ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: Where do you take your ES for an oil/filter change?
yourself
40.32%
independent service shop
19.35%
Lexus service
22.04%
non-Lexus service
18.28%
friend or relative
0%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Where do you take your ES for an oil/filter change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-05, 02:38 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyosuke86
I haven't had any problems yet at lexus. I just feel safer that they do it rather than having someone else do it. For one thing the Lexus technicians have been trained, It's probably more expensive than some of the other places, but i feel that it's worth it. Lexus has not given me any problems, so far.
Your sig is too big! 450x100 is the max.
Old 03-28-05, 01:34 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I just hit 225K yesterday on my ES 300 and I will be changing my oil after work tonight. It gives my great pleasure knowing that I'm doing a great job on changing my own oil. I've been changing oil for over 10 years.
Old 05-06-06, 08:18 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I take my car to Mobil/Sunoco

Sorry, I'm a wimp compared to all you do it yourselfers. Do it yourself and it should be done right all the time. I'm a firm believer in that.

In my ES300 I didn't like the placement of the oil filter right next to the hot exhaust manifold. The garage is cramped, and I don't have a nice jack - excuses no. just reasons.

I take my car to Mobil (now Sunoco) for their services. It's cheaper than Lexus dealership and I get to see them do it 5 feet away. They only charge me labor since I bring all the parts. They even carry Toyota long life coolant and Toyota Type-IV transmission fluid.

What I hate about my local Lexus dealership is that they consistently return the car to me dirty. Sure, you CAN get a free car wash, with any service, but I say NO to their cloth car washer and re-used over and over again chamoises. They are more likely to scratch up the car. Then that leaves the insides, where they get oil and dirt over the door handles, steering wheel, etc. Sorry, I'm meticulous about my car because I spend tremendous time keeping it clean and looking good. Lexus service can be a dis-service if you ask me!
Old 06-04-06, 07:52 AM
amorgan64
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default walmart synthetic

i do walmart b/c it's close. but i also buy an upgraded filter b/c their std is only good for 3K miles, the upgrade is 7K.
i don't change my own b/c i don't want to deal w/ the used oil and filter, i know the pros have a better way...
Old 06-04-06, 07:54 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by amorgan64
i know the pros have a better way...
the dudes at Walmart are not pros
Old 06-05-06, 09:24 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I was looking at my previous post #47 not too far back which was over a year ago and I've gone over 31K miles since. As of now I'm over 256,000 miles. Wow, time and miles goes by very fast...
Old 08-04-06, 08:16 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really sad. The Lexus experience was supposed to mean Toyota quality/dependability with a drama-free, high quality dealership/service interaction. A notch above everything else. It looks like a large number of folks on this ES forum are doing everything they can to AVOID the Lexus service "experience."

Here in Plano we have a fantastic Lexus-only service shop, Davenport Motors. Heretofore, that is where oil changes and all other maintenance and repairs on my car are performed. It's the best of both worlds: they're Lexus-trained and it's all they work on, so they know the cars. And at the same time they're NOT a Lexus dealership (the problems about those have been cited many times previously in this, and all other threads).

You guys now have me seriously considering performing my own oil change. The only thing I'm not excited about is crawling under my car when its weight it supported above my person by mere ramps and blocks. I wish I had a lift.
Old 08-29-06, 02:25 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

We've traditionally used the Toyota dealership since its closer than the Lexus one and supposedly gets the job done. We bought the protection plan so all oil changes are free as long as its serviced at one of the Darcars' chain dealers, we just pay for the filter.

However, we brought it in to Lexus last time (which is an extra 30 min drive) and they did a carwash and cleaned the interior even though I forgot to ask. Plus, they actually balanced the tires! I've requested that Toyota do the balancing, but each time the wheel shimmy always came back at 75+mph. Now after Lexus did, 85mph and no shimmy/vibration! So either Toyota does a bad job, or doesn't do it at all
Old 02-23-07, 11:11 AM
mbud
Driver

I always take mine to my mechanic, he does a good job and chargers me a good price... and keeps track of my oil changes so i have a record of when they were all done.
Old 03-03-07, 09:24 AM
MCG33
Pole Position

I either do it myself or let Lexus do it if I have my car in for repairs and it is close to changing time.
Old 06-07-07, 08:19 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusk8
I used to take mine at this service/car wash shop two towns from where I work, but I recently discovered a cheaper, faster and (probably) better quality alternative at the local Toyota dealership. $22, and just a 20-min wait on average!

Yup, My toyota dealer who is literally 2 minutes away from my house and I bring my own oil and the oversized toyota filter yzzd3 and they change it for $10. I could do it myself for probably around $5-6 but I'd rather pay $10 extra and spend more quality time on other things.
Old 06-07-07, 08:52 AM
SirSkrip
Rookie

I do mine mostly at the dealer and when i dont have time to drive that far, I do it at a local toyota/lexus specialty unofficial shop. (which is much cheaper than the dealer and uses lexus parts).
Old 06-07-07, 10:09 AM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

I do it at work on my days off
Old 06-08-07, 01:58 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Wink

Originally Posted by 92ES5sp
I do it at work on my days off
Must be nice to have the lift/pit to do that work in! *jealous*
Old 06-10-07, 01:27 PM
sub786sub
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil Flush + oil change

I always like to flush my engine . Oil change with flush is expensive. So I do my self . With every oil change I flush it . I have been doing this for last two years. It is worth to do engine flush.

Quick Reply: Where do you take your ES for an oil/filter change?