ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Overfilled engine oil. How important is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-13, 02:50 PM
vintagelex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overfilled engine oil. How important is it?

Got my oil changed at the Jiffy Lube while I was visiting at home and seems like they overfilled it a little, maybe like 1cm over the full mark on the dipstick after sitting all night. Didn't have time to take it back, I had to go back to where I go to college about 3 hours away. My question is how much does this actually affect anything? I was thinking of getting a piece of tubing and a large plastic syringe and just sucking some out through the dipstick, but if it's not too important then I don't want to have to go find and buy all that stuff. But it does kinda bug me and I might be going on a 800 or so mile round trip in about a month so if this is really overfilled for this engine I want to take care of that before that trip. Car is a 92.
Any thoughs? Thanks
Old 10-17-13, 06:15 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing I would ask why did you ever take your car to Jiffy lube? They're known for ripoffs, scams etc, Most of them are high school dropouts who don't know inch from centimeter.
Don;t give an excuse "oh well, I didn't have tools, oil drain pan etc." I've lived in apartments for 9+ years and would buy tools as needed and you only need one wrench for oil change. Do you really want to ruin your car just to "save" a few dollars by taking it to jiffy lube?
You can drain extra oil through oil drain plug, just unbolt it and drain a bit of oil and quickly tighten bolt back up, it's not that hard.
Old 10-17-13, 06:48 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

You're fine, don't worry about the extra centimeter.
Old 10-17-13, 06:51 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mitmaks
First thing I would ask why did you ever take your car to Jiffy lube? They're known for ripoffs, scams etc, Most of them are high school dropouts who don't know inch from centimeter.
Don;t give an excuse "oh well, I didn't have tools, oil drain pan etc." I've lived in apartments for 9+ years and would buy tools as needed and you only need one wrench for oil change. Do you really want to ruin your car just to "save" a few dollars by taking it to jiffy lube?
You can drain extra oil through oil drain plug, just unbolt it and drain a bit of oil and quickly tighten bolt back up, it's not that hard.
Not everyone has the space/time/tools/ect to get under their car and drain it...i know fro a fact that my school really wouldn't appreciate me jacking up my car in their parking lot to do this. Don't worry about the little extra oil.
Old 10-17-13, 07:04 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

jiffy lube is horrible. horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible.

try to find a dealer that wont rip you off. Not sure about where you live, but I can get an oil change for $20 at a dealer around here, with a quality filter (motorcraft or toyota)
Old 10-17-13, 07:13 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You should measure the oil level when the engine is warm.....not on a cold engine.
A little bit of extra oil will not harm your engine.
Old 10-17-13, 09:23 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BDSL
You should measure the oil level when the engine is warm.....not on a cold engine.
A little bit of extra oil will not harm your engine.
Umm, no. You measure your oil when engine is cool and has been shut off for at least few minutes that way it circulates from top of engine back down into oil pan, that way you're taking accurate measurement. Those markings on dipstick are for oil in the oil pan.
A little bit more oil is not as bad as when they forget to add any or forget to install an oil filter.
Old 10-17-13, 09:25 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

the problem with OVER filling your oil is that, if the oil level is too high, it will come in contact with the crank, which will 'whip' the oil and atomize it. so now the oil is kinda 'airborne' or perhaps you could say its a gas rather than liquid. well now that oil isnt really 'in the system' meaning it cant be sucked up through the pump and distributed to where its needed.

however, 'a lilttle over' wont hurtcha none.
Old 10-18-13, 06:00 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm surprised Jiffy Lube even bothered to put oil in the engine after draining it out, look's like they did you a solid!

Ok, no in all seriousness if it's overfilled by a lot, it will foam (just like ProperD explained) and that's not what you want. But up to a 1/2 quart overfill is fine any more and I'd take some out.

1cm isn't much so I wouldn't worry about it, especially considering you are going on a 800 mile trip which will likely consume some oil in a 92' ES.
Old 10-18-13, 06:38 AM
vintagelex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well seems like it hopefully shouldn't be too much of an issue, next time I'll make sure to tell the people wherever I take it not to overfill it I'm surprised though, we've always taken it to jiffy lube and never had any problems at all, this was the first time.

As for changing my own oil, believe me I would, but we live in an apartment in downtown Chicago I have no driveway to do it in, and doing it on the side of the street doesn't seem like a good idea, especially since I don't have jackstands at the moment. I'll rather pay the $30 to have it changed than have it fall on me lol

Speaking of fluid levels, the transmission fluid is supposed to be checked while it's hot, right? or while the engine is actually running?
Old 10-18-13, 06:53 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Transmission fluid should be checked with the engine running and car up to operating temperature having been driven around for at least 15 minutes.
Old 10-18-13, 07:43 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mitmaks
Umm, no. You measure your oil when engine is cool and has been shut off for at least few minutes that way it circulates from top of engine back down into oil pan, that way you're taking accurate measurement. Those markings on dipstick are for oil in the oil pan.
A little bit more oil is not as bad as when they forget to add any or forget to install an oil filter.
I said warm engine. That means the engine has been off for a few minutes.

Your engine will not be cool after a few minutes of shutting off.....unless you live in the north / south pole.
Old 10-18-13, 08:44 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

They may not have bothered to let all of the old oil drain out.
Old 10-18-13, 09:46 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hypervish
Transmission fluid should be checked with the engine running and car up to operating temperature having been driven around for at least 15 minutes.
http://www.wikihow.com/Check-and-Add...c-Transmission
Old 10-18-13, 02:15 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Guys, you know all these are outlined in your owner's manual.....

Quick Reply: Overfilled engine oil. How important is it?