ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Front suspension creaking sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-03, 10:06 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't had the need to. But I picked the car up with 10,500 miles on it.
This might have been done before I took ownership.

It is ironic that you ask. I meant to get a copy of what service was done before I took it on. There was one thing I could remeber to do (or knew I wanted to do) while I was chatting with the service writer. Must be early oldtimers disease. I tend to call it CRC(or S)......can't remeber crap (or s#@%).

My guess is that cause I have had no problem, that this was done already. I will give them a call Monday to see if it had been done.

Thanks for reminding me.

steviej
Old 06-08-03, 07:41 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car does not have a creak, but rather a clunk, after I back up, then put it in drive and accelerate. It is not a cv joint clunk though. It also only does it once, unless I hit a bump in the road, then I will occasionally hear it. It sounds more like a steering part or suspension. It could also possibly be the brake on my car as well. I know that my front struts are bad. Could the strut be causing this clunk?
Old 06-10-03, 09:57 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Can anyone tell ny looking at this photo of my front right strut on my car looks original? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Front suspension creaking sound-jun10-17.jpg  
Old 07-28-03, 08:23 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

the pads and rotors where changed out last saturday.
There is no more brake pulsation.

BUT, the clunking sound is back more than ever in the right front wheel area. I happens with bumps, it happens with the brakes and without. It happens on little bumps and on big bumps and then all of a sudden it doesn't happen anymore for a while.
It is so annoying.

The car goes back in this Sat for the clunking noise, I have the alldata list in hand.

steviej
Old 07-29-03, 05:49 AM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

I know your frustration Stevie. I've tried several times to get my problem resolved to no avail. Last time, they chipped some ice from the wheel well and called that their warranty fix. Of course it didn't work. I've noticed the "creak" appears below approx 60 degrees in temp so basically I'm not even going to frustrate myself further by going to dealer this summer as they won't be able to "replicate". This past spring though, the sound became more pronounced to the point that I could stand outside the car and push down on the front, essentially rocking the spension up and down, and replicated the noise. That sugested to me the problem was more suspension than brakes.

I understand there is a tsb about the creaking sound but don't know what fix the tsb proposes. As to your rotor problems, did that come on recently? I saw on an earlier post asking about having brake pads and rotors replaced under warranty. Is that something us '02 owners should look into? I assumed warranty wouldn't cover "wear" on brakes.

Hope you find a solution and eliminate your aggravation. If you can shed any light on the tsb about the coil spring creaking fix proposed, I would appreciate.

Good luck.
Brad

also: Have you tried the color pen to touch up paint chips? Read on another thread and it looks easier to use. Wondered how it looked on the Silver color we share.
Old 07-29-03, 07:38 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

I tend to think it is suspension too. I get the clunk even when not on the brakes and sometimes not at all.

the stock brakes, develop a pulsation problem when heated (long highway trips, excessive use).
The TSB is replacing out the rotor and pads with a better material match. Problem goes away. All covered by the dealer. Call, tell them you are getting brake pulsation in front, they will replace them out.

I did buy the pen, haven't used it. A guy I know at a body shop told me to wash the spots with alcohol (rubbing alcohol is ok) to get rid of the wax buildup. I special fiberglass pen (my dad's got one) helps to clean out the chip before the pen is used. I know CL member in NY that bought one and swears by it.
I looks easier than a touch up brush.

I can say that the pen can't be used upside down. That is a story for another day.

steviej
Old 07-29-03, 11:37 AM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info about the pulsating breaks. I have noticed that symptom developing but wrote it off to normal wear. I'll add that to my list at next service.

As to the creaking suspension sound, does the tsb regarding such give any clues as to a fix?

As to the "upside down" use of the touch up pen, sounds like a story I might enjoy.

Best to you,
Brad
Old 08-04-03, 08:12 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Brad, here is the scoop.

I took the car in on Sat morning 8/2 and was totally embarassed. The car didn't make a single sound except for the normal brake pad engaement noise. The tech was really great, he rode it over the lip in the garage floor with several techs standing outside the car, he rode with me through construction sites, bumps, crappy roads, and the like.
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

It had been raining the day before and all night, and the road was wet that morning. I wonder if the ran and moisture has masked the sound. I will see when it dries up.

They did check out the brakes and said all was tight. I can't help if they looked, found a loose bolt, tightened it and then rode with me. Probably not, cause the car didn't make a sound for the entire 35 miles to get there and from Thursday on to Sat.

Oh well, sorry I couldn't be of more information. As for the TSB on the front coil spring noise....I can't help you as to the content, just the TSB number.

Steviej
Old 08-05-03, 12:29 AM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure you were not imagining the noise. I've noticed the sound on my car is only apparent under approx 60 degrees of outside temp. Don't know if that played in your situation or not. I'll wait until cooler weather before messing with my dealer again on this. In the meantine, will plan to get brakes upgraded. Thanks for the update.
Brad
Old 08-05-03, 08:47 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Brad, this is weird.
The noise came back today. I am finding that it only does this when it is above 80°F.
Maybe that is why it doesn't happen in the rain.

steviej
Old 08-07-03, 04:10 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Front suspension creaking sound

Originally posted by Brad681
Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I have a 2002 ES 300, now with approx 20000 miles. Last winter I noticed a creaking sound when I slowly went over a bump or at the point of leaving the roadway to go up incline of a driveway as an example. The sound seemed primarily on the drivers side but at times seemed to also come from passenger side.
Seems many people with other Lexus models experience the exact same thing (creaking sound in front suspension when going over bumps slowly), typically during colder weather. I noticed it in my LS starting from a few years ago, and was told it was normal. The sound is rather disconcerting though, especially on a newer car.
Old 08-09-03, 12:38 AM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

Stevie, that is strange. Here in Southern Illinois its very hot and humid this time of year and I can't say I've heard the sound in this type of weather. Now for the 6 months of the year with cooler temps, I'll be hearing, and not liking it again.

kreativ, I'm beginning to think you are right about this sound being a Lexus thing. Didn't notice it on my last ES300 so thought maybe something was amiss with the new design, there is apparently a TSB about this. After many tries at a fix, including replacing one of the struts, nothing has really worked. If this is just something to live with, I wish they would come out and tell me that so I wouldn't waste energy looking into a "problem" with no apparent solution. Thanks for your observations from your experience.
Brad
Old 08-09-03, 06:05 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

the more that I am aware of it, I am starting to think that it is the brakes shifting and the temp thing may be due to the heat of the brake parts as it happens later in the day/use of the car rather than on intial startup.
I can't help but wonder if less grease was used on the right side than left side, as the left side is totally silent.

JPI was very helpful in a PM saying to grease the heck out of the pins and travel path of the pads. That is my next step. Unfortunately, I've been such a "pain in the ***" about the tranny thing at my place of service I don't dare bring it in again for this. I can do this one at home. Pulled brakes many times in the past.

I will let you know.

steviej
Old 08-09-03, 06:52 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Brad, listen to this,
I am out by my car and decide to shake each wheel while the car is flat on all four.. The left two and right rear are solid, BUT the right front (sound eminating from this wheel-remember) clunks when I shake it.

At 27k can a wheel bearing go bad?

Tomorrow I have to put a different tire on and make sure it is not the rim shaking and it is infact the hub.

I'm getting closer. I will keep you posted once again.

steviej
Old 08-11-03, 08:23 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

The Lexus tech found something wrong with the strut. It is being replaced Tuesday.
I will know if it was in fact the problem by tomorrow night.

steviej.

Quick Reply: Front suspension creaking sound