ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

HELP!! knock sensors causing really bad mpg

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-13, 03:11 AM
SiXTY6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP!! knock sensors causing really bad mpg

Desperate for some help, ive replaced both knock sensors along with a new harness, BUT CODES ARE STILL SHOWING UP and wont let me get into overdrive, really need the help idk how much longer I can afford this because it is eating all of my gas and it is my only vehicle, I b8ught harness from dealer and two knock sensors from ebay if thats important. Thank you guys for your time.
Old 06-23-13, 11:22 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

More details required. Such as:

What year is your car?

What codes where you getting before you changed the knock sensors, and are they the same codes after you changed them ?

Who did the work?

Are you sure you got the right sensors off of eBay?

How do you know they're good?

Did you try resetting the codes, and if so do the same codes come back?

If the codes come back, than under what circumstances do they come back?

Any other symptoms?

Phillip
Old 06-23-13, 12:26 PM
SiXTY6
Driver School Candidate

2000lexus es300 p0330 and p0325, yea the sensors bolt right up and I made sure they are correct, I dont if it might be the sensors but it is my second pair of sensors from ebay, I have tryed resetting the codes and they still comeon, and they come on after the car heats up to a certain temp or after about 20 or 30 mins of continuos driving
Old 06-23-13, 07:08 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Sorry forgot to ask you.

Originally when the problem first occured, did both knock sensor codes occur simulteniously, or did one come on first, and than the other came on several days, weeks, or months later?

With the new knock sensors, did the check engine light come on simulteniously with both codes?

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 06-23-13 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-23-13, 08:57 PM
SiXTY6
Driver School Candidate

At first one came on then when I changed it then both came on and when I changed it for thr third time it stil came on with the same codes
Old 06-24-13, 07:47 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SiXTY6
At first one came on then when I changed it then both came on and when I changed it for thr third time it stil came on with the same codes
I'm not clear of your answer, but if you're saying that with the original knock sensors, the two CEL codes came on a few weeks or so apart, and then with the eBay sensors both knock sensor CEL codes come on immediately, than logically, the most likely problem is that the knock sensors that you got are not compatible with your car, or are defective (which I doubt). Unfortunately, without proper instruments, there is no way to check them for ompatibility,

Of course there could be a problem upstream from the new harness (away from the knock sensors).. But I doubt that to.

There are seveal posts on this forum describing the same issue that you're having now, and it turned out to be a problem with the after market knock sensor incompatibility.

Apperantly some aftermarket knock sensors are compatible, and some are not. I don't know which are which, but maybe someone that has bought knock sensors off of eBay for your specific year and model Lexus can chime in with what they bought, and their experience.

Obviously the safest thing is to get them from the Dealer, or an online Lexus dealer, such as Sewell Lexus for example, much cheaper)

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 06-24-13 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-25-13, 08:28 PM
SiXTY6
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice I havent bought from dealer always bought on ebay but ill go check out the sewell lexus, I only bought harness from dealer das about it any more ideas u think?