ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

I can NOT get comfortable in my driver's seat!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 08:26 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I can NOT get comfortable in my driver's seat!

Hey all, hoping someone can give me some insight on this...

I just picked up a low mile 04 ES330 about a month ago. I love absolutely everything about the car except for one thing: I just cannot get comfortable in the driver's seat. Specifically, I always feel like my lower back is strained or has something poking into my lower back, or if I adjust the lumbar the pressure is gone but a big lumbar bulge is not nearly as comfortable as nice lumbar-less seat.

It's weird, I hopped into my wife's RX330 this morning to move it out of the garage, and I forgot just how comfortable those seats are. It almost feels like the ES's seat is over-contoured, either putting too much pressure into the lower back or not enough in relation to the upper back.

Has anyone else ran into this with theirs as well, or is it just me?
Old 10-09-13, 09:37 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just you....
Old 10-09-13, 09:50 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Perhaps you have a problem with your back? I suggest visiting a chiropractor. Back problems will translate into larger health issues down the road!

My seat is very comfortable, especially on long trips.
Old 10-09-13, 09:59 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Originally Posted by rlx101
Perhaps you have a problem with your back? I suggest visiting a chiropractor. Back problems will translate into larger health issues down the road!

My seat is very comfortable, especially on long trips.
I'd be willing to think that's the case if not for the fact that every other car seat I sit in, including the one this morning, felt just fine. Also weird how the 'problems with my back' started up right after I got this car. My 06 GTO seats (what I traded for this one) were significantly more comfortable in the back, I could sit in that car for hours with no issues.

I'm not completely ruling out back issues, but it seems that my driver's seat exacerbates any issues I may or may not have that other car seats do not. I've spent a month trying adjust it rule it out as just a coincidence, but at this point I can't. Could it be that the seat cushion itself could be compressed and out of shape after 10 years of use? I'm surprised this is even an issue, but I wouldn't even be posting this if it was all just in my head after a month of trying to get comfy in it. I'm not trying to trash the car, but if this is driving me nuts, then it's driving me nuts! I simply just cannot get as comfortable in this seat as others I've had before, and it's frustrating me to no end.

Are there any seat covers out there that can provide additional padding in the back area? Trying to find proactive solutions here.
Old 10-09-13, 10:08 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

it is possible that this particular seat makes the issue more noticeable than the other seats. Simple misalignment, jammed nerve or something can drive people nuts. I'd say get a free evaluation at chiropractor to rule that one out.

If you have an office job where you spend a lot of time sitting at the computer/desk etc and not too much physical activity i'd bet on back issues sometimes down the road.

if you suspect that drivers seat may be "worn out" - sit in passenger seat or in the back and see how you feel, those seats, on average, see a lot less use during cars life time.

Originally Posted by mulasien
I'd be willing to think that's the case if not for the fact that every other car seat I sit in, including the one this morning, felt just fine. Also weird how the 'problems with my back' started up right after I got this car. My 06 GTO seats (what I traded for this one) were significantly more comfortable in the back, I could sit in that car for hours with no issues.

I'm not completely ruling out back issues, but it seems that my driver's seat exacerbates any issues I may or may not have that other car seats do not. I've spent a month trying adjust it rule it out as just a coincidence, but at this point I can't. Could it be that the seat cushion itself could be compressed and out of shape after 10 years of use? I'm surprised this is even an issue, but I wouldn't even be posting this if it was all just in my head after a month of trying to get comfy in it. I'm not trying to trash the car, but if this is driving me nuts, then it's driving me nuts! I simply just cannot get as comfortable in this seat as others I've had before, and it's frustrating me to no end.

Are there any seat covers out there that can provide additional padding in the back area? Trying to find proactive solutions here.

Last edited by rlx101; 10-09-13 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-09-13, 12:23 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I absolutely love my 4ES seat. Maybe yours is just worn out. I would say to fiddle with the adjusters, however sounds like you've already done that quite a bit. I think rlx101 is right when saying you should compare the passenger seat at least.
Old 10-10-13, 08:33 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

I don't like the 3ES seat, it gets uncomfortable on longer drives. Seems like the bottom cushion is putting too much pressure on my thighs.
Old 10-10-13, 09:18 AM
mulasien
Rookie

After a lot more fiddling with it last night, I got it to the point where it is 'mostly' comfortable. It definitely feels like something is poking into my lower back if I sit for more than 5 minutes. It almost feels like either the lumber does not fully retract, or a support component above the lumbar pokes out when the lumbar is retracted. Either that, or my back is just screwed up :P (I haven't ruled it out. I've been carrying around a car seat a lot with an infant lately). I'll have someone look at it at my next service appointment.
Old 10-10-13, 07:25 PM
Erased
Driver School Candidate

I have enjoyed my 4th gen ES so far, seats are great IMO.. They definitely do not compare to the GTO seats, best seats ever, amazing!
Old 10-11-13, 04:44 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I don't like the 3ES seat, it gets uncomfortable on longer drives. Seems like the bottom cushion is putting too much pressure on my thighs.
^+1

I also find the 4ES seats uncomfortable. Same thing as MrBooby with the thigh support pushing up on my thighs. I'm only 5' 10", and it seems like the seat cushion should be longer to provide better support.

So far I'm getting by by adjusting the front of the seat cushion down, reducing the pressure on the thighs.

My Solara has a longer seat cushion and more seat travel and doesn't give pains in my thigh when driving.
Old 10-11-13, 06:28 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Seems like my back might be getting better. Lower back position isn't hurting me anymore. These seats ARE comfortable. Not QUITE as comfy as the GTO, but I'll take it .
Old 10-11-13, 11:00 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all, hoping someone can give me some insight on this...

I just picked up a low mile 04 ES330 about a month ago. I love absolutely everything about the car except for one thing: I just cannot get comfortable in the driver's seat. Specifically, I always feel like my lower back is strained or has something poking into my lower back, or if I adjust the lumbar the pressure is gone but a big lumbar bulge is not nearly as comfortable as nice lumbar-less seat.

It's weird, I hopped into my wife's RX330 this morning to move it out of the garage, and I forgot just how comfortable those seats are. It almost feels like the ES's seat is over-contoured, either putting too much pressure into the lower back or not enough in relation to the upper back.

Isn't there more adjustment to ES seat than just lumbar?
Out of all of my cars, my 95 Cobra has the most comfortable seats imo, it's like sitting on a leather recliner lol. My 01 Dodge isn't bad either, pretty decent for long road trips.