ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Radio Screw?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 11:34 AM
asam123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Screw?

I replaced my radio unit today on my 1998 Lexus ES300. While screwing the unit back in, one of the bolts from the bottom of the unit fell behind the ashtray. I am not sure how to get it out. I got 3 bolts screwed in however. What should I do?

Let it be?

Or

Remove the ashtray (I tried, but couldn't) and retrieve the screw?

thanks
Old 03-29-13, 12:14 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you know what you have to do...leave it in there or get it out make your choice and do it ;-)

If you are having trouble with the ashtray, what you need to do to take that out is, pull up the trim around the shifter, it will pop out pretty easy, be careful a nylon trim tool is nice to have. You snap the shifter trim out from the rear first, disconnect the heated seat switches if you have those, then continue lifting the trim up from the rear there are two hooks that go underneath the edge of the ashtray you need to pull it back. once free you can pivot the shifter trim and pull it up over the shift handle.

You will have exposed two screws that need to be removed to free the ashtray. You will need to snap out small trim peice between the climate unit and ashtray to then pull the ashtray out.

That should give you enough clearance to find that screw the area below the console is deep so it could have gone far shine a bright light in there. If you can't find it a new screw is cheap enough from Toyota $1-2.
Old 03-29-13, 02:19 PM
asam123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Power6
I think you know what you have to do...leave it in there or get it out make your choice and do it ;-)

If you are having trouble with the ashtray, what you need to do to take that out is, pull up the trim around the shifter, it will pop out pretty easy, be careful a nylon trim tool is nice to have. You snap the shifter trim out from the rear first, disconnect the heated seat switches if you have those, then continue lifting the trim up from the rear there are two hooks that go underneath the edge of the ashtray you need to pull it back. once free you can pivot the shifter trim and pull it up over the shift handle.

You will have exposed two screws that need to be removed to free the ashtray. You will need to snap out small trim peice between the climate unit and ashtray to then pull the ashtray out.

That should give you enough clearance to find that screw the area below the console is deep so it could have gone far shine a bright light in there. If you can't find it a new screw is cheap enough from Toyota $1-2.

Thanks. Couldn't find the bolt. I have 3 bolts in so one missing doesn't really matter. My only concern is that the bolt that's fell will jam up something.
Old 03-29-13, 05:56 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

yeah you'll be fine not likely it got into any trouble down there.
Old 03-30-13, 08:41 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Maybe try probing behind the ashtray with a magnetic tool. I've got one that looks like a car antenna ... collapses down to fit in a shirt pocket and has a pocket clip like a writing pen .... looks like the one shown in the attached photo.

You should be able to get a replacement screw bolt at a hardware store.-- every Toyota and Lexus radio I've removed have been held in place by four 10mm screw bolts of the same size.
Attached Thumbnails Radio Screw?-telescoping-magnet-photo.jpg