ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

99 ES300 P0300 Misfire and P1300 error codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-13, 06:30 PM
marcusr69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 ES300 P0300 Misfire and P1300 error codes

Hello all. Have spent alot of time reading thru forum and posts trying to find information on this particular problem. Have a '99 ES300 with VVT-i and approx 237,000 miles. Getting the following codes at the same time:

P0300, P1300, P1305, P1310, P1315, P1320, P1325

Here's what's been done but hasn't helped:
Timing belt was done about 10K miles ago with waterpump and seals
Sparkplugs (iridiums) replaced about 500 miles ago
Pre CAT A/F sensors replaced
Oil Control Valves and Filters replaced

Erase the codes, start up car, and it runs fine until it get's a little warm then CEL comes on with Trac light flashing periodically.

Driving the car I'll get a random infrequent stutter usually on hard acceleration but it's not regular.

Erase codes when warm either with code reader or disconnecting battery and CEL will come on within a few seconds of starting car.

In the past I've had to replace coils on it but it's usually given me the P0300 and then one code for the cylinder with the bad coil and the car runs really bad. Replacing the bad coil and erasing code would fix the problem.

This time I'm getting the P0300 with a code for every cylinder but it still runs OK. I've not driven it very much since this started so not sure how it'll progress. I'm afraid it'll die and leave me stranded. When the problem started I cleaned Oil control valves and that seemed to help for a bit but problem didn't go away for long so that lead me to go ahead and replace the OCV's and filters.

Anyone out there have this random misfire code come one with a code for all cylinders at the same time. It's pretty much instantaneous.

Car starts on first crank every time and idles smooth for the most part.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can share..
Old 04-28-13, 12:29 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

the codes you got are related to the IGF signal. Are you sure you plugged the coils in correctly and tight?
Old 04-29-13, 05:32 AM
marcusr69
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
the codes you got are related to the IGF signal. Are you sure you plugged the coils in correctly and tight?
Thanks for the reply. I think I fixed it yesterday.

Found a video online yesterday that explained the IGF and IGT wires and related signals on the coil and how they work. Typically, when I've experienced a coil failure as many have reported on the forum the coil pretty much dies and there's a definite misfire in the engine. In my particular case the coil in number 2 cylinder had an issue but it was still firing. Actually, based on the video I saw I began to think that maybe the IGF signal was lasting too long resulting in misfiring signals/codes from all cylinders as the IGF signal wire is shared. (Link to video is below) So I did the usual swapped one coil at a time using a new denso until the CEL/TRAC light no longer appeared. I guess I got lucky cause I started with easy coils first 2, 4, 6 and started with 2 and bam there it was. Because I didn't understand how the pulses from the IGF and IGT signals worked with the internal circuitry of the coils and how they were wired I never figured a coil could fail where the car could potentially still run ok.

The other thing I'm thinking is contributing to the coil failures I've had in the passed was that during this process of working on car the battery died a couple of times and I found due to the great info and contributions on this forum was that the seat memory "Set" button was stuck but this caused me to evaluate the electrical/charging system also and I found that even with a fully charged battery my alternator was regularly spiking at above 16 volts. It probably maxed out at 16.7 volts at any given time. I've not confirmed the source voltage at the coils yet and not sure if the source voltage is regulated for the coils but I'm hoping that the alternators high voltage was causing the coils to "overheat" and lead to their relatively short life. (Another problem that's been sporatic for a couple of years now.) Probably just wishful thinking but alternator swap has been done.

Keeping my fingers crossed....

Link to video. It's kind of long but helped..

Thx

Old 05-05-13, 11:27 PM
Victor520
Driver School Candidate

code table here: http://www.spobd2.com/service/diagno...wnload-38.html