ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Aftermarket Navigation - ES300 Dash Kits

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 07:21 AM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Navigation - ES300 Dash Kits

Hey everybody. I know there has been quite a few threads on aftermarket navis on CL so I don't plan on rehashing what was already discussed. However, there are some new products out there that I just wanted to talk about with you all.

For instance, does anybody have any experience with this kit?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-99-8158G.html

It came out in late 2011/early 2012. Here is the video of it by Metra:

Now I know that a lot of folks like the OEM Nav dash that has "LEXUS" under the faceplate opening:

The reason I suspect is that the look is obviously very OEM, with not only the logos but the faceplate part is also inset.

Now I'd like to give my two cents on this, being a professional designer (buildings not cars, but I have some similar sensibilities). I'd argue though that the inset was mainly because the original navi had ***** which you may not have on your aftermarket navi (esp if it's fancy ). Also the original nav was wider so you have to get those bracket spacer things to fill the gap left on each side of the new DDIN head unit. Dario did a great write up on this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...o-install.html

Now I admit that does look pretty good. The dash obv looks super OEM (because it is) but I still think the nav looks aftermarket because of those gaps. It's super obvious to me when I look at it that it wasn't designed for/with the car.

On the other hand, the metra unit above has NO GAPS, and is designed to be FLUSH with the faceplate (no inset). Even though it doesnt have the LEXUS logo (which would be awesome), I think its a cleaner, tighter look from a design standpoint. What do you guys think? Just wanted some other ppls views on this. By the way, put a really sexy Lexus splash screen on the new nav and its the icing on the cake

Last edited by Druvius; 08-09-13 at 07:33 AM. Reason: new title
Old 08-09-13, 07:51 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great write up. Haven't seen the aftermarket in person, but am pretty curious to see how well it matches the climate control unit's faceplate color. Members also note that the plastic color was changed in the 2005-06 ES to a lighter silver.
Old 08-09-13, 08:30 AM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Megafast13
Great write up. Haven't seen the aftermarket in person, but am pretty curious to see how well it matches the climate control unit's faceplate color. Members also note that the plastic color was changed in the 2005-06 ES to a lighter silver.
Yeah that's totally a huge issue. Without the color and finish matching EXACTLY, all bets are off. I used to do some stereo installs back in the 90s and the kits were TERRIBLE then. Always a generic black plate that you'd basically stick behind the OEM bezel and needless to say they looked textbook aftermarket, haha.

In the video the kit looks like a great match. Check out this guys install done last year. Bad pic, but the paint and finish look like a great match:

Old 08-09-13, 09:57 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Metra is the way to go, ask any installer out there. In fact when looking at those kits, all the people told me Metra or bust in terms of fitment. And looking at it above, I'd agree.

Personally, I'd lose the lexus decal for a tighter fitting setup all day long. And if one is so inclined to get the OEM look, you can always talk to someone with a vinyl cutter and some gold sheets to cut it out for you...
Old 08-09-13, 10:20 AM
seyelabrev
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They look pretty damn sweet to me. Only if they made one for the 3rd gen like that..
Old 08-09-13, 11:16 AM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

Also the metra kit is a hell of a lot cheaper. The OEM bezel will cost $104 last I checked, plus you need those side bracket spacer things for another $15 or so. The whole Metra kit is $29.99 in that link I posted!