, bring a reciprocating saw. Don't bother unbolting the torque converter from underneath the car, just bring out the transmission with the engine; It's easier that way.
Old 03-16-13, 03:37 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Woow, that sucks.

Put this bad experience behind you, and dont look back. Onward to your plan B.

If you ever find out what the cause was, please post for the benefit of all on this board.

Good luck

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 03-17-13 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-16-13, 11:09 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

ditto what phil & stuckinva said:

Wow , I read post yesterday and today it blew? What happened?
Old 03-18-13, 05:47 AM
nandob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by StuckInVA
Dang, that was fast. I looked at this thread yesterday morning and now the engine is blown.

I don't suppose you could clarify which light on your cluster was illuminated? there are two for oil, one is for pressure and the other is level. I only ask because my oil level light always comes on and then shuts off at different times. (Hope I don't have to go engine shopping like you do )

Especially since I know that this is a huge pain. If you find another 3VZ and have to pull it yourself, fashion yourself a makeshift slide hammer, or if the owner doesn't care about the drive axles, bring a reciprocating saw. Don't bother unbolting the torque converter from underneath the car, just bring out the transmission with the engine; It's easier that way.
Ok here is the update.............................
So while driving the car before I posted about my blown engine it gave every indication. Sputtering, lack of power, etc. So the next morning I go outside to see what was really going on with the car and the it cranks right up??? Weird!!! So I still have the oil pressure problem, the pump has not gone out but I know I need to change the oil lever sensor located right by the oil filter. So I drive the car a few miles to the autoparts store to pick up the parts that I need and the car will not start. I had to let its sit for about 3 hours and then I went back and it crunk right up and I drove it home. I am not ruling out a fuel pump or filter so I am going to regroup and just start fresh with a tuneup and go from there. Funny thing is the kid I bought the car from he drove it too my house with no problems and I have driven this car less than 50 miles and all of this started to happen. But here is the gift in all of this....................Initially I was going to purchase the car for $2500 and he agreed to do payments with me and I have him $500 down when he delivered the car. With all the issues that I am having, we ended up agreeing to $1100 so I gave him the remaining $600 and now I have the title. So at the end of the day I won considering I have a rare 92 5 speed and the issues can be fixed. If I need an engine I found one here in Dallas from JDM Engine Corp direct from Japan for $299. I think that is the route I am going to go because by the time I fix all of the current issues I would have spent over $300 so I might as well get a fresh engine and go from there.
Old 03-18-13, 09:30 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

can you do a compression test to see what the issue is with your engine? maybe it is something completely unrelated.
Old 03-18-13, 09:45 AM
nandob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by canucklehe
can you do a compression test to see what the issue is with your engine? maybe it is something completely unrelated.
yeah I think I have figured it out. So I am going to replace the oil pressure sensor, I had an inspection done and it failed stating that I need a tune up and cats. So I suspect that I am having either ignition problems or related to the distributor all of that will be replaced. But I am honestly leaning towards buying a new engine just as a fail safe.
Old 03-18-13, 09:45 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

If I need an engine I found one here in Dallas from JDM Engine Corp direct from Japan for $299. I think that is the route I am going to go because by the time I fix all of the current issues I would have spent over $300 so I might as well get a fresh engine and go from there.
$299?
http://www.jdmenginescorp.com/engine_details/toyota_jdm-3vz-fe-ff-3.0l-v6-toyota-camry---lexus-es300-1992---1993-engine-only--

Old 03-18-13, 10:21 PM
StuckInVA
Driver

Yeah I thought $300 was a little off myself. It seemed pretty low. Maybe nandob has the hookup and should share the love.
Old 03-19-13, 07:40 AM
nandob
Pole Position

I found it on Craigslist from the JDM engine corp out of Richardson per their ad it was $299 for a 3vz fe

Quick Reply: 92 ES300 Oil Light Trouble