ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Orange oil light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-03, 04:27 PM
jewelerz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orange oil light?

I just got a new engine put in. Everything seems to be running good. Except that there is a orange light. It looks like the indicator for the oil but its orange with a wavy line underneth. The guy who put the engine in said that I just need an O2 sensor. Does that sound right? And what is the function of a 02 sensor?

Thanx
Old 01-04-03, 08:06 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the orange light should be in your owners manual somewhere with a description.

ok, i went and got my manual to check. the orange oil/genie lamp looking indicator w/ the wavy line underneath means "add engine oil." but you should have enough oil put in when the shop did it...check how much oil you have. unless your other oil light (the oil lamp with the dripping oil, which means low oil pressure) comes on, then your engine is probably holding the right oil pressure, so there'd be no leak. just check the level, and make sure your warning lights are working properly-do they all come on when you turn on the ignition?
the o2 sensor explanation doesnt sound right but i aint the mechanic. and an o2 sensor is basically this device that basically monitors air/fuel ratio for the engine. it looks like a spark plug.
Old 01-04-03, 10:58 PM
jaymode
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they may have forgot to hook up the oil sensor. That happened to me when they pulled apart my engine and scared the hell out of me. Go back and tell them to check and make sure all the sensors are plugged in.
Old 01-04-03, 11:55 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two lights that look like aladin's lamp and both have a drop of oil coming out the spout.
The lamp alone is the Low Engine Oil PRESSURE Warning Light.
The lamp with the wavy line is the Low Engine Oil LEVEL Warning Light.

In both instances, check the level with the dipstick when the car is on a level surface BEFORE you start the engine. I don't know how far you have traveled with it on, but if you are truly low on or out of oil, you will be putting a third motor in.

Jaymode is correct, it may be the sensor or sending unit. If the oil is at the proper level and if the sensor is hooked up, it may be malfunctioning and should be replaced.

The O2 (oxygen) sensor looks (like meZoom said) a big silver sparkplug with a thin wire that comes out of the stem. Older cars had one screwed into the exhaust system aft of the motor but before the catalytic converter. They monitor oxygen content in the exhuast gas. The oxygen reacts with the sensor to create a voltage that is measured. The ECU uses this signal to help determine the proper fuel/air ratio to be made to make your car run smooth.
My 02' Lexus has three O2 sensors. When one fails it will initiate a trouble code and the Check Engine Light (aka: Malfunction Indicator Lamp) will come on, not an oil light.

Final thought: After the oil light mystery is solved, start looking for a new mechanic. I am suprised they would have delivered without checking this themselves.

steviej