ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: Where do you take your ES for an oil/filter change?
yourself
40.32%
independent service shop
19.35%
Lexus service
22.04%
non-Lexus service
18.28%
friend or relative
0%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Where do you take your ES for an oil/filter change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-03, 02:38 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Where do you take your ES for an oil/filter change?

I used to take mine at this service/car wash shop two towns from where I work, but I recently discovered a cheaper, faster and (probably) better quality alternative at the local Toyota dealership. $22, and just a 20-min wait on average!
Old 01-21-03, 03:06 PM
njes300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$24 local toyota dealer . i usually take it on sat . 29 min or its free .
Old 01-21-03, 03:10 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by njes300
... and you know how it goes... it's Domino's!
Old 01-21-03, 03:43 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my garage, unless it's part of a major service interval, then its Lexus of Norwood.

word to the wise. If you do it yourself or don't take it to a Lexus dealer, save your reciepts.
When I change it myself I always write the date and mileage on the new filter with a black sharpie.

This way the dealer can't say you neglected your oil changes and void your warranty.

steviej
Old 01-23-03, 11:57 PM
iNdoMeX
Driver

i take it to allied tires and services....like $7 or somethin for oil and filter change, tire rotation, and wheel alignment

cheap cuz tire rotation and wheel alignment are free since i bought my tires from there and we got a 2 year warranty for the alignment
Old 06-09-03, 01:35 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

used to take it to generic places, especially Discount Tire Centers because they had the $13 oil change coupons in the paper. but one day the new manager there pissed me off....then i discovered a nice auto racing shop from japan (signal auto, usa) and started going there.
i still take my cars there. they take the time to know YOU and your car and the best part is, you can literally stand under your car on the lift and touch it while they do everything. going to the big chain store places made me uneasy in a way because sometimes they drive your car to the back and make you sit in the waiting room out front w/ stale donuts and refuse to let you see your car "for insurance purposes." at signal auto, it feels more like taking it to a good friend's shop where they take care of me well.
Old 06-09-03, 08:04 AM
SlashBecks
Rookie

Since I've only had my car for three months, I just had one oil change done so far, from Monro Brake and Muffler. Even though I'm very wary of chain stores, this branch is still ok 'cause I can walk around in the shop and see exactly what they're doing with my car. Plus the manager is really helpful, I've gotten some free work done from him too But looking at people who have their oil change done at Toyota for $22, maybe I should just take it there...considering though that the main difference here is that Toyota will use the OEM oil filter, maybe I can just get the filter myself and take it to monro, i should ask about that...
Old 06-09-03, 09:26 AM
Invisibleman
Driver

When you guys take your car to the toyota dealer, what kind of oil do they change it with?
Old 06-09-03, 11:09 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Invisibleman
When you guys take your car to the toyota dealer, what kind of oil do they change it with?
never been serviced at the toyota dealer, but i guzzle in Neo synthetic, especially if i can afford it by promising to eat mcdonald's for the rest of the month.

Last edited by meZoom!; 06-09-03 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-10-03, 08:14 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Myself...

Express dose an OK job... Then again one time I had them tell me my back right tailight was out and my filter was clogged...

I hate to be negative, but 90% of car stores have a 33% chance to BS the next person that walks in the door. Not even a general car statement. Just directed to many forms of business...

I do it myself whenever I can btw.

I figure every time I've ever done it myself, oil is still comming out an hour later, so why on Earth would I want it done in less than 10 min?

Besides... They always leave nothing short of a mess under the hood. They never clean up their oil spills which can rival the Exxon spill if you've ever looked at your oil filter after they've done...

Ewwy... Barrel oil <hurls> I'd rather buy 100% good oil by the case.
Old 06-10-03, 09:28 PM
beab951
Rookie

That is a good question, what type of oil are they putting in the car? The oil change is a simple operation, happens in my garage with my oil and filter.
Old 06-16-03, 05:09 PM
Skinny
Driver

I take my cars to a friend who owns a shop. I buy my own oil(Mobil Synthetic blend) and Lexus/Toyota oil filter and he does it for $10.

NO way, am I paying $100 for a oil change and tire rotation at a Lexus dealer.
Old 06-17-03, 11:48 AM
JasonChen
Lead Lap

Originally posted by njes300
when I first got my car I took it to a local toyota dealer for oil/tranny fluid change. they wonuldn't take it!!! they just pointed to the lexus dealer's direction and said I had to go there.

now I just change it myself on both cars.

Last edited by JasonChen; 06-17-03 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-19-03, 06:24 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take the ES to the Lexus dealer. I have to double check my receipts but I believe the basic oil and filter change is around $40-50.

There are three reasons why I spend the extra money

1. The dealer has a full service record of the car, so in the event of a warranty dispute or the sale of the car, all the information is readily obtainable from one place.

2. The dealer specializes in Lexus, so naturally the know the car VERY WELL. They also check on other mechanics of the car and let me know what's goin' on.

3. LOANER!!!! (even though I'm not old enough to drive it, but we keep that on the DL )

lexusk8, this Toyota dealer deal is tempting. You say they do it in 29 min or its free @ $22? Is this at all Toyota dealers nationwide?

Also, I saw a loaner Corolla from my local dealer on the expressway yesterday, have Toyota dealer's started supplying free loaners?
Old 06-19-03, 06:42 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Xenon, I never mentioned about the "29-min deal" for those Toyota oil changes, never heard of it either. But for $22 with quality Toyota oil and filter and a 15 to 20-min wait, you can't go wrong with it. It's been talked about many times before... most of the services and maintenance work on your ES can be done at a Toyota dealership for a much cheaper cost, but not all Toyota 'ships will touch a Lexus for whatever reason, so you'll have to check your local one to make sure. Like Lexus, Toyota provides free loaners like Camrys and Corollas for certain service work.

Quick Reply: Where do you take your ES for an oil/filter change?