ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Something rubbing after rear brake and rotor change

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-13, 03:33 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Something rubbing after rear brake and rotor change

First problem solved, the light was on because the brake fluid level was low, put more brake fluid in, light is GONE! Still have rubbing sound problem....

Hey guys,

I just changed the rear rotors and brakes. First of all, let me say that changing the rear rotors was a pain in the *** for a newbie mechanic such as myself.

The passenger side rotor didn't give me too much trouble, but the drivers side one I couldn't slide off. After trying some hammering, we came to the conclusion that the parking brake clamp was holding it, so we found the adjustment and loosened it up, behind the rubber pad there is access to an adjustment, so after playing around we made it loose and voila, the rotor slid off like cake.

After putting the new rotor/brakes on and everything, we noticed the wheel was barely turning because we made the adjustment too tight, so we took off the wheel and then wanted to play with the adjustment, but we installed the rotor in the wrong place and the adjustment hole was covered (doh smashes head on wall). We took everything off again, and put the rotor back on the proper way with the adjustment hole lined up. We probably adjusted the parking brake 3-4 times and finally decided that the wheel was spinning freely enough (this is just the drivers side).

We lifted the car from the passenger side and checked the wheel there, and it was spinning more freely than the drivers side, so we decided it was good enough for now and decided to go for a test drive.

When I turned on my car, the parking brake light is always on, even pushing the parking brake pedal all the way down and releasing it a few times.

What can be the problem? Is the adjustment on the drivers side wheel still too much that the light is on?

Also, I'm hearing a slight rubbing type noise, not very loud, when driving, did I screw something up?

Last edited by Bumbobee; 06-23-13 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-23-13, 04:56 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Take the wheels off and remove the caliper/pads. Now put two lug nuts on, to hold the rotor in place. Now spin the rotor and listen for any noises, also look to see if the rotor is wobbling or not. I just did my rear brakes as well, and I also had some trouble with the parking brake holding the rotor on.

If you hear a rubbing/grinding noise from the rotors, then you'll need to figure out where they're making contact. When I was assembling my new brakes, I noticed that the driver side rotor was wobbling and rubbing against the hub. I tapped it with a hammer in between the studs, and it set itself in place - no more noise.