ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Battery or Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-13 | 12:02 PM
Rich8692
Driver School Candidate

Default Battery or Electrical Problems

So about a week ago I jump started a buddy of mines car a 98 Mitsubishi eclipse gst well about two days later my battery light came on it was intermediate were as it would turn on and off, until about two days ago it was coming in steady, I'm driving a 2000 ES300 platnuem edition the battery is new as of 5/13 its a Walmart everlast.

Back to the car now yesterday I noticed my driver side headlight bulb was out, I had a new spare in the trunk so I popped it in and nothing will not turn on the high beam works same as the passenger side headlight works so I want yo get some opinions on what's going on could I have possibly fried/shorted my altanator giving my friend a jump if that's possibl , or could I have a short in my headlight wiring, or defective battery from it just starting to get cold in my area, at this point I'm lost and don't know were to start I would appreciate advice or tips...

Also I doubt this is related but my abs light comes on then trac off light will start flashing I believe it may be my ABS speed sensor but I just figured I should mention just in case, some times the check enging will come on for a brief moment when the abs light comes on (abs trac off not steady on and off hear and their)
But just started a week ago or so also
Old 11-03-13 | 12:49 PM
Ravencrave
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rich8692
So about a week ago I jump started a buddy of mines car a 98 Mitsubishi eclipse gst well about two days later my battery light came on it was intermediate were as it would turn on and off, until about two days ago it was coming in steady, I'm driving a 2000 ES300 platnuem edition the battery is new as of 5/13 its a Walmart everlast.

Back to the car now yesterday I noticed my driver side headlight bulb was out, I had a new spare in the trunk so I popped it in and nothing will not turn on the high beam works same as the passenger side headlight works so I want yo get some opinions on what's going on could I have possibly fried/shorted my altanator giving my friend a jump if that's possibl , or could I have a short in my headlight wiring, or defective battery from it just starting to get cold in my area, at this point I'm lost and don't know were to start I would appreciate advice or tips...

Also I doubt this is related but my abs light comes on then trac off light will start flashing I believe it may be my ABS speed sensor but I just figured I should mention just in case, some times the check enging will come on for a brief moment when the abs light comes on (abs trac off not steady on and off hear and their)
But just started a week ago or so also
I had the same issue with the abs trac off light on and blinking. The problem was an abs sensor in the back when I replaced the shock absorbers.
As far as your battery light, have you hooked up a voltage meter to see how many volts your alternator is putting out? Same with your battery....need to check how many volts it is putting out. If they are both good then you can determine if your headlight is shorting out. Your alternator should be putting out between 13 and 14 volts to keep the battery charged.
Old 11-03-13 | 12:59 PM
Rich8692
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ravencrave

I had the same issue with the abs trac off light on and blinking. The problem was an abs sensor in the back when I replaced the shock absorbers.
As far as your battery light, have you hooked up a voltage meter to see how many volts your alternator is putting out? Same with your battery....need to check how many volts it is putting out. If they are both good then you can determine if your headlight is shorting out. Your alternator should be putting out between 13 and 14 volts to keep the battery charged.

Yeah my front passenger shock is bad and I hear a little jingle uotheir so Ima pull the wheel and take a look what does the abs sensor look like, and also were should I test the altanator with the volt meter after I start up my car
Old 11-03-13 | 03:40 PM
Ravencrave
Rookie

This is what an abs sensor looks like. The sensor bolts in near your brake caliper. The rear sensor will have a longer wire and bolts in the same way but connects under the back of the back seat inside the car.

As far as checking voltage, I use a voltage meter that plugs into a 12v outlet or cigarette lighter.
Old 11-03-13 | 03:59 PM
Rich8692
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ravencrave
This is what an abs sensor looks like. The sensor bolts in near your brake caliper. The rear sensor will have a longer wire and bolts in the same way but connects under the back of the back seat inside the car.

As far as checking voltage, I use a voltage meter that plugs into a 12v outlet or cigarette lighter.
OK thank you I appreciate the help also I meant by where should I make contact on the altanator to test the voltage.

Also I was told that if I was to leave my car running and I disconnect the positive terminal and if the car shut off my altanator was bad I did this and it shut off I'm not sure how accurate what I was is true or not but just thought I would throw that out their.
Old 11-03-13 | 04:02 PM
Rich8692
Driver School Candidate

Also throw this out their from what I said early about the driver side headlight being out now same thing has happend with passenger headlight it was on I switched off then backbone and it stayed off I'm not sure if the bulb blew or what but I doubt that, my side marker lights stay on as well as fog lights and my rear lights.

I pray this isn't electrical
Old 11-03-13 | 04:48 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rich8692
OK thank you I appreciate the help also I meant by where should I make contact on the altanator to test the voltage.

Also I was told that if I was to leave my car running and I disconnect the positive terminal and if the car shut off my altanator was bad I did this and it shut off I'm not sure how accurate what I was is true or not but just thought I would throw that out their.
Don't ever disconnect a battery on a running car. You'll blow some electronic components, and could permanantly damage your alternator and/or regulator.

Phil