ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What's A Good Price??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-13 | 11:10 AM
ikant
Rookie

Default What's A Good Price??

So I've decided I'm going to sell my 2ES locally [because the new commute to work hits me hard for gas mileage]. Obviously the trade-in value is worth 12 pairs of flip-flops. Local interests see the odometer and damn near pass out. [323,000+] (But I highly doubt that's the original cluster.) Anyway, 323K...Nevermind the HID headlights and Fogs, brand new headlight and Foflight housings, 17" Wheels, Stereo w/BT, USB, iPod accessibility and Sat Ready, 1100W Amp w/dual 12" subs, Pioneer 6 1/2" in door, RockFord in rear deck, LED Cluster and Tints. Granted the the interior could use a little work [7/10] and there are black seat covers. This past March my 2ES had a host of services done including Water Pump/Timing Belt/Oil Change/etc--I have the invoice and payment receipt as proof.

Now I've come to the conclusion that I may have been asking a bit much at $4500, so dropped it to $2500...then to $2200. But these locals are offering no more than $1500-$1600. If that's the case I'll be removing everything except for the 17's and cluster. KBB is $2572 in "Good" condition and $2022 in "Fair" condition. Seriously, this 2ES is above "GOOD" mechanically and cosmetically [based on KBB's defining descriptions].

So, I now throw it out to you guys and gals. What's a good price??--are these people crazy...or is it just me??

Will post a photo when I have a chance.
Old 05-05-13 | 12:20 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

oh man...hate to say when they see the interior and mileage they would only offer around that much.

you are better off parting out the goodies and sell as is, or redo the interior and keep it for a while.
Old 05-05-13 | 01:51 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

It's you. That's how the used market sees cars, hell, that's how I see cars too.
Any 'mod' I put in, I write it off right away as 'loss' since you're not getting that money back.

Go the the scrappers, get some stock wheels, and rip out what you can to have a stock car...

To be honest, Georgia has some cheap Lexus' for all of US from what I've seen. Not sure why. The money you were asking is 00-01 money, there's plenty of 00-01's on CL for LESS than 5K...
Old 05-05-13 | 02:51 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
It's you. That's how the used market sees cars, hell, that's how I see cars too.
Any 'mod' I put in, I write it off right away as 'loss' since you're not getting that money back.

Go the the scrappers, get some stock wheels, and rip out what you can to have a stock car...

To be honest, Georgia has some cheap Lexus' for all of US from what I've seen. Not sure why. The money you were asking is 00-01 money, there's plenty of 00-01's on CL for LESS than 5K...
1. That depends on the condition and location. I believe most 00-01's are still valued at 5k and above.

2. I agree about the other. Mods are rarely valued in a used car market. You need to post pictures for an honest assessment, but from what you're said, I believe what they're offering is fair. A lot of miles means that there is a higher risk of costly repairs. The car is considered a beater at that point, and the mods bring down its value because the originality has been lost. Once your car's value drops below 5 grand, its true market value becomes a moot point. You can no longer reference any website for a number, it will all come down to you and the buyer.

If you want to raise its curb appeal, get rid of the tints, repair the leather, sell the audio system and revert back to the stock head unit. Then give it a quick detail. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-05-13 | 04:00 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

300K+ is not an attractive number to buyers.

To get an idea of price ranges, i've purchased my 1997 with 134k for $2,300 and most 2000-2001's are going for over $5-6K around in my area.

I would say about $1,100-$1,500 is about fair.

If I were you, I would just keep the car. You may not see a price any better than that...
Old 05-05-13 | 06:13 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Vehicle depreciation is a mind boggling thing. Every time I look at what I have, I'm always amazed at how much my car is actually worth. All that metal, rubber, plastic, glass, etc is only worth $3-5k, and it's in perfect running order.
Old 05-05-13 | 09:09 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrBooby
1. That depends on the condition and location. I believe most 00-01's are still valued at 5k and above.
No doubt, but Atlanta is cheap. The 'clean' ones hover around low 5-6k mark.

Other's that require a little TLC since the owners didn't clean the interior [with 'fair' miles] are all at or under 4k, I just looked on [Atlanta] CL.

It's THE place where most Lexus' go to die, and are the cheapest in the US for some odd reason. Out of all the things I've ever wanted to buy the most hits come from atlanta, even on ebay...
Old 05-06-13 | 09:54 AM
ikant
Rookie

Thank you VERY much for the input guys. I should interject I now live in Connecticut. But I have thought of removing all of the upgrades and transfer what I can over to the new vehicle and part out the rest. Wife suggests the same, "just keep it--you've put too much into it...keep it as a Weekend Ride..." We will decide on what we will do. Still getting calls on it....so we will see. Again, thank you for the assistance on this one. [Really appreciated]

Old 05-06-13 | 08:35 PM
Emphasis
Driver School Candidate

If you do sell it, it should be better to part it out. Heck, you'd probably come near or over the amount you'll get selling the whole car when selling separate parts.

I also agree with practically every mod listed not really favoring the selling price. Most buyers should be looking strictly at maintenance, and overall upkeep of the car in this case. Hence parting out.
Old 05-06-13 | 08:56 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ikant
Thank you VERY much for the input guys. I should interject I now live in Connecticut. But I have thought of removing all of the upgrades and transfer what I can over to the new vehicle and part out the rest. Wife suggests the same, "just keep it--you've put too much into it...keep it as a Weekend Ride..." We will decide on what we will do. Still getting calls on it....so we will see. Again, thank you for the assistance on this one. [Really appreciated]

Fixed the images for you. You should use the "direct link" with the IMG code.

I remember you(those rims)! I can only see so much from those two angles, but your car looks mint. Are there any exterior imperfections, like a sagging front bumper? And do you have any interior pictures?

Now I understand why you're so shocked by the offers you've been getting. I honestly would feel bad about selling it for under 2k as well. If you really don't want to keep it anymore, I have a suggestion for making it more attractive on the market. Attach a thorough list of maintenance history and/or receipts, if you have any. Include a picture of records in the advertisement. That's the one thing that would make me reconsider the mileage, if I was shopping for a used car and saw how clean yours looked. Pride of ownership is often more important than anything else.

Found more pictures of your ride... just because

Last edited by Hayk; 05-06-13 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-07-13 | 08:33 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

My 2001 i put up for sale for 5k and have been offered 4700 with 220k miles. High mileage does mean something, but many people also just look at how the car looks. I decided to keep the car cause it there is a sentimental attachment (although someone offered me a 93 MB 300SL to trade) but for the money you are asking, just keep it till it dies. $1800 isn't that much money and since yours is so nice and doesn't show any signs of dying anytime soon, i would just keep it as an extra/summer.weekend car. Or a car to bring places you wouldn't want a newer one to get dinged up in (airport/carpool/mall ect.)
Old 05-07-13 | 10:03 AM
ikant
Rookie

Yea Gray, at this point the sentimental value is weighing heavily--thanks for rediscovering those past photos Mr.Booby As I said the interior can use some work, but not anything major. Interestingly enough, there was a coworker who has a 2ES and it looked like trouble. He sold it to another coworker for $1800 in November. In less than 24 hours he wanted his money back--the antenna, sunroof, trunk release button and two windows didn't work, the car started intermittently, turn off intermittently, shifted very HARD, A/C didn't work and some other issues. The mileage was around 90K.

Mr.Booby, there has been a lot of things which have been done to the vehicle which even I overlooked [like the hood lifts, LED Plate lights, dome light, rear shocks, new brakes etc.]. Sure parting it out would yield greater profit overall--the headlight housings alone will net $300 easily. But yesterday I sat in it, took a deep breath and I felt fulfillment. After having new ball joints installed I drove my 2ES from GA to CT last year without a single issue. Heck, just realized I put a brand new AGM battery in December. I'm really glad I posted this thread. You've all made my decision a easier--going out to the driveway to pull the For Sale sign off the window....right NOW.

UPDATE: Sign has been removed...LOL!!

Last edited by ikant; 05-07-13 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-07-13 | 10:40 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

I think you made the right decision. If the wife approves it, then you should definitely keep it.
Old 05-07-13 | 11:05 AM
msekanha
Intermediate

Wow, that's still a clean car.
I would definitely still keep it and get to 500K!
Old 05-07-13 | 12:04 PM
StuckInVA
Driver

For 2.5K I'd ****** this beast right out of your hands. Looks 1Mx better than mine, and probably runs better too.