ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Front suspension creaking sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-03, 07:47 PM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front suspension creaking sound

Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I have a 2002 ES 300, now with approx 20000 miles. Last winter I noticed a creaking sound when I slowly went over a bump or at the point of leaving the roadway to go up incline of a driveway as an example. The sound seemed primarily on the drivers side but at times seemed to also come from passenger side.

Took to dealer and they tried various fixes. First, lubed thinking maybe something may have been affected by winter weather. No result, then they replaced bushings with no result. They then replaced the strut on the drivers side and that seemed to fix the problem.

What's confusing me now is that the sound has returned less than a year later. I find it hard to believe another new strut has gone bad. Wondering if anyone has had similar experience or advice to minimize repeat trips to dealer with no result.
Old 01-01-03, 08:33 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have just over 17,200 mi on my 2002 and haven't heard anything similar yet. But I will be listening.

Thanks for the head's up.

sj
Old 01-02-03, 11:48 AM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

Thanks SJ. From your car pic, looks like we picked the same car color.

I'm beginning to wonder if the sound may be something beside struts, maybe body panel or something under hood that gets felxed when I start up an incline. I'll let you know if I get it figured out so you can be aware.

The only other problem I've had with mine has been a mold smell emminating from the AC vents when on. The dealer tells me that is relatively common. They sprayed something called "fridge fresh" into the ventilation intake vents (located under windshield under hood), seems to have helped. I'll keep spraying with lysol or something to try to kill all the bacteria. Saw another post about using Fabrese but I'm thinking that might more mask the smell rather that outright kill the bacteria. Otherwise, no problems or complaints with the car.

hope you are having an enjoyable experience. This is my second 300 es, first was a new 1999. Really like the improvements in the 2002, particularly the changes to the cd arrangement.

Thanks again for your response. I wish you many miles of enjoyable and safe driving.

Brad
Old 01-03-03, 08:27 PM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

In talking with someone about this creaking problem, I was told there is a TSB on that very problem. This is all new to me. Anyone know how I might go about seeing such a bulletin before getting with my dealer? They have had at least 4 stabs at correcting the problem thus far and I want to make sure I know exactly what they should be doing before spending any more time on this repair.
Old 01-03-03, 11:58 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

try www.alldata.com

click on TSB. It will ask you for make, yr, and model.
The free service on this website will give you the TSB number and brief title description of problem. Take the list to your dealership and have them pull up the TSB from Alldata or the TSB cross-referenced by Lexus. You need to subscribe to get the whole shabang.

another system for TSBs is "Mitchell's On-Demand".

Lexus itself should be aware of any TSB, press the issue with the service manager.
Old 01-04-03, 04:20 AM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info SJ, I'll do that. Sounds like there just may be an answer to this "mysterious" creaking sound.
Brad
Old 05-04-03, 02:45 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

it must be a 20k mile thing or you jinxed me Brad.
Recently I have been noticing a clunk sound when turning. It is not a constant rattle, just an occasional clunk, usually when finishing a turn like when reversing or pulling out of a parking spot. It doesn't always happen with bumps, so I don't know if it is steering related, suspension related or a combo of both.
I am at 22,200 miles.

I have a check up coming up with the dealer within the month. I will have them look at it. I have both ALLDATA TSB in hand, too.

steviej
Old 05-04-03, 05:20 PM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear you are starting to experience a similar problem. Really didn't intend to jinx you... I'm convinced it's a suspension related problem. My dealer has tried replacing bushings, lubing and replacing one strut, which was the only thing that seemed to help for a while. I've noticed the problem particularly when the suspension is flexed, such as going out of a driveway onto a street and also that the problem is worse under 60 degrees of temp. Last time I really checked, I was able to physically bounce the car pushing down on the front driver's side of the engine compartment and could plainly hear the creak. I'm going to AGAIN have the service people look into the issue and tell them there is a service bulletin about the creaking problem. I don't have access to the aldata bulletins so don't really know what the service bulletins say, but the description of the problem sounds spot on for what I'm experiencing.

Hope you find a solution with less frustration that what I've experienced. I still love the car and am almost accustomed to the occasional sound, but it still bugs me enough to keep on them to get it resolved. I'm coming up on 25K now and can certainly say no regrets here. I like the changes from my 1999 ES model that I traded in for this car.

By the way, saw your pics of the spoiler you installed....nice.

Brad
Old 05-20-03, 04:03 AM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

Stevie, I checked out that Aldata site you noted and found a tsb referring to creaking sound in the front coils. In you last post you stated you had the tsb's on this problem for our car, any clues as to what the fix is proposed to be?

I'm about to schedule another oil change and will tell them to check out the creaking sound again, though not as pronounced in this warmer weather. Will also inform them of the tsb, though thay should know already. Thought if I had an idea of the proposed fix with respect to the coil springs, they would be more accountable.

Hope you're enjoying your spoiler, looks good. Having some thoughts now of getting one for mine too. Thanks.
Old 05-20-03, 02:07 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

process of elimination tells me it is in the steering or ball joint linkages.
It only happens when coming to a stop (weight shift) or turning a corner onto a hill (ie: my driveway), sometimes I hear it upon initial motion (weight shift again).
I am going in for the 25,000 service (i would do this myself, but I want the tires rotated and I want them to look at the suspension/steering). I have to be very explicit, I do not want to pay for the time for the warranty inspection and they may try to mix that hourly charge in with my paid for service. Know what I mean?

That appointment is 5/31. I will post or PM you that afternoon.

Steve

Last edited by steviej; 05-20-03 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-21-03, 06:58 AM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply. From the title of one of the TSBs, it sounded like they have noted a problem with the coil spring creaking. I'm suspecting that as well. I agree with your experience of when the sound is noticed. Earlier this spring, with cooler weather, I was able to open the hood and push down repeatedly on the car, bouncing effect, and noted the same sound. That is what has led me to believe the coil spring may play a part. In your review of that particular TSB, do they advocate replacing the spring or addition of some part to silence?

I'll postpone my 25K service in order to see what you experience with your dealer. As I've said before, my dealer has lubed then replaced bushings, next replaced the entire strut on the drivers side. Problem remains. I am hoping to not have to continue to mess with them without having a clue as to what to do. At my last service this winter, I noted the problem persisted, their only action was to "remove some ice in the wheel well". Give me a break.

Hope you have a better experience. Again, thanks for your reply. Have a great holiday weekend.
brad
Old 05-26-03, 03:41 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've experienced both these issues - creaking springs in cold weather and an occassional clunk sound when turning - except on a '91 LS400. It seems creaking springs in colder weather isn't so uncommon amongst Lexus owners. As for the occassional clunk sound, some possibilities thrown out were loose dubframe nuts or rack bolts. Master tech at my local Lexus dealer checked things out and found no problems - creaking springs was just due to cold weather, and nuts and bolts on the steering linkage were fine (clunking sound due to possibly the brake system, which made sense since I seem to get the clunk sound when applying the brakes while turning). With a '91, I'm happy as long as there's nothing that requires repair.
Old 05-26-03, 08:37 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

I have to agree with you on the clunk sound being related to having the wheel turned and applying the brake at the same time.

We will see this Sat.

steviej
Old 05-31-03, 06:13 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

the clunk that I have been hearing has been determined to be the free floating pads on the front brakes.
The clunk supposedly gets more noticable as the pads wear. ok?., I guess I will take their word for it.
They rotated the tires, too and now I don't hear anything. maybe them wiggling the brakes helped???

anyway it was reported out as "normal condition"

steviej
Old 05-31-03, 07:00 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by steviej
the clunk that I have been hearing has been determined to be the free floating pads on the front brakes.
The clunk supposedly gets more noticable as the pads wear. ok?., I guess I will take their word for it.
They rotated the tires, too and now I don't hear anything. maybe them wiggling the brakes helped???

anyway it was reported out as "normal condition"

steviej
Thanks for reporting back the diagnosis. Sounds along the same line as what I was told for my LS: a "normal condition" caused when braking while turning. Can't say I've noticed it up until the past couple years though.

By the way, have you had them replace the front rotors and pads on your '02 ES under warranty yet?

Last edited by kreativ; 05-31-03 at 07:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Front suspension creaking sound