ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Front suspension creaking sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-03, 08:22 AM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stevie: As to a wheel bearing going bad relatively soon in the life of a car, it certainly can happen. Had that experience on my last ES300 (1998). A rear wheel bearing went bad, sounded like I was driving a truck for a while until they replaced.

As to the strut replacement in the front, I've had that experience on my 2002. They replaced the drivers side strut and the noise I have referred to disappeared for several months. Now that it is back in cooler weather, I can't imagine the replaced strut is bad again, the odds seems against that.

In fact, the company wanted my dealer to send them my bad strut for their investigation so maybe there is something not yet out on a tsb about this problem. We may just happen to be in on the beginning. Feel lucky???

Hope your strut replacement takes care of the noise problem. Even if not, sounds like it needed replaced.
Brad
Old 08-12-03, 08:07 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brad, the dealer was able to recreate the noise I described in a two page letter I left on the service managers desk. This place was great. They r+r'd the old strut with a brand new one.
The noise is gone, I can't shake the tire and get the noise. The noise in the moonroof is gone too. (I'll take that as a perk).

I riding with a big smile once again. I love this car.

Course, I will see what happens in several months time. I can't help if it was a good sized pothole that shocked the strut. The service guy I talked to said they were going to rip the strut apart to find out what came loose inside.

steviej
Old 08-13-03, 06:07 AM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

Stevie:
Glad to hear the fix worked well. Enjoy the peace!!!

Brad
Old 12-03-03, 01:33 PM
wza
Driver School Candidate

Default important question..

I have a 99 es300 and am experiencing noise from the front suspension.. I took it to a mechanic and they said i needed new struts/mounts and sway bars... There is a TSB out for this specific problem. Will lexus honor this TSB despite the fact that my warranty is up? Thanks for any insight.
Old 12-03-03, 06:59 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

doesn't hurt to ask them.

steviej
Old 12-03-03, 07:55 PM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

I'm personally not sure if the TSB you're referring to will cover the cost. I finally found a TSB for the sound that's been driving me nuts on my 2002 and took the info to the dealer. Appears the problem is due to rubbing between the upper insulator and the urethane tube covering the top of the coil springs. They make a replacement kit that supposedly corrects this problem. Hope it works as now that colder weather has arrived, the noise is consistent. I'm scheduled for the repair in a couple of weeks when the parts arrive. Looking at this TSB, it seems to only refer to certain of the 2002 models.

Stevie...BTW, I think I remember you telling me you ordered the autosharp pen? I'm about to order but am a bit confused about the paint code. I'm reading C/TR: 1CO/ LA 17 as the code for our Millineum silver on the car sticker. Am I correct that 1CO is the body and bumper color and LA17 the black trim around windows? Also, were you pleased with the product as expected?

Also, thanks for the heads up on the brake replacement. Got mine done a few weeks ago...much improvement.

Brad
Old 12-04-03, 10:49 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Brad,
Mil. Silver is 1CO. I don't like the pen, or at least the one I got. It just blobs out. I think something is wrong with the pen I was sent. The color does match very well.

steviej
Old 12-04-03, 07:29 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default paint pen

Originally posted by steviej
Brad,
Mil. Silver is 1CO. I don't like the pen, or at least the one I got. It just blobs out. I think something is wrong with the pen I was sent. The color does match very well.

steviej
Steve, not sure if I should say this dude since you probably already know, but any kind of silver is a very hard color to match with the original body. The touch-up alternative, be it the dealer brush bottle or the paint pen, will never look as good as the original color.

For the black color like mine, it blends in really well. Black is black. I have the Autosharp Pen for my Black Onyx, and repaired the chips on the front hood and parts of the sides of the body. I'll show you what I did next time I come up to Boston, or in the next NE meet
Old 12-04-03, 07:58 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Doug, as I said in my post, the silver color matched very well.

It is not the color that is the problem. It is the actual pen type device that delivers the paint.
It does not flow well, like a sharpie. The felt tip is totally impregnated with paint, it just puddles up rather than flow out smoothly.

I just refrain from using either the brush or the pen.

steviej
Old 12-04-03, 08:18 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Steve,

Oh man, sorry about that, when I read your first post I thought I was reading "the color does not match very well". Hehe, guess I totally misread that part huh. My bad
Old 01-30-04, 01:17 PM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

Finally, a resolution to the front suspension creaking sound on my 2002 ES300. After many unsuccessful attempts to correct by the dealer, I researched Alldata myself and discovered a TSB on this very problem. I took it to the dealer and told them I wanted that exact fix. It worked!!!

Basically, on early production 2002 models, they utilized a urethane tube as part of the coil spring mounting. In colder weather, for mine anything under 60 degrees, there was a rubbing against this tube causing the creaking sound. The fix is a new mounting that eliminates the urethane tube, and thank goodness, the noise. For the first time since buying the car new, I can drive on the brick streets of my town in silence....

Thanks to all who gave input and suggestions as to fixing this problem. Appreciate the efforts.

Brad
Old 01-30-04, 08:29 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Brad, cool.
I make a point to always look at alldata.com when something starts to act up. Many delaers do not.

glad you found your piece and quiet. enjoy the ride.

steviej
Old 01-31-04, 10:59 AM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

steviej
A special thanks to you. It was your prompting that led me to check Alldata, the fee for their service has more than paid for itself. Was also you that suggested looking into replacing front brakes, with a much improved result.

I hope your car continues to give you a good drive and enjoy that bike when the weather warms. I'm an old motocrosser myself and have always loved bikes. Would have one now except no time to ride. I've been looking online at the new Harley Heritage Softail Classics, now that might get me back in.

Again, thanks.

Brad
Old 02-11-04, 03:31 AM
bouellet
Rookie

Default Dealer

Hi Steve from fellow massachusettsian. Just wondering what dealer you use. I use Norwood. thx .
Brad
Old 02-20-04, 03:36 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brad681 - Would you be able to post some information from the TSB concerning the front suspension creaking?

Quick Reply: Front suspension creaking sound