ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Just an idea and some thinking aloud

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-13, 07:25 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just an idea and some thinking aloud

Don't beat me up here but I just wonder what would happen if you put a little boost into the air assisted injection system? One would have to draw the air into some sort of pump or small blower from after the MAF somehow and it would need to be switched off at idle and have a check valve to prevent blowing back through the IAC but I wonder if one would gain anything here. I am just taking a "what if" approach to this but I would love some educated input here. I would like to think that this sort of thinking is how good R & D come to be .
Old 08-05-13, 11:08 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythotical
Don't beat me up here but I just wonder what would happen if you put a little boost into the air assisted injection system? One would have to draw the air into some sort of pump or small blower from after the MAF somehow and it would need to be switched off at idle and have a check valve to prevent blowing back through the IAC but I wonder if one would gain anything here. I am just taking a "what if" approach to this but I would love some educated input here. I would like to think that this sort of thinking is how good R & D come to be .
I'm confused, but aren't you basically talking about the effects of a turbocharger and/or a supercharger?
Old 08-07-13, 06:28 AM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Not quite... This is simply increasing the velocity of the air flowing past the injector tips making better fuel atomization occur. This is a good read to understand what I am talking about.

http://bio.souz-96.com/Lexus/RX300_R...ESCRIPTION.pdf
Old 08-07-13, 08:23 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Been done...its called TVIS - toyota variable induction system
Old 08-08-13, 10:04 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

That is almost what I mean. My theory is that having a little pressure in the air assisted fuel injection system while the throttle is open more than say 40% or when vacuum in the plenum and manifold is low would continue the effect of high velocity air in the air assisted fuel injection system even at full throttle thus resulting in better fuel atomization and more power. The air assisted fuel injection in the 1MZ relies on the vacuum in the plenum being greater then the vacuum at the injector nozzles thus causing the air regulated by the IAC to rush and swirl in the injector tips in order to benefit fuel atomization. When the throttle is open more than 40% the vacuum begins to equalize and the effect is lost. So that is back to my idea which is essentially to force this system to continue to work through the entire engine RPM and throttle range. Do you think it will result in any gains? I think I just have to try it and find out.
Old 08-09-13, 12:08 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something like this?

Old 08-10-13, 10:23 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

That is exactly what I mean! But I will never buy a BMW. I am just thinking out loud here. I can never leave good enough alone and I am a bit of a Wicked Tinkerer as they say. Extension cords are for plugging my tools into not my toys. Also I think I have an idea of how to try my idea. I think I could just build a small scoupe into the port in the TB where the IAC inlet is. I have access to a lot of aircraft tools and materials so this should be easy.