ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Starting problems galore!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-13, 03:50 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by articmonke
it sounds like a charging issue and a very fast battery drain
you possibly are draining the battery somehow
any recent wiring or new electronics added?
the wires that go to battery the positive and ground check for corrosion. If theres corrosion then thats another possible reason for bad charging which means car will most likely only start on a fresh charge or jump.
The wires that go to the starter and alternator(mainly) check there for corrosion as well.
The corrosion is white or green you can clean it off with a wire brush and try everything again with a fresh battery.
Another thing if you have a multimeter you need to place it on the battery terminals after the fresh charge. It will give your voltage reading. With the car off check to see if its draining(the voltage is lowering). If its lowering with the car off than thats a hard problem to fix over the interweb.
If its not draining with the car off than try it with the car running. Give it 30 seconds for the alternator to give its all and if the voltage starts to continuously drop than you need a new alternator.

I hope its simple but cars suck like that

let me know if the power drains with the car off i have some things you can try to isolate the problem
I don't think that's the issue, read this paragraph.

After installing a new starter, new starter relay, and a new battery, the car started right up and was fine for about 7 or 8 more starts, then it would not turn over again. My buddy brought his test meter over again the next morning and we found that the new battery was at 12.4 volts, just fine. When we turned the key this time it started right up again with no problem. While it was running we tested the alternator and it was found to be charging at 14.5 volts, so no problem there either.
Old 11-29-13, 08:32 PM
articmonke
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbooby
i don't think that's the issue, read this paragraph.
i kinda missed that part lol
Old 11-29-13, 08:34 PM
articmonke
Rookie

Then at that time all I can think is like a faulty sensor or even the ecu
Old 11-30-13, 01:16 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

I know this might be irrelevant, but hopefully it will spark some thoughts that might help you out. I once had a Crank but No Start. It turned out to be a loose connection at the fuel pump. All I had to do was adjust the gap in the electrical connector and it fixed the issue.
Old 12-02-13, 08:32 AM
ChrisGC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PFB
Just a thought.

Are you losing coolant by any chance?

If yes, you may have a blown head gasket, or a cracked block, causing coolant to enter the cylinders, causing hydrolock, and preventing your engine from turning over.

Phil
This is hardly worth a response. Did you read the original post at all, or any of the subsequent posts I made?
Old 12-02-13, 08:39 AM
ChrisGC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitmaks
You need to watch this video for your starting problems troubleshooting. Don't just go replacing parts, there was nothing wrong with starter in first place.
Diagnosing Starter Problems- EricTheCarGuy - YouTube

No Crank, No Start Diagnosis - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube
I forgot to mention that when I pulled the old starter I took it with me to the parts store so I wouldn't have to make another trip to bring the old one back for the core charge. Before I purchased the new one I had them bench test the old one, and yes it WAS bad and it DID need replaced.

"This ain't my first rodeo son". But hey, what do I know. I've only been working on my own vehicles for about 38 years now.
Old 12-02-13, 08:46 AM
ChrisGC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I think you're having an electrical connection issue. And it's probably somewhere in the starting system, such as the ignition cylinder.

I was first thinking that you were having a parasitic draw, but it doesn't make sense for the car to die after only 30 minutes. In addition, you said the battery tests out fine. Lastly, I was thinking about starter solenoid contacts, but you said the starter has been replaced (which includes the contacts).
That was my first thought too. But we couldn't find any at all.

Lastly, it could be something as simple as a neutral/parking switch in the transmission. Check your linkages.
Already checked that as soon as the new starter didn't work. Doesn't seem to be the problem.

p.s.: In the times that the engine does not turn over, when you turn your key to the ON position (NOT cranking), do you see all the warning lights, as well as the CEL?
To be honest I don't recall. (Why? What would this indicate or not?) I'll take a peek when the wife brings it home after work. However the problem hasn't reoccurred for almost a week now. It's been starting up just fine.
Old 12-02-13, 08:51 AM
ChrisGC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BDSL
It might be the ignition switch.
Possibly. That would explain the problem being intermittent. However when that has happened on other vehicles I've seen this in you can you can usually get the car to start anyway by simply jiggling the key until it works.
Old 12-02-13, 08:59 AM
ChrisGC
Driver School Candidate

it sounds like a charging issue and a very fast battery drain
you possibly are draining the battery somehow
any recent wiring or new electronics added?
the wires that go to battery the positive and ground check for corrosion. If theres corrosion then thats another possible reason for bad charging which means car will most likely only start on a fresh charge or jump.
The wires that go to the starter and alternator(mainly) check there for corrosion as well.
The corrosion is white or green you can clean it off with a wire brush and try everything again with a fresh battery.
Another thing if you have a multimeter you need to place it on the battery terminals after the fresh charge. It will give your voltage reading. With the car off check to see if its draining(the voltage is lowering). If its lowering with the car off than thats a hard problem to fix over the interweb.
If its not draining with the car off than try it with the car running. Give it 30 seconds for the alternator to give its all and if the voltage starts to continuously drop than you need a new alternator.

I hope its simple but cars suck like that

let me know if the power drains with the car off i have some things you can try to isolate the problem
No new electronics or anything other than the new starter and starter relay. The positive and ground cable ends were cleaned as soon as the new started failed to even move upon installation. The battery in the car now is new since the old one was found to have a dead cell when tested, so it needed replaced anyway. Since it was only two years old it only cost $54 after being prorated on warranty.
I already checked the new battery and the alternator. The new battery hasn't shown any signs of draining at all and the alternator is charging just fine. Battery keeps 12.4 volts constant, and alternator charges at 14.5 volts.
Old 12-02-13, 09:01 AM
ChrisGC
Driver School Candidate

i kinda missed that part lol
No biggee.
Old 12-02-13, 09:05 AM
ChrisGC
Driver School Candidate

Then at that time all I can think is like a faulty sensor or even the ecu
I'm thinking the same thing. But right now everything is just fine and after a couple of "no turn over" problems in the first few days after the new starter, starter relay, and battery was installed, the car has been starting just fine. Go figure.

The only thing that I have noticed is that when it didn't start the last few times it was right after it had been driven a while. If it sits for a time it starts right up. But since the problem seems to have disappeared I'm not touching anything else until it happens again multiple times.
Old 12-02-13, 09:09 AM
ChrisGC
Driver School Candidate

I know this might be irrelevant, but hopefully it will spark some thoughts that might help you out. I once had a Crank but No Start. It turned out to be a loose connection at the fuel pump. All I had to do was adjust the gap in the electrical connector and it fixed the issue.
HAHA!

Since my problem was "no crank, no start" I don't think it's an issue with the fuel pump. But I'll keep that in mind for future reference.
Old 12-02-13, 02:48 PM
fwig1988
Driver School Candidate

Default need more info

Thanks everybody for responding. MR.Bobby I think you maybe right I was looking over the car again and I remembered last time car started I was in neutral. So I put it in neutral car started up just fine. I put back in park turned car off and got nothing when I tried to restart it. I got out of the car and I was able to push the car back forth about a foot or so easily like the car was in neutral but it was in park. Any info how to fix? video would be nice if it is a simple job
Old 12-02-13, 02:58 PM
fwig1988
Driver School Candidate

I think you're having an electrical connection issue. And it's probably somewhere in the starting system, such as the ignition cylinder.

I was first thinking that you were having a parasitic draw, but it doesn't make sense for the car to die after only 30 minutes. In addition, you said the battery tests out fine. Lastly, I was thinking about starter solenoid contacts, but you said the starter has been replaced (which includes the contacts).

Lastly, it could be something as simple as a neutral/parking switch in the transmission. Check your linkages.

p.s.: In the times that the engine does not turn over, when you turn your key to the ON position (NOT cranking), do you see all the warning lights, as well as the CEL?
I think you right about neutral/park switch. I was able to start car in neutral but not park. Also when I got of car I could push it back and forth with ease with it was still in park. You this is a simple fix can you give me more info?