ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: Where do you take your ES for an oil/filter change?
yourself
40.32%
independent service shop
19.35%
Lexus service
22.04%
non-Lexus service
18.28%
friend or relative
0%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Where do you take your ES for an oil/filter change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-05, 03:36 PM
johnnyt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

local oil change shop, just went it for 150k oil change!!
Old 01-04-05, 04:11 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know I'm going to get flamed for this (but someone has to tell the emperor he has no clothes on) , but you who don't change your own oil should be ashamed of yourself. I've been changing my own oil for quite a while and would never let any idiotic oil place or a rip-off dealer change my oil/filter.

-What kind of real car enthusiast takes their car to "junky-lube" or the dealer to change the oil ??

-If you're too scared to get your hands dirty changing the oil, then what else can you ever learn how to fix yourself on your car ?

-Sure, time is $$ but you get to know your car when you're underneath and you know it's done right -- I've seen quite a few over-torqued drain plugs after a friend took one into a lube place.

...think of this email the next time you're in the little waiting room with the ladies and the yuppies...

oh well, just my 02 - flame away !!!
Old 01-04-05, 04:24 PM
johnnyt
Pole Position

my local shop workers actually are all car tuners and they love my car and i hang out with them in the garage as they are doing it. I use their vacum and do the light checks for them. i dont do any mechanical work in my car i let shops that i trust touch my car. obviously i will have almost spent almost 8 stacks(grand) on my car in customizing and repairs in the past 10 months. So i do car about my car.
Old 01-04-05, 05:31 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jpw
I know I'm going to get flamed for this (but someone has to tell the emperor he has no clothes on) , but you who don't change your own oil should be ashamed of yourself. I've been changing my own oil for quite a while and would never let any idiotic oil place or a rip-off dealer change my oil/filter.

-What kind of real car enthusiast takes their car to "junky-lube" or the dealer to change the oil ??

-If you're too scared to get your hands dirty changing the oil, then what else can you ever learn how to fix yourself on your car ?

-Sure, time is $$ but you get to know your car when you're underneath and you know it's done right -- I've seen quite a few over-torqued drain plugs after a friend took one into a lube place.

...think of this email the next time you're in the little waiting room with the ladies and the yuppies...

oh well, just my 02 - flame away !!!
It's just not feasible for every body, bro.
Old 01-05-05, 09:05 AM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

chuckb said >It's just not feasible for every body, bro.

You're absolutely right and I should have made allowances for that in my post , ie live in an apartment or live in an area where you just don't have the space...

Sure, not everyone can do this..

Even I had to do this once...we just moved , bought a used car, and were staying in a temporary apartment. We wanted to go into the Oregon Mountains and it (oil change) was loooong overdue. My tools were packed away in the garage behind about 56 boxes. So I went to (ick) one of 'those places' before we left. I checked the oil before we went in and it was 3/4 full...so what does the oil-changer do ? He types "low oil level" on the invoice and then OVERFILLS the frikkin thing about 1/2 qt of oil too much...that was the first/last time for me...

I guess there are quite a few out there who just dump $$$ in their car and sit back but I think if you do this I think you're missing out...
Old 01-22-05, 01:40 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H
I change my own oil. That way, I know its done right...

Not so fun though. I have no idea why Toyota put the oil filter right under the exhaust manifold.
you think you got it bad? try doing it on a contour...*Shudders*

i knew garages that refused to do the oil change on my contour, becuase fo the oil filter location. you have to removce the front wheel, its under the intake manifold, btween the block and the R&P. you have 3 inches to play with,the filter is 4 inches wide...good luck!

LOL.

Compared to that car, my ES is a breeze!

and toysrme is right, you need to let the car drip for a while.
Old 01-24-05, 12:21 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Where do you have oil changes?

I purchase Mobil 1 Super Syn 5-30W and M1-102 oil filter and my local service station charges me $10.00 to change the oil and filter. Of course I keep the receipts and have the date and mileage recorded and signed in the maintainence manual.
Old 01-24-05, 06:22 PM
Dan H
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
you think you got it bad? try doing it on a contour...*Shudders*

i knew garages that refused to do the oil change on my contour, becuase fo the oil filter location. you have to removce the front wheel, its under the intake manifold, btween the block and the R&P. you have 3 inches to play with,the filter is 4 inches wide...good luck!

LOL.

Compared to that car, my ES is a breeze!

and toysrme is right, you need to let the car drip for a while.
Hmm...you're right, the ES is actually not that bad. Its more difficult to change the oil filter on my RX7 but probably not as bad as your Contour. The oil filter on my RX7 is under the intercooler and under a few hoses and wires.
Old 02-04-05, 12:56 PM
lexsterES
Pole Position

It’s done at do- it your self Lexster garage... nothing but Mobil 1 5w30 under my hood!!!
Old 02-09-05, 12:37 AM
Lexes397
Rookie

yup...garage w/ mobile 1 every 4k-5k
Old 02-21-05, 10:58 AM
rsa supra
Pole Position

I use an idependant shop for everything on my ES, Supra, all previous cars, and now for any non-warranty work on the SC430.

Car Aid
Santa Ana, CA
714-547-8759
Old 02-21-05, 11:21 AM
tony Stark
Driver School Candidate

Still can't decide where to take mine tomorrow. Need to change the oil plus trany also need 70,000 mile service done. Really thinking on going to the lexus dealer but not 100% sure yet.
Old 03-19-05, 12:10 PM
JenzLEX
Driver

Angry

I have been taking mine to wal-mart to get it changed. I like that I can pick out the oil and they use that kind. Not very cheap though becase I get that synthtic oil that's about $4.00 a quart. But now I don't believe I will be taking it there anymore. Yesterday I took it to the local Toyota dealer to get the transmission fluid flussed and they asked if I have been putting the green anti-freeze and my car and I said no. Well apparently wal-mart did and the green stuff will cause the radiator to rust. I know it uses the pink kind. Shouldn't the other people who deal with that stuff know too? Might have a problem or a new car here.
Old 03-19-05, 01:57 PM
Kyosuke86
Driver

I haven't had any problems yet at lexus. I just feel safer that they do it rather than having someone else do it. For one thing the Lexus technicians have been trained, It's probably more expensive than some of the other places, but i feel that it's worth it. Lexus has not given me any problems, so far.
Old 03-22-05, 01:33 PM
eman_be_lexin
Driver School Candidate

i take my car to the Wal Mart around the corner. It is about $29 bucks for a synthetic oil change. Mobile1 10w 30

Quick Reply: Where do you take your ES for an oil/filter change?