ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Some quick questions about wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-13, 08:29 AM
StuckInVA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some quick questions about wheel bearings

Hey guys. Long story short I'm about to change out my front wheel bearings. The process seems mostly straightforward, but I had a couple quick questions. '93 ES

1) When I get my steering knuckle off, I'm thinking I should let a shop handle removing the bearings and pressing the new ones in as I don't have the special tools for this task. good idea or no? Will it be hard to find a shop to do this or can most handle it?

2) This is going to F up my alignment isn't it? and then I'll need to get one?

3) Since I've already got all of that stuff apart is there anything on the less expensive side I should replace while I'm at it? I don't have the money for shocks right now, otherwise I'd be getting that mess out of the way.

4) are there any "non reusable" bits that I've forgotten to get? I only bought the bearings and hubs.

5) I've got a mean squeal from what I'm assuming is a bushing connected to the power steering system. is it a good idea to replace those? can I get to them? what do I look for when I order?

As always thanks for all of the help you guys give, this is a great community. I only wish I had the knowledge to give as much back.
Old 06-20-13, 01:53 PM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

1. Let a shop press the bearings. They are almost impossible to do without the right tools (hydraulic press). Call around to find someone to do it and check how much they charge. I had someone charge me $30 and a different shop charge me $80.

2. I wouldn't think it would mess up your alignment. I could be wrong and it's always nice to have a good alignment.

3. the only thing that comes to mind would be the ball joints and maybe the sway bar links if they are bad.

4. Can't think of any off the top of my head.

5. Usually the squeal would be from a loose or worn power steering belt. I'd try tightening the belt before I did anything else.
Old 06-21-13, 12:04 PM
StuckInVA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. Also it is a brand new P/S belt; only ~1500 miles on it. It doesn't sound like belt squeal either. It sounds like a puppy whining, whereas belts tend to sound more like women shrieking to me.

I don't suppose you know if there are any bushings that would only be affected while the wheels turn? It's intermittent too, and tends to make noise in bursts. For five minutes it'll whine while i turn the wheels and then be good for awhile. Sometimes it won't do it for a couple of days, other times it'll be every half hour.

(I suppose this should be another thread though)
Old 06-21-13, 03:08 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be your p/s pump