ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

92 ES300 wont start after tune up

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-13, 03:53 PM
pharaohsmc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 92 ES300 wont start after tune up

I have a 1992 ES00 and today decided to tune the car up. Replaced the following. Spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor button, and the fule filter. Everything went in exactly as it came out but now, the car will not start. There is no ignition fire. Checked the cap and rotor again and they are fine, so I am assuming it is either the coil or ignitor. Am I missing something here? Why wont it start after changing out the parts. Oh, checked all fuses as well and they are all fine. Can someone tell me what is wrong?
Old 05-05-13, 04:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,907 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Maybe you forgot to connect the high tension wire that goes between the coil/igniter and the distributor?
Old 05-05-13, 06:42 PM
pharaohsmc
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Coil Wire?

I am assuming you are talking about the coil wire itself that was supplied with the spark plug wires. If so, then yes it is hooked up. There is no spark coming out of the coil itself, so Im not sure if it is the coil or the ignitor, or perhaps both. I dont understand why it happened after the tune up. Ive done a thousand (figuratively speaking) tune ups in my day and have never had this problem before. It statred up and ran before I did the work, but now it wont start. As I said, am I missing something?
Old 05-05-13, 07:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

How about the obvious stuff like the connectors properly secured on the distributor? Do you have a CEL light showing when the key is in the ON position but engine not running? Or maybe the security system has disabled the spark, not sure if your car has that feature or not. To check, simply lock then unlock the doors with the remote.
Old 05-05-13, 11:47 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

what about re-using your old cap & rotor to see if they still work. your old parts worked before, they should work again.
Old 05-06-13, 07:32 AM
pharaohsmc
Driver School Candidate

I did put the old cap and rotor back on and they didnt make a difference. I was unaware f the security thing though. When I bought the car, the guy I got it from said it had an alarm bu that there was no remote for it. I can lock and unlock all the doors by turning key in drivers door. Will that help? Is there a fuse to shut off the alarm if it IS engaged? I obviously did the tune up with the doors unlocked, so, once I pulled it up on the ramps, could that have triggereed the alarm?????
Old 05-07-13, 01:27 PM
pharaohsmc
Driver School Candidate

OK. This car is OFFICIALLY pissing me off. I have done EVERYTHING I was instructed to do, even replaced the coil and ignotor, and there is STILL no fire. I did the key trick to turn off the alarm (if it even has one, it does nothing when you turn the key like that), I have checked every fuse, relay, everything. Why am I getting no fire? There appears to be nothing coming out of the coil at all . . . . what else can I do? What havent I done? What else lets the coil create spark for the car?
Old 05-07-13, 02:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I'll quote myself:
Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Do you have a CEL light showing when the key is in the ON position but engine not running?
I'm not sure on your model of ES, but other ones will disable the ignition system if the security system is tripped, like a battery disconnected for example and you will have to lock and unlock the doors with the remote before you can start the car.
Old 05-07-13, 07:37 PM
pharaohsmc
Driver School Candidate

OK thats all good and I understand what you are telling me. Trouble is, I dont have a remote. The car didnt come with one when I bought it, so Im not even sure if it HAS an alarm. Is there a FUSE for the security system that can be pulled out? I tried something I read before about grounding out the blue/red wire under the drivers kckplate but it made no difference. I have no flashing lights or chirps of an alarm when I turn the key left and then right to supposedly disable the alarm. I was told today that the crank sensor could be bad, is this a possibility? I do appreciate your feedback and i have been following your advice, but nothing has worked so far.
Old 05-07-13, 07:45 PM
pharaohsmc
Driver School Candidate

This is what I read about disarming the factory alarm without a remote, or disconnecting it premanently . . .

"To disarm without unlocking, give a
negative pulse to the smaller gauge
red/blue wire in the drivers kick panel.

Once Located, splice into this wire with
a simular guage wire, and put it to
a solid chassis ground. This terminates
the OEM alarm functions entirely."
Old 05-07-13, 08:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

If the crank sensor is bad or the signal is not getting to the ECU you will have no spark. But I can't see why you doing work on the distributor would cause the sensor to fail.

Again I will ask, do you have a CEL when the key is on but the engine not running?
Old 05-08-13, 09:18 AM
pharaohsmc
Driver School Candidate

Im srry, I meaqnt to answer that yesterday. No CEL light in dash. Im honestly not sure what I did here . . .:-(
Old 05-08-13, 09:37 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

No CEL light means the ECU is dead/not getting power so the engine will obviously never run. This is assuming the CEL itself is not burnt out of course. You need to carefully check all fuses relays and go from there.
Old 05-08-13, 03:14 PM
pharaohsmc
Driver School Candidate

OK I will do that, but I have a question. Where IS the crank sensor? I can not find this thing anywhere . . . I would think it was by the crank, but there is nothing there . . .
Old 05-08-13, 04:06 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry I was thinking of the 1MZ-FE engine, your car does not have a crank position sensor AFAIK. The ECU gets the rotational signal from the distributor. Are you absolutely sure the connectors are on the distributor properly, and no broken wires? Does the distributor rotate when you crank the engine?

Quick Reply: 92 ES300 wont start after tune up